• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Onslow
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Perth, Western Australia

Toyota Landcruiser 200 Series Experience

A number of you have asked, so here it is.

After eight months of ownership and 25,000km of predominantly touring travel, I thought I'd give you my experiences with a Landcruiser 200 Series, and how this vehicle compares with the Gen 3 and 4 Pajero. I don't have the time to add fine detail so its a generalisation in most cases, but you'll get the gist of it all. The 200 series is a diesel. And my experience is with the Gen 3 and 4 NW VRX 3.2lt, so consider this when reading my comments too.

Physical Size:
    The Landcruiser is slightly longer, wider and taller than the Paj. But it weights 421kg more. It takes up more space in carparks and has car doors opened on it regularly. Being wider it also gains its off road pinstripes a lot earlier than a Paj. Internal space in the Landcruiser is cavernous by comparison, including rear passenger seats and cargo area.

Build Design and Quality:
    There is quite a large different here. The Pajero is designed to be lightweight and compact, features which make it so nimble. The Landcruiser is a stronger vehicle and has a higher 4WD component bias if that makes sense. Everything is tucked out of harms way, and underbody components seem much heavier duty. Which makes it a much heavier vehicle too. Roof weight is 200kg according to the Toyota specs - not sure that I would ever test that capacity though!

GVM.
    A standard 200 Series has a maximum payload of 610kg. A standard Pajero has a higher maximum payload of 711kg! So out of the box the Paj can carry a heavier load. However there are GVM upgrades available for the 200 Series, not for the Paj, and this is the deciding factor when looking at load capacity and tow capacity. There are also options to upgrade braked towing capacity, and to increase GVM to stupid levels from the original GVM of 3350kg to 4200kg! In my case my GVM upgrade to 3845kg gives me a payload of 1105kg, which is much more suitable for touring and medium weight towing. Increasing GVM reduces towing capacity though, as the GCM remains the same.

Drivability on road:
    The 200 series vs Pajero experience in navy terms could be compared to an aircraft carrier versus a destroyer. The Paj is a suburb vehicle for manoeuvrability, acceleration and drivability. It is very nimble on road for a 4WD, drives like a car, and gives the driver plenty of feedback. It is understated, and more capable than most realise. On the other hand the Landcruiser is a big mass, and just lopes along in comfort without much fuss, and with little driver feedback. As touring vehicles both are exceptional units for drivability and will easily cover road touring distances in comfort.

Drivability off road:
    I always found the Paj to be quietly confident and very underrated off road. It took me everywhere I wanted to go over 14 years of owning the Gen3/4 platform. The Landcruiser by comparison has much more ground clearance, and much more wheel travel. Its 4wd system is more advanced too, so its a more capable drive off road. This is really only a factor if traversing harder 4wd obstacles, but it does instil confidence. The crawl control function is just brilliant, and seems to negate the need for diff locks in most cases. Low range appears to be much lower geared than the Pajero, however I haven't checked the specs to confirm either way. I haven't touched the brakes in a steep descent yet, whereas I had to do this regularly in the Pajero.

NVH: Noise, Vibration & Harshness:
    Due to their monocoque chassis configuration the Pajero is quite a noisy platform in comparison. The Landcruiser is a very quiet vehicle considering its bulk and aerodynamics. There is very little road noise or wind noise transmitted, although aftermarket modifications do change this slightly as they do with the Pajero.

Fuel Consumption:
    This is not for the faint hearted. If you're worried about the cost of fuel on your wallet then the Landcruiser is not the best option. I've seen figures as low as 9.2/100, but around town is a consistent 13-14/100 with the modifications that I have. The Pajero is much more frugal on fuel when not towing. I think the economy tables turn when towing large vans, but only just.

Power and Torque:
    Landcruiser standard - 200kw and 650nm. At total GVM of 3350kg that's a power to weight ratio of .059 kw/kg (Torque to weight ratio is .19 nm/kg)
    Landcruiser GVM upgraded - 200kw and 650nm. At total GVM of 3845kg that's a power to weight ratio of .052 kw/kg (Torque to weight ratio is .17 nm/kg)
    Pajero - 141kw and 441NM. At a total GVM of 3030 that's a power to weight ratio of .046 kw/kg (Torque to weight ratio is .15 nm/kg)
    So the Landcruiser V8 motor is more powerful and has more torque per kg of weight, even after a GVM upgrade, than the Pajero. This is the real advantage for touring and towing, but it comes at a cost at the bowser unfortunately.

Reliability:
    You can't fault the reliability of the Pajero drivetrain - it is bombproof. The Landcruiser drivetrain is also very reliable.....however the motor itself isn't as well designed as it could be for outback travel. The starter motor is in the valley of the V8 and is notorious for failing if not allowed to dry out after water crossings. The alternator is quite low in the engine bay and is also notorious for failing following water crossings and heavy mud work. And the standard air filter has some atrocious shortcomings that have caused premature engine failures! Each of these design features need to be well managed to ensure the motors longevity. Having said that, there are many 200 Series around with over 400,000km on the clock and still going strong.

So my final appraisal is:

The Landcruiser is a very comfortable vehicle for touring and towing.

If you find your Pajero is close to or over its GVM, whether towing or not, the 200 Series is a good alternative, but only with a GVM upgrade.

If you are towing 2500kg to 3000kg ish regularly then a 200 Series with a GVM upgrade is a good alternative. Above this towing weight and you really need to do your calculations on GVM, GCM and BTC to ensure that you make the correct decisions when setting this vehicle up. Either way they definitely have more options and greater flexibility for weight carrying and towing than the Pajero.

A 200 Series without a GVM upgrade is probably no advantage over a Pajero except for comfort.

A power module or remapped Pajero will come close to a standard 200 Series for power and torque.

If you love the sound and feel of a V8 the Landcruiser will put a smile on your face all day!

The Pajero is a much more frugal option.

If you spend a lot of time around the city and as a daily driver the Pajero is definitely the better option, whilst remaining a great touring vehicle.

Hope this helps anyone deciding to move from a Pajero to a Cruiser or vice versa. Ive probably missed a few things, so ask any questions that you like.
    NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

A good honest review, thanks.

Particularly with regard to towing capacity. Too many people by a Landcruiser and think they can tow the Queen Mary.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2016
      • Greater Sydney

Actually the ground clearance is identical at 225mm.

Comment

• Keithyv
        Valued Member
        • May 2018
        • Perth

Surely the Landcruiser is a bit more than 'slightly' longer/ taller and wider than the Paj?

Great write up though.
        My only experience with the LC200 is a friend who has a Petrol one.
        Now THAT is thirsty but still a great vehicle, and thankfully they use it as it was intended - lots of country travel and off road & towing work.
        2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
        MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Pixie_au
          • Apr 2019
          • Queensland

Thanks for the time to do the write up Onslow

Approximately, what is a GVM upgrade worth?

Had never really thought about the propensity for car park dents due to the extra width.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jasonmc73
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2019
            • Brisbane

Much appreciated,

One day someone will build the perfect vehicle.

Pajero between $30K & mid $40's I can get quite a lot of vehicle from 2015 VGC GLX/GLS low K's to 2020 GLX brand new.
            Leaning towards 2015/2016 due to diff ratio's & DPF of later, hanging off for a while COVID-19 financial Jitters

Landcruiser 200 series definately reminds me of a heavier horse than the Pajero, next size up I reckon.

Pajero to me is more in sync with Lancruiser Prado, in my budget range as well
            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• mrbitchi
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007
              • Brisbane

Pretty well sums up my experience with my 200. Had it for about 4 yrs now and agree with what you say. Our old NM Paj was a MUCH better handling car than the Tojo. The Tojo however is far superior when it comes to long range cruising over outback roads, sealed and unsealed. Eats corrugations where as the Paj used to hate them.

If I was in the market for a town car I'd probably go for another Paj, but the cruiser is my retirement car. Hooking up the van and touring for a few years is the goal.
              Cheers, John.
              LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
              Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2016
                • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
                Surely the Landcruiser is a bit more than 'slightly' longer/ taller and wider than the Paj? .
                Length. 200 series 4,99 metres.
                Length Pajero 4.385 metres and that includes the spare wheel.

Width 200 series 1.95 metres.
                Width Pajero 1.85 metres

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                  Length. 200 series 4,99 metres.
                  Length Pajero 4.385 metres and that includes the spare wheel.

Width 200 series 1.95 metres.
                  Width Pajero 1.85 metres
                  SWB Gen 4 is 4385mm but the LWB is 4900mm including the spare tyre.

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2016
                    • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                    SWB Gen 4 is 4385mm but the LWB is 4900mm including the spare tyre.

OJ.

Oops. I read the SWB length. Need to get the other cataract done.

Comment

• erad
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Cooma NSW

I am surprised that the Pajero is only 100 mm shorter and narrower than the Landbruiser. Sitting beside a Tojo in traffic, they seem huge compared to my Pajero. I think that the cabin must be at least 150 mm or more higher than the Pajero. That would make a difference in underground carparks in the city (not that I go to any of those very often).

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2016
                        • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by erad View Post
                        I am surprised that the Pajero is only 100 mm shorter and narrower than the Landbruiser. Sitting beside a Tojo in traffic, they seem huge compared to my Pajero. I think that the cabin must be at least 150 mm or more higher than the Pajero. That would make a difference in underground carparks in the city (not that I go to any of those very often).
                        Erad.

I live 65 Ks from Sydney and we have a giant Westfield 5Ks from me. Never been in their carpack.

Height. 200 series ranges from 1845mm to 2115mm depending on the variant according to carsguide.

Height. Pajero LWB 1.9 metres.

Comment

• Hill
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2007
                          • Adelaide

We also have a 200 series which replaced our well set up NT Pajero which did a great job including towing our offroad van for 45k km. It did a bit of offroad towing including Cape York and Gibb River Road. I do miss the 3rd row seat well storage and engine bay space of the Pajero.

The 200 copes with corrugations much better than the Paj. We also like its quiet effortless nature and especially when towiing. It uses a bit more fuel than the Paj but overall an extra 2L/100 km is likely for similar driving conditions.

There is no doubt that a 200 series is bigger than a Pajero however over time it seems like a smaller beast. Underground car parks are best avoided!

A 200 series is not a great city car. We have an i30 for general use.

If we only had one car and were still living in the city it wouldn't be a 200 series.

Hill
                          200 Series
                          AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• JoshF
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2008
                            • Brisbane

having been a back seat passenger in my sisters 200 series on OEM suspension, never have I felt so car sick cruising the country roads, the suspension dropped, rolled, pitched etc. It was so much better after some aftermarket kit was installed
                            NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                            Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
                              • Aug 2012
                              • Brisbane, Southside

A good write up by Onslow on the 200 Series, balanced and informative. I like many looked at a 200 Series, especially when considering outback touring with a roof top tinny.

I’d add to your comments that I just don’t like the sheer size and mass of this vehicle, noting that it would be used as my around town golf cart and for various shopping trips. Also at about $40,000 north of a Paj the Toyota tax kicks in hard and over five years a good return can be wrung out of that money. And that is before the cost GVM upgrades and other modifications as standard, payload is pretty poor.

As well, I was put off by the complexity of the package, twin turbos, a V8, pretty high service costs, and fuel consumption. I did a caravanning trip a couple of years ago in my old NP Paj, in company with a 200 Series and at each refill he was putting in at least twenty to thirty dollars more fuel, it adds up.

In the end it gets down to ‘wants’ and ‘needs’ and the truth is the Paj goes everywhere and does everything I need well, and to be honest it is more car like around town which I like.

Again, hats off though for a fair and balanced comparison.
                              Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
                              Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X