X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevenbowden
    • Jan 2008
    • Bundaberg

Good point. But If I was going serious outback I would put in a 2nd battery and run it direct off that. Going accessory power at this stage is more of a safe guard so that I don't accidently leave it on and flatten the battery.
    Cool Silver 25th Anniversary Edition Diesel Auto, ARB Bullbar, GME TX3440 UHF, Sandgrabbers, Raw 4x4 Suspension + Firestone Airbags, Airtec Snorkel, TJM IBS Dual Battery System, BushSkinz Intercooler/Sump/Transmission/Transfer Bash Plates & Side Steps, LRA 58lts Aux Tank, 17" ROH RTX with Bridgestone D697LT's + Australian Off Road Campers Quantum! Read about our Adventures HERE!

Comment

• Smocky
      • Jun 2008

I've run direct power from the battery with inline fuse.
      Jason., Sydney. 2008 DiD Exceed. Silver/Dakar, diff lock, sunroof, towbar, ARB steel bar, Magnum winch, tinted, OME 2" lift, GME 3440 UHF, Stebel air horn, 180XP Roo Lites and a RalliArt jacket

Comment

• Pete & Mon's NS
        Valued Member
        • May 2008
        • West Lakes - Adelaide, SA

Originally posted by Smocky View Post
        I've run direct power from the battery with inline fuse.
        Yep, I've always done it like this as well for 2 reasons:-

1. Straight from the abttery means you get max power transmitting from the UHF;

2. If you lose your car keys or they get wet and don't work, then at least you don't get stuck without a radio!

Of course, if your battery goes flat, then lord help you...

Peter
        | Gunmetal NS Exceed DiD with Dakar leather | Factory rear Diff Lock | Alloy Nudge Bar | MMCS | Moonroof | GME TX3440 | Custom rear Storage | Stebel Compact Air Horn |
        | Ford Focus XR5 Turbo in Electric Orange |

Comment

• 4wd26
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Bayside, Brisbane & Stradie

Thanks Guy, Thats always been my take on the matter as well.

I also don't like cutting into the existing wireing of a brand new vehicle, and then mucking around with solder etc in the cab.

Cheers.

Steve- if its not fitted up before the trip to Cania, bring the UHF along and we'll see what we can do.
          ML triton with some accessories
          National E Trek Libary
          Getting Out There

Comment

• Hookedon4wding
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Mornington Peninsula, VIC

Do you have to take the glovebox out to get to where the grommet in the firewall is or can you reach it from up under the glovebox?

Also, to get wiring from the grommet in the firewall to the drivers side of the cabin (when the switch blanks are around the steering wheel) do you have to take the dash apart or is there an easy way to feed wiring through? Looking to install some driving lights and I presume the best place to mount the switch is in one on the blanks.

Cheers, Sam.
            2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

• Smocky
              • Jun 2008

Hi Sam,

It's pretty straight forward to be honest. You don't need to take the glove box out or pull apart the dash, you can run the wires along the top of the carpet and behind the centre console. Heaps of space. Out through the drivers side of the console and do what you like from there. I've fitted driving lights with a switch but haven't mounted the switch yet.

Jason.
              Jason., Sydney. 2008 DiD Exceed. Silver/Dakar, diff lock, sunroof, towbar, ARB steel bar, Magnum winch, tinted, OME 2" lift, GME 3440 UHF, Stebel air horn, 180XP Roo Lites and a RalliArt jacket

Comment

• Bungee
                • Mar 2008

To run the wires through you need nothing more than a philips head screwdriver, a 30cm piece of fence wire and insullation tape (or a second person) and some patience.

You will need the fencing wire to poke through the hole in the firewall, The insulation tape is to tape your electrical wire onto it so you can drag it through the hole. If you have a second person you will be able to get them to poke the wire through and you will be able to grab it from under the dash.

1. Remove the panel below the glove box
                2. Remove the passenger side tread
                3. Remove the passanger side kick panel
                4. Remove the philips head screw on the lower section of the centre console trimming (on the RHS of the passanger footweel) then remove the panel, do the same on the drivers side of the transmission tunnel
                5. Remove the rubber grommet from under the bonnet and cut a hole in the middle of it
                6. Run your wires (putting them through the grommet first)
                7. Put the gromet back in the hole and use black silicone to seal
                8. Re-assemble your car!
                Bungee

2007 'envy green' NS Exceed 3.2 DiD, ARB Bar, Stebel Air Horn, Lightforce 170's, Traxide Dual Battery System, Advanti RIOT wheels with 265/70/17 BFG AT KO's, GME radio, OME Suspension Lift and a very long wish list...

Comment

• Hookedon4wding
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Mornington Peninsula, VIC

Hi Sam,

It's pretty straight forward to be honest. You don't need to take the glove box out or pull apart the dash, you can run the wires along the top of the carpet and behind the centre console. Heaps of space. Out through the drivers side of the console and do what you like from there. I've fitted driving lights with a switch but haven't mounted the switch yet.

Jason.
                  Do you need to worry about running new wires too close to existing ones? I presume behind the centre console is chocka block with wires anyway?
                  2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

• Smocky
                    • Jun 2008

There's actually quite a bit of room behind the centre console. We found it quite easy to run the wires from the passenger side through to the drivers side. I had a UHF and a bunch of wires and cables stuffed in the gap

Comment

• Bungee
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Hookedon4wding View Post
                      Do you need to worry about running new wires too close to existing ones? I presume behind the centre console is chocka block with wires anyway?
                      There isnt too many wires back there to worry about, i wouldnt be concerned.

There is however an airbag activation unit bolted to the floor behind the centre console. I think these are G Force operated (not sure???). I spoke to the techs at MM and they said not to mount anything so it is touching the unit, otherwise you should be fine.
                      Bungee

2007 'envy green' NS Exceed 3.2 DiD, ARB Bar, Stebel Air Horn, Lightforce 170's, Traxide Dual Battery System, Advanti RIOT wheels with 265/70/17 BFG AT KO's, GME radio, OME Suspension Lift and a very long wish list...

Comment

• Smocky
                        • Jun 2008

Oops. I may need to check where I've just stuffed my radio !!

Comment

• Bungee
                          • Mar 2008

Oops. I may need to check where I've just stuffed my radio !!
                          Unless you moved it from where we put it, it should be okay...
                          Bungee

Comment

• tony63
                            • Aug 2008
                            • sydney

Tx 3440

I fitted the TX3440 to my NP EXCEED out of site out of mind all i see is the mic main unit under the dash. of witch i used sikaflex to stick the mic holder to dash no holes
                            and a very good unit as well

cheers
                            tony
                            2006 NP EXCEED - ATR coopers - alloy bar- IPF lights -GME TX3440 UHF- 2"lift bilsteins/ lovell-- TJM Sump guard

Comment

• Pete & Mon's NS
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2008
                              • West Lakes - Adelaide, SA

Good to hear Tony - I won an ebay auction last night. I collect my 3440 tomorrow and will install on the weekend. Where abouts on the dash did you put it????
                              | Gunmetal NS Exceed DiD with Dakar leather | Factory rear Diff Lock | Alloy Nudge Bar | MMCS | Moonroof | GME TX3440 | Custom rear Storage | Stebel Compact Air Horn |
                              | Ford Focus XR5 Turbo in Electric Orange |

Comment

• tileys
                                • Mar 2008
                                • Sydneyish, NSW

I can't find a grommet similar to the one mentioned, in my NP - I can find one on the right hand side of the driver footwell currently with 2 wires passing through the firewall (one thick and one thin wire). Is this option for passing the radio antennae wire and power wire just for the NS or does anyone with NP knowledge know if there's a similar spot on the NP I just haven't found yet.

Looks like we may be keeping the NP for a while longer so I'm putting a nudge bar on it and mounting an aerial on it and soon my mind will turn to thoughts of how to wire up my UHF - and I've got my eye on a TX3440 and would like an out of sight and minimal screwhole install.

cheers,

Steve
                                2002 NP Exceed Auto - stock

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X