Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Strong cargo-area mounting points in NP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strong cargo-area mounting points in NP?

Hi,

Does anybody know any strong points to mount "heavy" stuff such as racking system in the cargo area of NM/ NP model?

I suppose I can use the ones for the rear seatbelts and seat mounting bolts on the cargo floor, but are there any other holes below the carpet?

The points for the tiedown are too small although position wise is quite good. The baby capsule tie-down points are only behind the mid-row seats, and none closer to the rear door. I'm trying to avoid having to drill new holes.

Thanks in advance and regards,
  • TX Montero
    • Dec 2007
    • Dallas, Texas USA

Originally posted by jm2004 View Post
    Hi,

Does anybody know any strong points to mount "heavy" stuff such as racking system in the cargo area of NM/ NP model?

I suppose I can use the ones for the rear seatbelts and seat mounting bolts on the cargo floor, but are there any other holes below the carpet?

The points for the tiedown are too small although position wise is quite good. The baby capsule tie-down points are only behind the mid-row seats, and none closer to the rear door. I'm trying to avoid having to drill new holes.

Thanks in advance and regards,
    I ran into the same issue. What I did was to make a full floor out of wood (trimmed to match the contours of the floor), then I covered it in matching carpet, then bolted it in several places using some of the predrilled/tapped holes you mention. This allowed me to add tie down points where necessary. The tie down points in the four corners are smaller (10mm?); however, when using all four and combined with a couple in the middle, it's quite sturdy. The wood woudn't have to be that thick either, if attached to the body in several places, maybe 12-18mm thick?

Comment

thanks

Hi TX Montero, your idea of a full floor board is actually not a bad idea at all. Thanks, that gives me the idea to follow up. You are right the combination of several bolts and the fact the board covers the entire width would make the overall floor pretty strong, then we can drill at any location on the floor board as required.
      Best regards,

Comment

• 2800ITDNM
        • Jun 2007

Ive used the false timber floor in the past too, with good effect. 1 tip, if you are going to use eyelets through the timber, get the ones with the threaded shaft, use a big washer on the underside of the timber and a nyloc nut for durability. The wood screw thread type wont last with the movement in a 4WD and easily come loose or pull out. Dont want your load letting go unexpectedly.
        NM GL Diesel (Tourer)
        NS Pajero (Tar Baby)

Comment

• TX Montero
          • Dec 2007
          • Dallas, Texas USA

Originally posted by 2800ITDNM View Post
          Ive used the false timber floor in the past too, with good effect. 1 tip, if you are going to use eyelets through the timber, get the ones with the threaded shaft, use a big washer on the underside of the timber and a nyloc nut for durability. The wood screw thread type wont last with the movement in a 4WD and easily come loose or pull out. Dont want your load letting go unexpectedly.
          These are good points. I used bolts all the way through and countersunk the bolt heads on the underside. I also used large fender washers to prevent the bolt heads from ripping through the wood. Wood screws could rip through, as pointed out, after long-term use off road.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X