• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cooperplace
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2010
    • adelaide

still clunking left rear

there's a clunk on takeoff, left rear. I tightened up the nut, used a 1m extension. Don't have a 3/4 drive torque wrench but it was about 200 ft-lbs (I used to have a VW beetle). Clunk went away for a few days, has come back. I used a new split pin, it can't have come out. Should I:
    -tighten again, even more?
    -replace driveshaft?

advice appreciated.

NS LWB 3.2, has 191k on the clock.
  • fourocker
    • Jan 2018
    • Blue Mountains NSW

Over tightening could be a big headache if something gets damaged, flogged bushes in any of the suspension arms could give clunks too as the drive force is transferred by the wheel rotation.

Comment

• shawty950
      • Jun 2011
      • Brisbane

See this post and thread for the larger issues.

What I found was that being loose damaged the splines in the hub and shaft...once thats happened then you cant get rid of without replacing.

To be sure you need a brand new pair of parts...just grabbing ones from the wreckers is no guarantee...and if they were off 2 different cars, the mating surfaces of splines may have worn differently...leading to same problem.
      SOLD at 150k's - 2011 NT Platinum Diesel auto. Wheels and tyres, cav filter, caddy storage/ausguard barrier and icom IC-440N. NoLimit Tuning Chip. T13 Bullbar. Other stuff when money allows.

NOW - 2016 MQ Triton Exceed - All the TJM fruit re barwork, MCA Gold shocks and Parabolic rear leafs, TJM canopy, twin diff locks OEM rear and Harrop front, breathers, rhinorack, eco foxwing

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X