Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 10-08-09

Default paj not running well

Hi Guys

I'm taking the paj (3.5l v6) to MM on Thursday to put it on the MUTT as its not running well. What else shoud they check ie fuel pressure, fuel filter, etc. I'd apprecaite your advice?
Old 10-08-09
Valued Member

"not running well" meaning...??

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.
Old 10-08-09

seems to be a bit flat between (1500-200 rpm) and down on power with a marked increase in fuel consumption 18l/100km for the last tank. on a recent long trip I was expecting to get mid 13's/100 for hwy driving but I could only manage 15/100 with no change in driving style. Recently had the leads done and timing belt (assuming this was done correctly). MM inspect the fuel filter so I'm going to get them to change this while they are at it.
Old 11-08-09
Valued Member

Exhaust system bent/crimped?

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.
Old 12-08-09

John exhaust all good. I drove down the coast on the weekend and fuel economy was okay (you always want better) but I believe it’s still running funny. I'll see what MM say tomorrow and go from there.
Old 27-01-10

Send a message via MSN to Ricstar

Been awhile since you posted.

I am keen to know what the outcome was.
03 NP Exceed 3.5 Auto - LPG Inj, Tinting, 2.5t tow, Piranha / Remco dual battery setup, Maxxis 771 265/70/R16 - LT, GME 3420 UHF, 2" lift Kings and Bilstien?s, Engel 40L, Custom rear shelf, one wife, one child, Jayco Swift, no boat, And a Toy Poodle who prefers to ride in the Paj over the Commodore (My Mitsubishi Puppy).
Xmas list, Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Smartbar
Old 28-01-10
C&S Evo7

There has been a spate of these problems with the 3.5 we have here recently accordint to my pal who is a mmc tech.
several customers have spent $$$$ trying to get it fixed . he reports that there is a tiny microfilter in the end of the fuel line where it fits the engine which gets blocked,
I dont know if it will apply to your sohc engines tho, but it cost £1.76 for the filter
Old 28-01-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&S Evo7 View Post
There has been a spate of these problems with the 3.5 we have here recently accordint to my pal who is a mmc tech.
several customers have spent $$$$ trying to get it fixed . he reports that there is a tiny microfilter in the end of the fuel line where it fits the engine which gets blocked,
I dont know if it will apply to your sohc engines tho, but it cost ?1.76 for the filter
Can you please give me more information about this filter, as this is a problem i am having with my Pajero also mine is 3.5 DOHC dual fuel.
Old 28-01-10

Send a message via MSN to Ricstar

I have an NP 2003 3.5 auto.
18 months ago fuel consumption was 17L/100k around town on Petrol and 18L/100 Injected LPG. which is not great but I could put up with it.
13L/100 Petrol - 15L/100 LPG on a trip.
Now 96000km
All is not well anymore.
Still ok on trips at 15L/100, however around town is now around 25L/100 on either Petrol or LPG.
Plugs replaced with new Platinum 18 months ago when LPG conversion was installed.
All oils, inc auto was recently serviced (90k) and new air filter, but no difference.

As my issues are consistent across both Fuel systems, I make the assumption that it must be something that is specific to both fuels, ie Intake manifold (maybe leaking) or exhaust leaks, catalytic or exhaust issue, PCV, EGR -(if it has it). Ignition system. If an intake leak I would expect the ECU to compensate based upon readings/feedback from the o2 so not ruling this out but would it affect power requiring me to put the foot down more for the same speed.

Power seems normal and engine is running smooth. I borrowed a O2 wideband analyzer and the Stoic of 14.5 for Petrol and 15.5 for LPG is spot on in closed loop and goes into open loop when expected, ie:
Deceleration - all injectors off - full lean,
Foot to floor - Rich
Cold starts. - Rich.

I have also jacked up the Paj and checked to ensure brake, bearings or drivetrain are not binding. All wheels seem to need a bit of effort to turn, but is consistent on all four wheels.
Only thing I found was the spare on the back door wouldn't turn.

Have no issues on slipping auto.

Hence I am keen to know what solutions others have had to fix high fuel consumption issues

Appreciate any further ideas, options or suggestions.
03 NP Exceed 3.5 Auto - LPG Inj, Tinting, 2.5t tow, Piranha / Remco dual battery setup, Maxxis 771 265/70/R16 - LT, GME 3420 UHF, 2" lift Kings and Bilstien?s, Engel 40L, Custom rear shelf, one wife, one child, Jayco Swift, no boat, And a Toy Poodle who prefers to ride in the Paj over the Commodore (My Mitsubishi Puppy).
Xmas list, Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Smartbar
Old 28-01-10
Valued Member

How you so carefully calculate your fuel usage? My NM exceed doesnt have anything usefull like a trip computer, it has something incredibly useless called an RV meter.