Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Website Feedback

Website Feedback Tell us what you do like and don't like about the forum.

Old 02-04-09
Administrator

Default New registrations on the forum.

I really wish people would use their legitamate email addresses when joining up on the forum. It would just make it that easier to work out you are not a spammer trying to register. Of course your info when submitted here is confidential and we are obliged under privacy laws not to pass it on to others.
So instead of using Hotmail and Gmail accounts and assuming that I know that you drive a Pajero it could save me a lot of apologies sent out to people I reject. If you don't want to use your proper email you could be dissapointed about membership on this forum.
Dave
Old 02-04-09

Send a message via Skype™ to whatsupkramer

Had a few complainants Dave?

Chris
Old 02-04-09
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupkramer View Post
Had a few complainants Dave?

Chris
Yeah a few have had a crack at me! They think I must know who they are and what Pajero they drive
Dave
Old 02-04-09

Send a message via MSN to tinks

Giv em to me Giv em to me I'll sort the little out!!!
Old 02-04-09

i feel for ya mate.
i was an admin on another forum and we just refused anyone who used a generic email address. Bottom line is if you have an ISP then you have an legit email address.
we still got the occasional complaint but amazingly they all managed to find a non-generic email address.
life's to short to waste wiping rear end's
Old 02-04-09

Quick question, how is an ISP address more legit than any other form of address?

Im probably the odd one out, but I live in a share house and hence don't have an ISP address, my 'most legit' email is my university email address which is 7 random numbers followed by @swin.edu.au and will only be active till later this year. If was an admin I'd block this.

Not having a crack at Pickle, he does a wonderful job at running this site, just be careful if you start only letting 'legit' emails in as some of us don't have one and prefer a more meaningful address like greg.j.matthews@gmail.com (one of my 3 non 'legit' email addresses).

I don't agree with people complaining if they don't provide any information when registering, with all the spam flying around it pays to be careful, just be aware that not everyone has a 'legit' email address.
Old 02-04-09
Valued Member

Yeah, the only legit email I have is my work address - can't use that for here. Still using the same hotmail address I have had for 10 years now. Don't want to change it every time I move house and change ISP Pickle. But you let me in anyway - must have been my smile.....

2008 NS DiD GLX, ARB bar, Warn winch, BFG ATs, Bilstein/Lovell 2" lift, Milford barrier, VMS GPS, Rhino platform rack, Uniden UHF, Mobile 1 antenna, MMA tow bar, DIY dual battery system, Outback rear storage, Bushskinz bash plates x 3, custom steel sliders, Airtec snorkel, Narva HIDs, Ironman awning, ERPS, Glind hot water
Old 03-04-09

by requiring a legit email address it's possible to contact someone's ISP if there are any issues. if you use a generic email address it's a lot harder to trace someone.

the vast majority of people do the right thing regardless of their email address.
it's a balance between the amount of time and effort required cleaning up after the idiots as opposed to filtering a lot of them out before they start.

but i'm not the forum admin.
Old 03-04-09
Valued Member

and some how greybeard the pirate got in
Old 03-04-09
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
the vast majority of people do the right thing regardless of their email address.
it's a balance between the amount of time and effort required cleaning up after the idiots as opposed to filtering a lot of them out before they start.
You are right as most do the right thing but that is after I have to check on their ISP before registering them. Admittedly we don't get spammed much anymore but it is getting quite a task to go through 30- 40 registrations everyday. Some of them when I check the ISP have had maybe 20 attemps at joining the forum under different names as the forum admin does record all their previous attempts. Anyway enough whinging, time to go to the pub Cheers
Dave