Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 13-12-14

What type of head have you fitted to the snorkel?
2013 NW VRX - ARB Deluxe bar, TJM 9500lb winch with synthetic rope, MT STZ's 265/60/18, UHF, Tough Dog Suspension Lift, Bushskinz Intercooler/sump guard and transmission guard, Bushskinz rock sliders, Boo's rear bash plate, Airtec snorkel, ARB diff breathers, Aurora 5w 20" lightbar, Rhino Pioneer Roof Rack. Second set of tyres on 17" challenger rims - Hankook Dynapro MT's 265/70/17. Kalahari Black awning.
Check out my YouTube page!
4x4therapy
Old 14-12-14
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooseboost View Post
What type of head have you fitted to the snorkel?
Whatever the one is that it came with. It's a reasonably new style, preferred the old one but no biggie I'm sure it'll grow on me.
Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.
Old 14-12-14
Valued Member

Default Lift Kit Fitted

Paj has now been lifted, hooray!

This would have been done a long time ago but I was concerned about the legalities of lifting the car given that it has ESC (see VSB14 etc). My interpretation of the way the law is written is that as long as you can prove with 'thorough testing' that there is no effect on the ESC you can fit a lift kit. I rang a couple of manufacturers and have done some reading in the past and nobody (ARB etc) could tell me that I would have no issues, often saying the onus is on the buyer etc. I gave up for a while but then I spoke at length with the guys at Ultimate Suspension in NSW on this topic and they could confidently tell me they have done all the required testing and they will not sell kits that affect ESC (for example they didn't do Hilux kits when they first got ESC). Absolutely wrapped with that so immediately ordered one. I wish I'd rung Ultimate Suspension earlier!

Anyway, onto the good stuff. I fitted the kit myself (*with the generous help of Rick) as I was quoted a whopping $550 (minimum) to install them. Used this thread as a guide (thankyou to mmanion and all the others who contributed to this thread, amazing). Relatively easy job with two people. I started the job on my own but was very difficult to line the bottom bolt for the front strut up, spent a couple hours on it to no avail. Took 2 minutes with an extra set of hands. Having said that you could probably manage it on your own if you are more experienced (read: not incompetent) on the tools.

Parts are Aussie Ryder twin tube shocks/struts with Lovells raised height HD coils (UCMNM-3F and UCMNM-3R). Went with the twin tubes on the recommendation of Ultimate. Apparently they have made some significant recent improvements in the oils used in shocks to the point where they are only recommending monotubes for racing applications (even though they make more money off the monotubes). I queried how they would perform on corrugations and he said they've tested them in vehicles loaded past the GVM at high speed over 'big' corrugations in remote areas and they had zero fade. Good enough for me!

Here is some pictures showing a comparison of the old vs new gear. All of the new parts were significantly heavier, pretty much twice as heavy on each part.

Front Struts. Slightly longer extension and heaps more winds on the coils coupled with thicker wire.

Rear shocks and coils. Interestingly the coils seem to have the same freestanding height which means the 'lift' comes from the thicker wire and more turns. I imagine because of the independent rear end unlike a live axle the springs can't be longer. The factory coils are progressive (slightly) whilst the new coils are linear. There is slightly longer extension on the rear shocks, but not much.

Now for the money shots:

Pre lift

Post Lift

Measurements:
Note:
- All measurements at the wheel are from CENTER of rim to guard
- All measurements are in mm

Location - Pre lift - Post lift - Difference

Front Right Wheel - 480 - 555 - 75
Front Left Wheel - 484 - 557 - 73
Rear Right Wheel - 495 - 563 - 68
Rear Left Wheel - 500 - 563 - 63

Bullbar front of bottom lip - 435 - 507 - 72
Intercooler guard - 230 - 303 - 73
Towbar below hitch - 385 - 448 - 63

I took multiple measuring points across the front and rear both for interest and to be able to get an picture of the average lift to better allow for any measurement innacuracies. Based on all that it looks like I got about:
73mm at the front and;
Roughly 65mm at the rear

Note all of these measurements were taken 'immediately' after fitting the suspension (<50km of driving) so it will settle to a lower height (will remeasure down the track). Will be getting a wheel alignment tomorrow if I can find someone to fit me in.

Can't really comment on how the suspension feels as the alignment is so far out of whack it's affecting the way the car handles significantly. Thus far though it still seems like a very compliant ride, not particularly harsh on bumps or any noteworthy increase in road noise.

Overall at this early stage very pleased with it all.
Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.
Old 14-12-14

Good timely post ... looking into this now.

Can I get a rough cost / supplier ?

TIA !

Cam
Old 14-12-14
Valued Member

1150 delivered from The Ultimate Suspension for the lot. They waived the fee for preassembly (+209.09) because I'm a club member (edit, at least I think that's why. They may have just been feeling generous )

Last edited by TC.Barky; 14-12-14 at 08:31 PM.
Old 14-12-14
Valued Member

Mate thats great lift. And good price as well.
Who did you speak at ultimate? I may give them a ring as well.
NW 2014 MY14 GLX-R, towbar, spare tyre lift kit, Safari snorkel, Milford cargo barrier, "Bushskinz" and "Basha" bashplates, UHF, Air compressor, SPV EGR Mod, Rhino Pioneer platform, MM Towbar, Redarc TowPro brake controler, 2.5" lift kit by Ultimate Suspension, 265/70/17 BFG KO2 AT LT, Opposite Lock Bullbar, VRS winch, Lightforce Genesis LED driving lights.
Old 14-12-14
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Mate thats great lift. And good price as well.
Who did you speak at ultimate? I may give them a ring as well.
Everyone I spoke to bent over backwards to help but Brendan was the one who I spent most of the time talking to and who put the order in. I think I bailed him up for at least half an hour asking questions. Did I mention that price is for custom valved shocks to suit the vehicle weights? Coz yeah, every shock/strut is custom built for each order. So rapt
Old 14-12-14
Valued Member

Did you tighten all the mounting points when the vehicle was suspended, or when flat on the ground.

I make a habit of tighten everything when sitting on the ground, go for a drive around the block, then lossen and re-tighten to required specs. This will ensure the bushes are sitting in their neutral position.
MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.
Old 14-12-14
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02-SR5 View Post
Did you tighten all the mounting points when the vehicle was suspended, or when flat on the ground.

I make a habit of tighten everything when sitting on the ground, go for a drive around the block, then lossen and re-tighten to required specs. This will ensure the bushes are sitting in their neutral position.
I did it all on the ground but not a bad idea to redo now that its been driven. Might do it tomorrow
Old 14-12-14
Valued Member

If you do, just loosen then re-torque to required spec. Makes the bushes happier ;-)
MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.