Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > GPS Tech / Navigation

GPS Tech / Navigation Discussion on GPS units. Maps and laptops

Old 29-09-11
Valued Member

Default setting uo Ozi explorer.

I have decided to go with ozi explorer as I have a few laptops.

will see how it all goes.

aquired the complete system inc maps as I cant be stuffed sorting it out.

regards
Michael.
2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.
Old 29-09-11
Valued Member

I have ozi running on laptop and on a hacked navman and it is great. i have NATMAPs maps for ozi and it is great in the bush. There is just so much you can do with ozi i am still finding useful tools with it after years of use
Cool Silver 09 VRX, tinted glass all around, 2 inch HD lovells, bilsteins, poly airbags, Airtek snorkel, dual battery, ARB deluxe winch bar, Lightforce 240's, Warn winch, Bushskinz full bash plates, UHF, scangauge, Bogaard turbo timer, towbar, 65 ltr brown davis fuel tank, on board ARB compressor + outlets, 50A anderson on towbar, rear diff lock-traction control modification, diff breathers, in-dash battery voltmeters, EGR blank, hacked navman, Cooper AT3's, Stebel horns.
Old 29-09-11
Valued Member

sounds promising I had a play with a few years ago.

Now just have to wait for it all to turn up.

now just need a pure sine wave converter to keep the L/Top alive.

Michael.
2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.
Old 29-09-11
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV Rangie View Post
now just need a pure sine wave converter to keep the L/Top alive.
I've been using modified-sine inverters for years on laptops and custom pc's I've used. Admittedly most of them were scavenged from rubbish piles (the things people throw out) so didn't really care that much about potential damage but I never had a problem.

4WD History: 2011 MN Triton GLX-R. 2004 NP GLS DiD. 2002 Landrover Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL wagon. Learnt in a 1980 Ford F100.
Old 29-09-11
Valued Member

likewise with the inverter, i have an old 125watt inverter thats 12 years old and still powering chargers and laptops. Square wave and all and it still goes.
Cool Silver 09 VRX, tinted glass all around, 2 inch HD lovells, bilsteins, poly airbags, Airtek snorkel, dual battery, ARB deluxe winch bar, Lightforce 240's, Warn winch, Bushskinz full bash plates, UHF, scangauge, Bogaard turbo timer, towbar, 65 ltr brown davis fuel tank, on board ARB compressor + outlets, 50A anderson on towbar, rear diff lock-traction control modification, diff breathers, in-dash battery voltmeters, EGR blank, hacked navman, Cooper AT3's, Stebel horns.
Old 29-09-11
Valued Member

If you don't want to waste too much power by converting twice, for most laptop models you can get car chargers that have all integrated.
Some years ago I ordered one from Ebay as needed a 18V supply.
I think it was originally for an IBM laptop (not sure).
On the markets I've even seen universal chargers with different plugs for almost any laptop.
Bit chunky, but for around 70 bucks still not bad. Some even got up to 4 USB ports to power the GPS, Ipod and so on.
Personally I don't really like the idea of pumping up 12V to 240V just to plug a charger in that gives less than 24V out.
As long as the laptop does not need more than 20 Volt you can even build a power supply on your own, the schematics and part lists are available on the net.
Only problem with that is that here in AU is sometimes really hard to get the parts, so ordering them from china using Ebay is easier.
Old 29-09-11
Resident

x2 on the DC to DC. I have an Acer Nettop as my carpc now, using a universal DC to DC that I bought for mum - who then didn't need it.

I recently converted all my Hema maps to OZFX3 format (using the converter program) and both the nettop and the android tablet are swapping / loading maps much faster - I don't notice any lag now. Highly recommend the conversion.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 30-09-11
Valued Member

Arrived express post today.

GPS reciever, Ozi program, hema maps, 3D and Aust wide 250k maps.

now to get it all up and running

Michael.
Old 01-10-11
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV Rangie View Post
Arrived express post today.

GPS reciever, Ozi program, hema maps, 3D and Aust wide 250k maps.

now to get it all up and running

Michael.
Michael do you mind giving us an idea on price?

I just bought a new Lenovo laptop, i option this multi power supply that powers from 240, 12v cig etc, was $130 iirc

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
99 Rodeo TD dual cab.
Old 01-10-11
Valued Member

http://www.oziexplorer.com/

Australian Page

Turn your Laptop or Netbook into a navigator !!!

OziExplorer GPS Mapping Software running on your laptop with a USB Mouse GPS Receiver connected showing your current position on a Hema Map from the latest Australian 4WD Raster Map Collection Maps - all you need to get real time tracking operational in your 4WD. (That's OziExplorer + Hema 4WD Map Collection + additional Australia Map + GPS Mouse Receiver (USB) BU-353).

All this for $355 (Australian dollars) which includes GST and postage.

You can save some $ buy not getting the extra maps.

All maps are available on the net, but just took the lazy way out.

Michael.