Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 05-07-11

Default NS DID Chip it and delete pipe

Hello all,
I recently purchased a late 2007 NS DiD and decided to upgrade performance with the Chip-it and DPF delete pipe mainly for long distance boat towing and beach driving. After doing all the install work and test driving for 3 months here are my experiences and opinions for the setup.

I first installed the delete pipe and after test-driving noticed a smoother and quicker shift through the auto gearbox. Did not really feel an increased in power or torque but the quicker shift must suggest that there is. I bridged the DPF differential pressure sensor at the sensors itself using the existing rubber hoses(see attached picture). Even with the delete pipe installed the engine control unit still performs a DPF burn-off every 2k or so. I noticed this on my scangauge as the MAP dropped to around 75 kPa(absolute) and the throttle position sensor(TPS) sits at around 8 % at idle. This at first had me really worried as it usually sits above 100 kPa(MAP) and 99% (TPS) at idle. Drove around for 20 minutes and everything back to normal until the next burn-off(not that there is anything to burn off in the delete pipe). Did notice an improvement in fuel consumption after burn-off(must also clean the catalytic converter ie less back pressure). During burn off there is a slight loss of power and a different tone and smell from the exhaust pipe.

I then installed the Chip-it chip and temperature controller as shown in the pictures. I connected the chip and temperature controller through a switch on the dash and can switch from the factory setting to tune 4-2 while the car is running.
The chip definitely increased power and torque although fuel consumption is around 1-2 l/100 km more than the standard tune. I do prefer the standard tune driving around town and on the freeway as the gearbox is better suited to the standard tune, that?s why the NT has a new gearbox to suit the improved engine performance.
Anyway I will see how chip goes when towing a 2 tonne boat up north.

I tried the EGR blanking plate with chip and works very well until I switch to standard tune and throws a P0299 code. Drilled a 12 mm hole in throttle plate and still throws a code. After all that I removed the plate and patched the hole in the throttle. I looked at the EGR valve and in take manifold and it is not to bad after 45 k. When setting the valve clearance at 50 000 km , I will clean it all out with solvent.

On my next oil change (every 7500 km) I am going to use a thicker oil, I have made up my mind to use the Caltex Delo 400 ,15W40(as I have no DPF), hoping it will reduce engine noise and is a lot cheaper than the synthetics (seems a waste to discard every 7500km). I am currently using the Shell Helix ultra extra 5W30, way to thin, but good for cold starting.

If you are going to do a performance upgrade I would highly recommend the delete pipe for the NS. It has so many advantages and besides the manual version does not have one. A mate drove behind me and says there was very little smoke out of the exhaust only on heavy acceleration.

Fuel consumption with standard tune and delete pipe :
8-8.5 l/100 km freeway driving
11.5 l/100 km city driving

10.5 l/100 km combined.

Anyway thanks for reading and hope it can be of help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf chip-delete.pdf (771.2 KB, 557 views)
Old 06-07-11
Valued Member

VERY good post !

Thank you for the effort of putting it and the pictures up.

Please let us know how you go with the oil after youve changed...
Old 06-07-11

Nice info, I'm interested in doing the same when I've got the spare $$ lying around. I was wondering if taking out the DPF would mean a switch back to standard, cheaper oil as well, I suspected it would.
Old 08-07-11
Valued Member

The special oil is a killer $$ wise.

A required evil while the DPF exists. Will watch the delete pipe progress.

Ive had a 2010 NT DiD Auto side by side with my NS and I reckon the NT pipe (cat but no DPF) would bolt on, brackets and all to the NS (not measured to the mm tho - only had a tape measure).

'Bet the NT complete pipe is a bucket of $100's tho...

Cheers
Old 10-07-11

Great to see someone who knows how to go about doing the changes testing them and coming up with the correct results
Old 15-12-11
Valued Member

Correct. fit the DPF Eliminator pipe and go back to standard oil IE NON LOW ASH type

Saving of about $100 an oil change

Diesel Performance Solutions

Contact sales@chiptuning.com.au for 10% forum discount
(NB: Forum discount applies to Performance Modules only)

Office 02 8090 1881
Old 16-12-11
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawk View Post
The special oil is a killer $$ wise.

A required evil while the DPF exists. Will watch the delete pipe progress.

Ive had a 2010 NT DiD Auto side by side with my NS and I reckon the NT pipe (cat but no DPF) would bolt on, brackets and all to the NS (not measured to the mm tho - only had a tape measure).

'Bet the NT complete pipe is a bucket of $100's tho...

Cheers
So its like really the NT is only missing the DPF, no other extra part to replace it? maybe a different Cat converter (I know the manual NS has 2 cat converters) I would like to retrofit my NS with the NT Exhaust but would like to know if its worth or is the same as deleting the DPF...
2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!
Old 16-12-11
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patagonia View Post
So its like really the NT is only missing the DPF, no other extra part to replace it? maybe a different Cat converter

(I know the manual NS has 2 cat converters) ?????

I would like to retrofit my NS with the NT Exhaust but would like to know if its worth or is the same as deleting the DPF...
I can bet the delete pipe is heaps cheaper than an NT System.

My Photo site.
AAA-Photography.smugmug.com

07 NS VRX, DID Auto, Nudge Bar, 130W 215 Nitghtstalkers, 50w HID H/Beams, Kenwood Touchscreen Natsav/DVD/CD/Rev camera, Rear Alpine DVD Player, Recaro Orthopedic drivers seat, DIY Spare Wheel Lift.
Old 16-12-11
Valued Member

I did ask the service manager about an NT pipe price - he laughed...

So - id expect somewhere between six and nine million dollars for the pipe!
Old 16-12-11
Valued Member

we may have some 3" SS exhausts for NS soon.

Well priced too.

Diesel Performance Solutions

Contact sales@chiptuning.com.au for 10% forum discount
(NB: Forum discount applies to Performance Modules only)

Office 02 8090 1881