Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > GPS Tech / Navigation

GPS Tech / Navigation Discussion on GPS units. Maps and laptops

Old 07-04-11

Default ozi explorer

so i got this new gps device thats got ozi explorer with all the maps of australia in it!!!
nice they say!!
well i say how the hell does this pile of crap work lol!!!
is it a map that i just check as im driving or can i set waypoints and be shown a path????
Old 07-04-11

does anyone in adelaide have one that can show me how it works??
Old 07-04-11
Valued Member

What brand and model did you get ?
Did it come with a book of destructions ?
Old 07-04-11
Resident

Where in Adelaide are you? I'm no expert, but I've been using Ozi for a few years - but I won't be able to help this month. If you can wait until next month, I'm happy to see if I can help.

FWIW, Ozi is essentially a moving map display - it overlays your current GPS position onto a map, plus a few other things.

You can pre-program a route on it, so it can show you current position versus the pre-programmed route, but it can't give you turn by turn directions. The "map" on your screen could be the Mona Lisa for all it knows.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 08-04-11
Valued Member

Well actually it can give turn by turn instructions if you put waypoints at the appropriate positions.
2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.
Old 08-04-11
Valued Member

Ozi is very capable and complicated. But it is not designed to be a street navigator giving directions. It is designed to show your current position against a variety of digitised maps. If you need a street navigator with turn by turn directions then Ozi is not for you .

Typically I sit and plot "tracks" of our off-road trips on the PC version and add waypoints where required for anything interesting, then I dump to the car (a hacked Navman running Ozi). We simply use it as a reference - so long as our current position indicator is following the map then we are on course. It also logs your course to another track tail file so if you go venturing off you can simply follow your trail back.

Pat
Old 08-04-11

sweet so as im cruising the mark on the map moves with me ,
i brought it off ebay and it came with a book that told me pretty much bugger all lol!!

i got it sussed now i reckon so ill go hit the dirt roads near sedan and check it out, cheers all!!
Old 08-04-11
Valued Member

I'm in Adelaide and use Ozi.
If you need a hand, give me a shout via PM

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')