Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 03-01-08

Default 6G74 engine, pajero or magna

I believe my engine in a Pajero 3.5lt NL is a 6G74.

I have been told the pajero engine is unique to pajero's.

I have been doing some research on the net and think maybe the pajero and magna use the same engine.

I recently did some extensive damage to mine and need to either 1) re-bore, oversize pistons. 2) Recondition engine. 3) 2nd hand engine.

My questions are? Am i able to drop a magna engine in?

And has anyone done a re-bore and oversize pistons and what did it set you back.
Old 03-01-08

Was covered recently, Check out the link below.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=1134
Old 03-01-08

Shaneo,
I drive a 95 NJ 3.0Ltre Paj, just before xmas I put a Magna 3.0Ltre 6G72 motor into my Paj. There is a massive difference in price beween the two motors, roughly about $1000.
I find the Magna motor runs smoother, I'm on duel fuel, & runs more fuel efficient, (but then again my old Paj motor was pretty shagged), Deffinatly I now have more power.
When changing over the motor, my machanic had to change everything over. The only part of the Magna motor used was the block & heads. He had to change sump, oil pick up, water pump, inlet manifold, exhaust manifold, rocker covers, injection system etc, I mean everything must be changed over.
But I still saved massive amounts of money with the labour spent, compared to buying a second hand Paj motor.
Shop around for a machanic to do the job!
If you live in Melb. give D&J Sevice Centre in Hallam a call, Ph8795 7755. I have been using him for yrs as a machanic. He also drives a Paj himself. Also give Auto Salvage Wreckers in Greens Road Dandenong for a price on a Magna motor.

Shaneo, all I can say is the 6G72 3.0ltre Magna motor fits into a Paj, & I have no complaints at all about its performence. I'm guessing the 6G74 3.5ltre Magna will also fit into the Paj. Give Auto Salvage Wreckers a call in Greens Road Dandenong, & ask them, they seem to have a lot of information about all Mitsubishi cars.

Hope this can help you
Stuart
Old 03-04-08

What about the fact that the Magna uses a distributor, and the NL uses a coil pack?
do you just 'block' the hole. (is this where the distributor 'plugs in' ?

Can I take a set of heads from say a 2003 3.5 magna and put them on my NL 3.5L Pajero motor?

cheers
Ashley
Old 03-04-08
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
What about the fact that the Magna uses a distributor, and the NL uses a coil pack?
do you just 'block' the hole. (is this where the distributor 'plugs in' ?

Can I take a set of heads from say a 2003 3.5 magna and put them on my NL 3.5L Pajero motor?

cheers
Ashley
on the pajero they have a alloy plate that bolts into the hole also they have a pick up on the cam gear or the rear of the cam for the timing. if using magna heads best to swap everything over
95 NJ PAJERO 3.0LT V6, AUTO, MAN HUBS, ECB bullbar, WARN 9000lb WINCH, dual long range tanks (205lts), Airtec snorkel, K&N air filter, rotronics dual battery system, GME tx4400 uhf, rated recovery points on all 4 corners, GQ rear coils
Old 03-04-08

Thanks for the info
My heads need a recon.

I can source a set of magna heads easily, while pajero heads are harder/more expensive.

I gather I simply transfer the entire heads over (heads cams etc)
after transfer of cam position sensor?

Do I use the Magna cam? or do I have to swap the cams?

I wonder how well the ecu will cope with the different cam timing......
Old 08-04-08
Valued Member

you need to change the cams over as well
95 NJ PAJERO 3.0LT V6, AUTO, MAN HUBS, ECB bullbar, WARN 9000lb WINCH, dual long range tanks (205lts), Airtec snorkel, K&N air filter, rotronics dual battery system, GME tx4400 uhf, rated recovery points on all 4 corners, GQ rear coils
Old 08-04-08
Valued Member

i really dont think its worth all the effort to convert the magna v6 to suit the pajero v6. i would go for the short engine reco and also you can buy good aftermarket heads at under 1/2 the price of genuine heads.
Old 08-04-08

The reason I was wanting to use magna cams was because the ones I can get dont have many km on them, and mine have done 300 000, and are probably a little worn.

I am up for a head recon anyway to fix valve guides/stem seals, hence looking at putting a magna head on in the first place

I also wouldnt mind a little more power.
My engine is 140kw,
a magna vrx (std magna with a better muffler is 163kw)
this is around 17% more power.

I assume most of this is gained with a different cam profile

I have extractors and a free flowing exhaust, and a higher compression ratio.
(magna 9.0, pajero 9.5)

So what if I loose a small amount of low end power, being auto, it revs its box off every time i floor it anyway.

If I dont like the way it runs, I can always put a set of pajero cams in anyway.

hmmmmm magna ralliart cams 180kw?

Last edited by Ashley; 09-04-08 at 01:14 PM.
Old 14-04-08

So,
can a magna cam be used?

if not, why?

cheers
Ashley