Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 14-06-10
Valued Member

Default My DPF delete pipe

After reading through Roberts (Chip It) Performance Module (DPS215) thread, and a hint that they can do a DPF replacement pipe, I made a phone call.

Diesel Performance Solutions
http://www.chipit.com.au
sales@chipit.com.au
1800 78 48 82

Robert who is based in NSW with me in WA was very helpful and answered all of my questions. During the discussion Robert mentioned that they can build a replacement DPF. I have been to several local exhaust places, on the phone to Taipan exhausts over east and got nowhere with MRT performance, who didn't have the decency to phone me back. No one wanted to know or talk to me.

Robert mentioned that his R&D Guy (Justin) works from WA in the next suburb over from me. An hour later I introduced myself to Justin and we started talking. The wrap up of the conversation is yes he is able to build and fit an DPF delete pipe which is for race use only as it is a part of the emission control on the Pajero.

Justin currently builds and fits them to Nissan Navara D40's with a lot of success. The D40 has 4 inputs into the DPF where the Paj only has 2. Justin has guaranteed this modification will not bring up any engine check lights at all. The only issue may be some black smoke at initial take off only. Robert & Justin explain this in detail on his website. 8kw and 53Nm increase just by removing the DPF on the D40.

So my car will be used as the Guinea Pig. On Wednesday 16th June I have my car booked into Justin to build me a new DPF delete pipe. We have then booked it into my mates business Racetorque Engineering for a dyno run.

This is the same Dyno I used when i first had my Spider chip fitted. We will have the original results, then dyno with Spider still hooked up with no DPF and then with a Chip It module and no DPF tuned for my car.

I will keep everyone updated as to results.
Old 14-06-10
Valued Member

how did you get on with Taipan? They actually manufacture an aftermarket 3" DPF unit with their exhaust kits so I'm wondering why you didn't go with that option? Is their a problem with it???

I'm surprised they got such a torque increase by removing it, a guy on these forums removed his DPF and got no performance increase in his opinion...
Old 14-06-10
Valued Member

Taipan would not sell me a system and were very cagy as to why. After ringing a second time the truth came out, they are having issues with the new DPF putting cars into limp home mode.

This new option is not a aftermarket DPF but a straight through replacement.

Justin is building it so if for some reason there is a problem 4 bolts and it is back to standard.
Old 14-06-10

should be intresting to see the results unfold....be nice to do a back to back with the chip it module versus the spider module as well . do you still run the spider wrex ?
Old 14-06-10
Valued Member

Yep still run the Spider and am very happy with it. We will do a back to back power run with spider vs Chip-it module.

This exercise for me is not about power it's about getting rid of the bloody DPF.
Old 15-06-10
BushSkinz 4x4

One of the guys I have talked to who wants to remain anonymous has done this mod to an NS and apparently very easy to do just replace the dpf with a pipe and mount the sensors back in to the new piece of pipe. No problems at all, he noticed a difference in performance but most noticeably economy, he now also has a spider unit.

I believe the DPF removal you are referring to was done to an NT SWB which has a different style DPF (more like an extra CAT) the change in DPF between the NS and the NT is part of the reason for extra power and better economy of the NT over the NS. So this is why not much difference was noticed in replacing the DPF on the NT as it is already a much better design.

Will be interesting to see the dyno results as I know changing the rear muffler section of the NS and with the Spider unit installed, makes it like a completely different car.

Cheers,
Kieron

Retired: NS Pajero Exceed 3.8L

Retired: NS SWB X DiD "The BushSkinz lil Paj"

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=9928

Retired: NM Pajero 3.5L

www.bushskinz4x4.com.au[/SIZE]
Old 15-06-10
Valued Member

Pearcie what kind of performance difference did you get just doing the DPF back exhaust upgrade? That's what I'm thinking of doing, with the NT it looks like pretty decent 2.5" piping from the turbo through the cat and DPF, which are both also 2.5", the exhaust only seems to go crap after the DPF so I'm thinking if I just do a DPF back system I will end up with a pretty decent full 2.5" system from the dump pipe and from what your saying the NT DPF is a pretty decent design... just wondering what kind of difference to expect by removing the restrictive rear section
Old 15-06-10
BushSkinz 4x4

Hi Richo,
I noticed a big increase after about 3000rpm once the exhaust was done, the NS feels like a greyhound tied up a to a pole trying to run after about 3000rpm. The pipe work shrinks down to about a 2.25" after the DPF and then the standard Muffler is very restrictive as well. So even though yours is a NT it wouldn't surprise me if you noticed a good difference in performance if you replace the pipe and muffler from the DPF back. For me the difference was like somebody cut the lead and let the dog free. It may not be quite as dramatic for your NT but I would definitely expect it to be a mod worth doing.

Cheers,
Kieron

Retired: NS Pajero Exceed 3.8L

Retired: NS SWB X DiD "The BushSkinz lil Paj"

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=9928

Retired: NM Pajero 3.5L

www.bushskinz4x4.com.au[/SIZE]
Old 15-06-10
Valued Member

Thanks Wrex for the kind words.

Happy to be of service and always glad to hear that guys are satisfied with that service.

The bit of smoke on take-off can also be tuned out by our Chip It module as our Module can also REMOVE fuel ... not just add it like the other Chips on the market.

Also, by adding a little more boost pressure the extra fuel is balanced by the extra air so fuel ratios are maintained.

Cheers again Wrex

Regards

Diesel Performance Solutions

Contact sales@chiptuning.com.au for 10% forum discount
(NB: Forum discount applies to Performance Modules only)

Office 02 8090 1881
Old 15-06-10
Valued Member

As Robert stated and his R&D guy Justin explained, this black smoke will be monitored after dpf pipe fitment and will hopefully see it disapear with the tuning of the Chip it module.

Pearcie those fuel figures are getting me even more excited.

At this stage the minister for finances can't give me the green light for another chip so it will be running the spider for now.