Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Commercial Advertisers > Commercial Advertisers > Scorpro

Scorpro Turn your Gen 4 Pajero into the sports car it should be with our Paddle Shift Kit

Old 20-10-16
Resident

Default Another solution for NS - NX wheel bag

As many are aware, the frame around the NS - NX centrally mounted spare wheel interferes with fitment of a bag on the spare wheel. I had some ideas for a solution that I was idly discussing with old Jack when he pointed out the blindingly obvious solution, and I set to work.

(Some time later, twisted32 mentioned the same idea - so both he & OJ are cleverer than I am, which some would argue is not really that hard. )

After a little trial & error (with thanks to my 3D printer - it's a great toy ) I had something ready to take on a recent trip down Googs Track, and subsequent exploring of the region.

Essentially, it's two pieces of lasercut & folded sheet metal, with some nuts welded to strategic places, to space the wheel cover out from the wheel. It is still hinged on one side, and still retained by the standard bolts on the other side. It can be removed and the cover restored to factory in a few minutes (it's easier to install & remove if the spare wheel is also removed).

Mine only spaces the cover out by 125mm, as this allowed minimal messing around with the wiring for the fog light & camera. This distance is workable, but a little more space would be nice. With a little more installation effort (and probably a few extra wiring clips for installation kit) 150mm should be readily achievable. A variant could also be built to lift the frame to match a spare wheel lift - that would require a little more development to work out how much distance can be achieved with how much effort, and I'm struggling to imagine how the cosmetic trim pieces would look.

I'm running 265/70R17 (one "step" up from stock), and this only just fits - a couple of wiring clips are pressing against the rubber tyre. The wheel lift kit actually helps a little in this respect. A bigger tyre is out of the question.

The plastic pieces are cosmetic only, and mine are held in place in a very dodgy manner. More development is required. Of course, the NX plastic is different from the earlier models - why would anything be too easy?

My bag is a Dune brand bag from Anaconda, which was listed at $80; I think I got it for $70 by handing over my email address. I have no reason to doubt other bags would also work.

Aside from one of the cosmetic trim pieces falling off on some corrugations (retrieved & duct taped in place, where it still remains) the prototype worked well. It has also survived at 2900km round trip to Sydney & back, but given that was all bitumen, there's no great surprise there.

So, I have something that works for me, although it has room for improvement. Is this of interest to others - should I keep working on it?

Note that I believe this is not strictly compliant with ADRs, because of Australia's unique requirement for rear lights on both sides to be visible from significant angles - these should be considered "for off-road use only".

At this stage, if I keep going, I'm guessing a sell price would be somewhere between $100 & $200 with cosmetic trim included. Excluding the cosmetic trim, I think I could sell the metalwork for under $100, but it really does look strange.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 20-10-16

Brilliant!
NW VRX MY14, Ironbark, MMA weather-shields, MMA rubber mats and cargo liner, SUPERTRIM neoprene seat covers, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar, ARB Intensity LED Driving Lights, WARN Magnum 10000LBS Winch, OME 2" Lift,
Lots more to be added...
Old 20-10-16

Yeah I am keen if it helps get things rolling
Old 20-10-16

Well done

Old 20-10-16
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

The dreaded rear wheel bags on the gen 4 are a pain. Top marks for coming up with a solution that is not a saddle bag, which will inevitably damage the plastic. Just for reference, I chose to go another route: remove the plastic all together. Mount a plate and lighting on the bag, and with an additional bracket, remount the rear camera. I added a plug into the light harness to allow me extended wire for the bag, or back to standard for the plastic trim. Bit of a pain if you need to change the tyre cause the strap goes through the tubular frame, but I hope to spend more time adding rubbish to the bag than I do changing tyres. Same as yours, about 10 mins and 6 screws to change the plastic out. I mounted an auxiliary plate to the bag so I didn't have to keep changing plates over (the aux stays on the bag when not used). There may be legalities of having an aux and no main plate, also I didn't bother with the fog light and bagged and taped the plug, something your solution overcomes.

Just curious in your solution: obviously you spaced the tubular frame out? This is held by 4 screws on the right, the lower one being a square drive about 3mm sq. Try as i might, I couldn't remove this one troublesome screw. 3mm sq doesn't leave a lot of play room for applying torque before rounding the little bugger off.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 20-10-16
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcaver View Post
Just curious in your solution: obviously you spaced the tubular frame out? This is held by 4 screws on the right, the lower one being a square drive about 3mm sq. Try as i might, I couldn't remove this one troublesome screw. 3mm sq doesn't leave a lot of play room for applying torque before rounding the little bugger off.
Mine was a completely smooth head - looked like one of those fancy security screws that shear the driving head off once the desired torque is reached.

A 1/4" drill bit took care of that - a standard M6 8.8 bolt now does its job.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box