• Show
Clear All
  • Wrex
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Perth

Sold me old mate.

I’ve sold my little buddy.

It was with some regret that I traded my little mate in on a new car.
    2007 SWB DID Paj
    It has been with us since new, 100,000kms later he’s gone. The ongoing little niggles, ECL’s and the DPF in the back of my mind whilst remote touring became too much for me to live with.

Goodbye old mate. Thanks for the memories.

Hopefully you guys will let me hang around.

This has been so far the best online forum to be associated with bar none.

No stress, no agro and heaps of information from the brave who refuse to accept OEM is best. Keep pushing the limits and use those Mitsi's for what the are designed for, seeing the beauty this country has to offer.

My new baby, 2013 FJ Cruiser,

No DPF, no diesel, no turbo.

Long range tank with CRAWL control, rear diff lock.

• sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

That's a bummer Troy. That was a neat vehicle that little shortie of yours.

Sad to see you go over to the dark side, but I hope the FJ ticks all the boxes.

keep in touch

MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• hobbo
      Valued Member
      • May 2009
      • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Thanks for the Pix Dude, that Shorty was a Beauty. Is the Toyo a V8 ?
      NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

• JoshF
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2008
        • Brisbane

so you had those issues with the Shorty or didn't want them to happen?

pity you can't add all those nice accessories to the front of the FJ, something about exceeding total capacity of 15kg (I was told by a friend of a friend who heard it on the grapevine)
        NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
        Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• bakerboy
          "valued 3000+ member"
          • May 2008
          • Perth

V6 auto only, not the greatest off-road stock from what I've seen
          If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• Wrex
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2007
            • Perth

so you had those issues with the Shorty or didn't want them to happen?

pity you can't add all those nice accessories to the front of the FJ, something about exceeding total capacity of 15kg (I was told by a friend of a friend who heard it on the grapevine)
            Gotta love the grapevine. That was the original 200 series full of fuel and 5 adults on board.

Yep had all those issues with the shorty but mine was not stock and i drove it pretty hard. Mine was a test mule for Chip-it chips, DPF delete pipes etc etc. Years on we are a lot more clued up on what causes the issues.
            Manifolds replaced, DPF replaced, all under warranty just all got too much.

V6 auto only, not the greatest off-road stock from what I've seen
            As a part time 4wd Trainer who has seen most vehicles off road the FJ is more capable than anything currently with a mitsi logo on the bonnet. I have witnessed many a time a very capable vehicle to look less than ordinary by a novice driver and vise versa.

Comment

• bakerboy
              "valued 3000+ member"
              • May 2008
              • Perth

hence why I said, from what I've seen, and more capable than anything with a mitsi badge? haha dug a bit of a hole with that one :P
              If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• MSF
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2009
                • Sydney, Northern Beaches

Congrats on the new purchase - besides the lack of vision (IMHO) out of the FJ Cruiser, they are brilliant and as you say, I've seen many of them in capable hands do things that left other more 'capable' vehicles wanting more...

I've driven quite a few standard and fully modded ones - I'd love to own one...

How much did you get as a trade if you don't mind me asking...

Comment

• Wrex
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2007
                  • Perth

Originally posted by MSF View Post
                  Congrats on the new purchase - besides the lack of vision (IMHO) out of the FJ Cruiser, they are brilliant and as you say, I've seen many of them in capable hands do things that left other more 'capable' vehicles wanting more...

I've driven quite a few standard and fully modded ones - I'd love to own one...

How much did you get as a trade if you don't mind me asking...
                  Yep vision is very average

As for a trade not much. I did strip it back to as bare as i could. PM sent

Comment

• Nik
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2010
                    • Perth

They're obviously not as good as a Paj but not a bad second choice Actually I really like the look of those FJs and I've heard good things about how they go off road. How do you find the economy? They quote 11l/100km which would be pretty impressive for a 4l 6cyl petrol. Have you had much of a chance to test it off road yet?
                    Last edited by Nik; 05-11-13, 12:59 AM.
                    2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

• Wrex
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2007
                      • Perth

Originally posted by Nik View Post
                      They're obviously not as good as a Paj but not a bad second choice Actually I really like the look of those FJs and I've heard good things about how they go off road. How do you find the economy? They quote 11l/100km which would be pretty impressive for a 4l 6cyl petrol. Have you had much of a chance to test it off road yet?
                      I don't think 11's is achievable. Done 660kms so far out of the 160ltr dual tanks and have not hit half way yet. The Paj was 13's so i think it'll be similar until i tow where i will use more fuel. My cap priced servicing for 1st 3 years or 60k is $210 per service. No more $1000 plus dollar services and tappet adjustments more money for petrol. I'm happy with the trade off.

I have driven many stock ones off road and they are formidable. I rate them above the Prado and with the Crawl control i will not put a locker in the front end as there is no need.

Comment

• Nik
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2010
                        • Perth

Quoted economy figures rarely are. I think they measure them with a stock vehicle, carrying 5l of fuel, driven by a 45kg female wearing a bikini. I was more curious how close you can get to it. 13l/100km isn't bad after modifications. That's about the same I get from my 3.2l NP, but my old 3.8l NP had a bad drinking problem. Toyota have done an amazing job to get the petrol engine down to the same figures. The price of diesel and petrol has got a lot closer in recent times as well.
                        2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

• Gus
                          Administrator
                          • Mar 2008
                          • Traralgon. Vic

You stick around mate happy to have an FJ on here too!
                          Your shorty was a gem pity you couldn't iron out the few little niggles..
                          crossing to the dark side.. well good luck & I hope you enjoy it as much as your Paj..

Gus.
                          VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
                          NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• JoshF
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2008
                            • Brisbane

Originally posted by Wrex View Post
                            Gotta love the grapevine. That was the original 200 series full of fuel and 5 adults on board.
                            You need to read the fj cruiser forum....it is 20kg not 15 my bad

Have to agree they are pretty capable off road though do suck lots of juice, on a recent trip from Birdsville to Barton Hill via hay river track 22lt/100km was his average with 2"lift and bfg at's
                            NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                            Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• gzeca
                              • Jul 2013
                              • perth

Good luck with the new purchase.

Mate had an original one then traded it up for the update with crawl,nav and lr tanks.
                              But i see yours is the MY14 with updated rims.

His average fuel is approx 18l /100 around town but had big tyres on it
                              08 NS GLX

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X