Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Electrical / Radios

Electrical / Radios Discussion of electrical systems and accessories.

Old 15-04-18

Default SSB 130Ah Dry cell instead of Auxiliary battery setup?

Hey everyone,

Got some good info off a bloke off facebook so thought i would look into it a little more.

It is regarding Auxiliary Battery Set ups. Instead of setting one up he runs a single SSB battery 130 AH and 1000cc AMPs. He runs a direct positive into a multi plug box in the rear. I think it was a 25 amp wire. The only other thing is an inline fuse at the battery end.

Now keep in mind this is just one persons way of doing things and i am interested in finding out if anyone has done similar and pros and cons as i am not the most electrically minded person.

But for someone who wants to run a fridge and some lights for a few days this sounds like a good option.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers
Old 16-04-18
Valued Member

Sounds ok. Make sure your cable is big enough.
You need to make sure you can still start it after a few days. Fuse is definitely necessary will be alot of grunt from that cable.. You can put a 100w solar panel on and your good for 1 week posdibly longer.
Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476
Old 16-04-18

So is the charging of the battery an issue? Do they run low quickly?

It should be fine for normal day to day though yeah? And just charge up when or before and after trips?
Old 16-04-18
Valued Member

I have 2 x 130 SSB as aux in the rear of my nw. Been in about 18 months and all good. I put an 80 amp , high CCA SSB STOP/START battery in to replace the factory original start battery. The SSB was rat shit after 20 months. I believe because it is an AGM the engine bay heat caused its early demise. Lesson learnt...no more AGM,s in engine bay. I put a high cca century 4wd battery in.
Old 16-04-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceisnow View Post
Hey everyone,

Got some good info off a bloke off facebook so thought i would look into it a little more.

It is regarding Auxiliary Battery Set ups. Instead of setting one up he runs a single SSB battery 130 AH and 1000cc AMPs. He runs a direct positive into a multi plug box in the rear. I think it was a 25 amp wire. The only other thing is an inline fuse at the battery end.

Now keep in mind this is just one persons way of doing things and i am interested in finding out if anyone has done similar and pros and cons as i am not the most electrically minded person.

But for someone who wants to run a fridge and some lights for a few days this sounds like a good option.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers
Do you mean only having one battery and using it as both a deep cycle and cranking battery?
Thats risky. Running a fridge and lights for a fews days could easily leave you stranded with a flat battery. If considering this setup then think about adding a battery monitor, a solar panel or carry a portable jump starter. Running the battery down too low will also decrease it's lifespan.
Old 16-04-18

So Dicko1

So you don't think the ssb drycell could live in the engine bay?

Aspey yes thats what i meant. Trying to see if its doable. As far as i have learnt the main issue is recharging so a charger /solar is a must. I don't have an aux now so just using my engine bay battery. So i would be in the same position if i got the ssb with only one battery but it potentially can power more.
Old 16-04-18
Valued Member

Quote:
So Dicko1

Aspey yes thats what i meant. Trying to see if its doable. As far as i have learnt the main issue is recharging so a charger /solar is a must. I don't have an aux now so just using my engine bay battery. So i would be in the same position if i got the ssb with only one battery but it potentially can power more.

tHEY CLAIM THAT THEY ARE OK TO USE IN THE ENGINE BAY. mAYBE i WAS UNLUCKY. oNE GOOD THING. i TOOK IT STRAIGHT TO AN AUTHORISED ssb DEALER , SHOWED MY ORIGINAL INVOICE (FROM AN INTERSTATE SUPPLIER) AND NO WORRIES...GAVE ME A BRAND NEW BATTERY. uNFORTUNATELY i HAD ALREADY PURCHASED A NEW CENTURY. nEW BATTERY IS STILL IN ITS ORIGINAL BOX SITTING ON WORKBENCH.
Old 16-04-18

Quote:
So Dicko1

The HVT range are supposed to be fine for under the bonnet, I hope so as I have 2 of them. They also have a 3 year warranty. No problem with what you suggest except you run the risk of flattening your battery and being left stranded. That can be a big deal if your in the middle of nowhere. Others will probably chime in with some more technical advice.
Old 16-04-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspey View Post
The HVT range are supposed to be fine for under the bonnet, I hope so as I have 2 of them. They also have a 3 year warranty. No problem with what you suggest except you run the risk of flattening your battery and being left stranded. That can be a big deal if your in the middle of nowhere. Others will probably chime in with some more technical advice.
From personal experience their warranty is not worth the paper it's written on.
I chose the SSB AGM due to their under bonnet claim. Failed in 2.5 years and refused to warrant it.
Bit the bullet and trying a Nothstar this time (that hurt $). Will see how this one goes...
MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 MT51s, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, torque converter lockup, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers
Old 16-04-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted32 View Post
From personal experience their warranty is not worth the paper it's written on.
I chose the SSB AGM due to their under bonnet claim. Failed in 2.5 years and refused to warrant it.
Bit the bullet and trying a Nothstar this time (that hurt $). Will see how this one goes...
The only AGM batteries I have got a long life out of was metal jacketed Oodessey, I got 7 years of great performance out of an identical pair fitted in the cranking and aux positions in my Jackaroo and another 3-4 years of reduced performance before I changed them to Optima red and yellow tops. Yellow Top last about 3 years and the Red Yop about 5 years so disappointed with life after the Oodessey batteries.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .