Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-2 Pajero

Generation 4-2 Pajero NT model 2009 - 2011

Old 28-07-11

Default DIY dual battery: Tray modding and reusing factory battery

Here is my completed dual battery setup. I wanted to reuse the 10inch factory battery. I've used the outback accessories tray as it is made from thick powder coated steel not flimsy pressed steel like the piranha. Plus it was alot cheaper!! Only problem is it only takes a 8inch battery but by grinding off the end I could fit the 10inch factory battery.

I've used redarc controller, bussman 90amp terminal fuses. The rear setup is 15amp manual reset circuit breaker mounted on dual tray, cable to the rear to terminate into a hella plug beside factory cigarette lighter. The second battery is a 12 inch trojan 115ah deep cycle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1. Outback accessories battery tray only takes 8inch battery_2272x1704.jpg (190.4 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg 2. Let the modding begin_2272x1704.jpg (198.8 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg 3. Grind the end off_2272x1704.jpg (186.7 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg 4. Touchup black paint_2272x1704.jpg (190.3 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg 5.Bolt it in_2272x1704.jpg (192.7 KB, 356 views)

Last edited by formertoyotaman; 28-07-11 at 05:27 PM.
Old 28-07-11

more pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6. Stock battery beside tray_2272x1704.jpg (187.9 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg 7. Move the 10inch stock battery to the rear tray_1704x2272.jpg (195.3 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg 8. Redarc dual battery controller with bussman fuses and manual circuit breaker for rear hella .jpg (197.7 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg 9. Another angle_4320x2880.jpg (197.3 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg 10. Rear hella plug on left next door to factory cigarette lighter_4320x2880.jpg (195.6 KB, 327 views)
Old 28-07-11
Valued Member

Looks like a nice neat job mate, well done.
Old 28-07-11

Looks fantastic mate.. Wish I was that handy... I was thinking about getting the prianha 10inch tray which wont give me a battery with good ah.. but didn't even consider moving the factory to the back... what a great solution... The Trojan battery fits in the factory tray no worries I take it? But I wont be attempting this myself. I have had quotes so I might see what I can get sorted.

Thanks

Scott
2011 Pajero RX2, white, auto diesel, genuine towbar, electronic rust proofing, brake controller, mats throughout, neoprene seat covers, tinted front windows, headlight and bonnet protectors, dual battery, Redarc with anderson plug and heavy duty fridge socket etc etc but I want more...

Towing - 2013 Coromal Magnum Transforma Poptop

To do list - bullbar, spotlights, polyair airbags or suspension ??? (still to decide), airtec snorkel...
Old 28-07-11
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by formertoyotaman View Post
Here is my completed dual battery setup. I wanted to reuse the 10inch factory battery. I've used the outback accessories tray as it is made from thick powder coated steel not flimsy pressed steel like the piranha. Plus it was alot cheaper!! Only problem is it only takes a 8inch battery but by grinding off the end I could fit the 10inch factory battery.

I've used redarc controller, bussman 90amp terminal fuses. The rear setup is 15amp manual reset circuit breaker mounted on dual tray, cable to the rear to terminate into a hella plug beside factory cigarette lighter. The second battery is a 12 inch trojan 115ah deep cycle.
Well done looks good. But what makes you think the piranha tray is pressed? By my recollection it is about the same gauge ( maybe even heavier ) than what you have used. And it is certainly folded not pressed, not that, that really makes a difference.

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
99 Rodeo TD dual cab.
Old 29-07-11

I stand corrected. The piranha tray is folded. If you look at the two trays side by side you will see how much stronger the outback accessories tray is. And it is black powder coated. My only criticism is that they could of made the plastic battery clamp that holds the battery in the center a bit stronger. The tray bolts directly to the engine bay. It had several predrilled holes which I used to mount my circuit breaker and redarc.

The 115ah trojan battery fits perfectly in the factory tray. Cost me around $330. The model is 27TMH.

I did it this way as I wanted to reuse the factory battery as well as fitting the biggest deep cycle in the factory tray. The bussman terminal fuses were not the cheapest option but they were dead easy to wire up and came with protective caps.

Last edited by formertoyotaman; 29-07-11 at 02:08 AM.
Old 29-07-11

Hi former toyota man, what Pajero do you have?I have the NT and wasn't impressed with the size second battery that could go at the back... so your solution is great...I had a look at my starting battery last night and there doesn't seem to be much movement for the original cables...how did you go?
2011 Pajero RX2, white, auto diesel, genuine towbar, electronic rust proofing, brake controller, mats throughout, neoprene seat covers, tinted front windows, headlight and bonnet protectors, dual battery, Redarc with anderson plug and heavy duty fridge socket etc etc but I want more...

Towing - 2013 Coromal Magnum Transforma Poptop

To do list - bullbar, spotlights, polyair airbags or suspension ??? (still to decide), airtec snorkel...
Old 29-07-11
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by formertoyotaman View Post
I stand corrected. The piranha tray is folded. If you look at the two trays side by side you will see how much stronger the outback accessories tray is. And it is black powder coated. My only criticism is that they could of made the plastic battery clamp that holds the battery in the center a bit stronger. The tray bolts directly to the engine bay. It had several predrilled holes which I used to mount my circuit breaker and redarc.

The 115ah trojan battery fits perfectly in the factory tray. Cost me around $330. The model is 27TMH.

I did it this way as I wanted to reuse the factory battery as well as fitting the biggest deep cycle in the factory tray. The bussman terminal fuses were not the cheapest option but they were dead easy to wire up and came with protective caps.

The TJM tray is also an excellent auxiliary tray (if you can find one) considered one of the strongest as it is nearly a full box and sells for about $150. Given the original is plastic and nearly always fails I think any of the aftermarket in metal will work

If you search for posts started by HSVrangie he has posted a drawing of a replacement tray for the OEM battery position that you can make, this allows for a larger again 13" battery to used in this position after moving the start battery to the auxiliary try.

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
99 Rodeo TD dual cab.
Old 29-07-11
Valued Member

Neat idea. Are you going to beef up the factory tray (I see reports of them breaking).

Where did you source the bussman terminal fuses from?
2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.
Old 29-07-11
Valued Member

bussed fuse blocks are available from Arrid. blue seas item.
6 fuse $35.00

http://www.arrid.com.au/pdf/Switches...talog_2006.pdf

page 57

Michael.
2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.