Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Other Makes including Toyota Nissan etc

Other Makes including Toyota Nissan etc Discussion on pro's and con's of other makes and models.

Old 3 Weeks Ago

A Track Hawk would be neat! BUT only if I won Lotto!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Maybe this is the only reliable Jeep ...

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=65313

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Reminds me of the bloke from Melbourne who made a viral video of his Jeep Grand Cherokee lemon. Catchy tune, coupled with some good visuals made his story the talk of the town, even featured on the Sunrise show.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I saw this on another forum and the comment was " We used to own a Jeep Grand Cherokee, thats why we now own a Prado."
I know some one who had a simple problem with a 10 year old Jeep and the Jeep dealer told him because it was more than 10 years old they couldn't fix it. He now owns a Dmax.
2005 NP GLX DiD,Alloy bullbar, Rallye 2000 driving lights, dual batteries,icomm UHF, 2" lift Ultimate Suspension, HD front,SD back with Ironman air bags, TJM underbody protection, HD valve body and Torque Converter. In tow,Track Trailer T van.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryo View Post
I saw this on another forum and the comment was " We used to own a Jeep Grand Cherokee, thats why we now own a Prado."
I know some one who had a simple problem with a 10 year old Jeep and the Jeep dealer told him because it was more than 10 years old they couldn't fix it. He now owns a Dmax.
Be careful what we say here! We may well be in the same boat wrt parts supply as our fleet ages. Sure - there are plenty of wrecked Pajeros, but even those will dry up some time. It must only be a matter of time before parts for the trusty 3.2 diesel and the petrol variants disappear.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Who are they kidding-everyone knows that the parts to fix this wouldn't realistically cost more than $5-10 000, the $40 000 quote for parts is just stupid. And labour-40hrs-really?? I've not worked on jeeps, but I'm wondering how it would take a full working weeks worth of labour to do this job when it sounds like its just parts replacement (and I imagine an overestimation on what parts to replace knowing modern mechanics and dealerships-they just change them all). And $170/hr-wowsers!! That is some premium money for a bunch of people who obviously can't think outside the square. I'm guessing the mechanics themselves are seeing about $30/hr of that-surely the cost of staying open is a hell of a lot less than $140/hr. Those guys are taking home a lot of profit

Did anyone consider buying a written off car and just transferring parts/engine over? Surely the fuel system could be cleaned out of any metal fragments that are in there-reverse flushing or similar. I'm guessing its a common rail diesel, but I can't see how the parts would be worth anywhere near the amount they are charging, there just isn't that many parts there.

Other alternative is buying parts directly from the US. It seems like the car owners have gotten this quote and just left it at that, when I'm sure someone else somewhere would be willing to give it a go.

I think Jeep Australia has shot themselves in the foot with this one. For the cost of what they pay for parts (if its anything like other markets in Aus, the importer is probably more than doubling what they pay, then the retailer is making a smaller margin on top) which I guess would be a few thousand at the most, plus labour, they could have saved having this story spread around all the major news outlets and shared liberally on facebook and similar, when by their own admittance it was a manufacturer fault.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erad View Post
Be careful what we say here! We may well be in the same boat wrt parts supply as our fleet ages. Sure - there are plenty of wrecked Pajeros, but even those will dry up some time. It must only be a matter of time before parts for the trusty 3.2 diesel and the petrol variants disappear.
No dramas whilst they are still selling new ones here - even petrols are still sold overseas.
Then they are required by law to provide parts for many years after they stop selling them.
At least Pajeros need far fewer parts than some other brands!
Old 3 Weeks Ago

This sheds a bit more light on things.

https://www.facebook.com/consumerlaw...1685899517783/
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Got what they wanted and still not happy. Good on Jeep for fixing even though they didnít have to. I wonder if any other manufacturer would do the same with a car out of warranty?

https://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...fUix6sgguUD6vg
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bad4u View Post
Good on Jeep for fixing ...
Respectfully, I disagree. While the car may have been out of Manufacturer's Warranty, it is still covered under Australian Consumer Law. A failure like that is not caused by wear and tear, and not within the expected parameters of operation.

I considered buying a Jeep Cherokee. I quite liked the Trailhawk model. But when I read about the persistent gearbox failures, coupled with Jeep's terrible attitude to warranty problems, I decided on anything but Jeep.