Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Electrical / Radios

Electrical / Radios Discussion of electrical systems and accessories.

Old 21-06-19
Valued Member

Default Tyredog TPMS replacement

One of my tyredog TPMS sensors appears to have broken. On eBay I can buy a whole new TPMS with 4 sensors for half the cost of a tyredog replacement sensor. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the cheapies like this one?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solar-Po...YAAOSwRFNc0tBj
2010 NT DiD Platinum, MM tow bar, Red Arc electric brake controller, ARB Delux bullbar, TJM suspension, TJM Gold shocks, Airtech snorkle, Cooper ST Maxx, 2nd Battery+ extra sockets, catch can, intercooler/ sump/ transmission guard, scan guage II, Hid driving lights, Ironman awning, daytime driving lights + other little bits
Old 21-06-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
One of my tyredog TPMS sensors appears to have broken. On eBay I can buy a whole new TPMS with 4 sensors for half the cost of a tyredog replacement sensor. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the cheapies like this one?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solar-Po...YAAOSwRFNc0tBj
I also have the tyredog, I think it is way overpriced, next time ill definitely go a cheapie of ebay.
Sorry i cant be of any help to your question.
Old 21-06-19
Valued Member

I recent fitted a TPMS from DigOptions at the recommendation of Njswb.
Great unit at a very reasonable price;
https://www.digoptions.com.au/tyre-p...tpms-4-interna

Dig Options have a large selection of TPMS available.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 21-06-19

I've used a couple different types and the Tyredog is the only one which provided reliable information. Some of the cheap versions don't seal well on tyre valve and leads to excessive leakage. Other ones that connect to Android devices have software issues and cause all sorts of conflicts. Don't get me wrong, for the price of a cheapy one it may work for your requirements but as always 'Buyer Beware'.

Rather than eBay I'd jump onto Aliexpress and look through the dozens of models they have on offer for much less $$. Can even buy a replacement Tyredog sensor.
Old 25-06-19

I bought one of these in Mar 2018 for myself and was so impressed bought another for my son. We both still reckon they are fantastic. My 6 sensor Tyredog system I bought for $495 in 2011 only has 2 sensors still working. No way would I spend big dollars on a tpms again.
Old 25-06-19

Another vote for the Digoptions Masten tpms, $289 for 6 external incl booster. Have worked flawlessly on our current trip on the Oodnadatta Track, Lake Eyre PARs and the Centre. I have read they are the same as the Safety Dave system. Internal version is also available. LH rear sensor has been battered by rocks but is still working fine. Pressures match +/- 1 or 2 psi to tyre gauge values.
Old 28-06-19

Default Masten TPMS

Hi there Old Jack
I have been looking at the TPMS you purchased as a possible replacement for my Inawise unit, for which sensors are unavailable in Australia. Can you tell me if it has dual pressure ranges, ie on-road and off-road settings. Is there a manual available anywhere - I can't find one? How awkward is it to set up, especially when rotating tyres?
Regards
2010 NT GL Auto DiD- OL Bull Bar, Avenger (Kingone) 9500lb winch, Tow Bar, Rhino rack bars with old rack on top when needed. GME UHF radio, Dual battery system (home made tray, Enerdrive isolator, dual voltmeter), s/steel water tank in 3rd seat storage area, rear storage (home made), Narva lights, 50mm suspension lift (Kings springs, OzTec shocks), Masten TPMS, Bushskinz underbody protection and sliders, 3" exhaust, EGR block, Scangauge, Toyo A/T II tyres, Airtec snorkel
Old 28-06-19
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widgeeman View Post
Hi there Old Jack
I have been looking at the TPMS you purchased as a possible replacement for my Inawise unit, for which sensors are unavailable in Australia. Can you tell me if it has dual pressure ranges, ie on-road and off-road settings. Is there a manual available anywhere - I can't find one? How awkward is it to set up, especially when rotating tyres?
Regards
I have the same unit. It has dual pressure ranges, which the manual classifies as light load / heavy load, but you can set whatever pressure into either range, so I have mine set as highway pressure / offroad pressure. Changing between them is a single push of a button.

Each range has separate pressures for front tyres and rear tyres, but they don't always adjust in single PSI increments. Once you have set the pressures, the monitor will alarm for pressure variation (up or down) of more than 25%, or a rapid change in pressure. When I'm offroad at low pressures, the +/- 25% window can be a bit small i.e. when starting at 16 psi it's easy to set off the alarm at 20 psi. So I occasionally have to adjust the set pressure on the fly, which is not difficult to do.

Rotating tyres is relatively simple, although it will only let you "swap" a pair of tyres - so you need to be careful to keep track of which tyre has been "swapped" to where. Other than that, I find it's a relatively simple process.

For the price, it only needs to save one tyre to pay for the entire system. I also like that it displays pressure and temperature at the same time - with my previous system, I had to push a button to check temperatures.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 28-06-19
Valued Member

NJswb put me on to the DigOptions in tyre TPMS and at just over $200 for 5 sensors and all the features it is an absolute bargain!
It only has to save a half worn tyre when you are traveling outside the city and it has paid for itself.
If it prevents you from having an accident then it is the best $200 you will ever spend!

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 28-06-19

Thanks to both njswb and old Jack for the info. After reading other posts and looking at AliExpress I toyed with the idea of one of their cheap as chips solar systems. But for the sake of a few dollars and the security and convenience of an Aussie distributor, I'll go with this also.

Just need to get my head around tossing out a perfectly good $400 Inawise system for the sake of no sensors available.

Regards
2010 NT GL Auto DiD- OL Bull Bar, Avenger (Kingone) 9500lb winch, Tow Bar, Rhino rack bars with old rack on top when needed. GME UHF radio, Dual battery system (home made tray, Enerdrive isolator, dual voltmeter), s/steel water tank in 3rd seat storage area, rear storage (home made), Narva lights, 50mm suspension lift (Kings springs, OzTec shocks), Masten TPMS, Bushskinz underbody protection and sliders, 3" exhaust, EGR block, Scangauge, Toyo A/T II tyres, Airtec snorkel