• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Capeyorker
    • Mar 2014
    • Bamaga

Won't engage 4wd

Ok so I know there is numerous pages about similar issues but I can't find any just like mine.

I was heading to a swimming hole near home and it's quite a muddy/sloppy track in so I pull up before a bog hole and try and put the car into 4h. All 4 green lights continuously flashed. I know sometimes if you roll forward and back it sometimes slips in but to no avail. All I got was a loud clunk and nothing. If I put it back to 2h it's fine and if I put it into 4hl the orange light stays constant but the green lights still won't stop flashing.
    It's got me stumped and don't really know where to start looking.
    Please help
    2002 NM Exceed, EBAY snorkel, WARN Recovery kit, Lots still to come
  • Capeyorker
    • Mar 2014
    • Bamaga

Sorry change that. Only the front wheels flash. The back wheels flash once or twice then go constant.

Comment

• GHendo
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Northern NSW

You have to move off a bit for the lights to go out sometimes. If you are going into low range (4HLC), wait until a little light saying 4WD (I think it says) comes on - next to the 4 green wheel lights, then slowly move off - you should be in low range and will be able to tell by your speed.

Geoff
      03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Capeyorker
        • Mar 2014
        • Bamaga

Yeah when I put it into 4h the front wheels keep flashing, even when moving off. When I drive for a bit I get one big clunk but it still won't go in.

Comment

• gringo
          • Jun 2009
          • Harrington Park (Sydney)

You should have your car in N neutral to engage and disengage than there is no problem

Comment

• Capeyorker
            • Mar 2014
            • Bamaga

I always have it in neutral when going into 4wd. Still getting the problem.

Comment

• abw
              • Aug 2013
              • Sydney

Just to be clear. To move from 2wd to 4wd or 4hLc, you should be moving (10klm is fine), with the wheels pointing straight ahead, foot off the accelerator. To go into 4 low, you should be in neutral and stopped.

Capeyorker, when was the last time you changed the oil in you diffs?
              was Pajero NS 2008

now GU Patrol

Comment

• Bogger
                Unregistered as asked
                • May 2011

When you say won't engage ? 4wd not engaging as in not going into 4wd or simply lights flashing on dash ? Two distinct and vastly different problems ?

Comment

• Capeyorker
                  • Mar 2014
                  • Bamaga

Well I guess I'm not certain the front wheels aren't driving but when I am moving forward there is a loud clunk. As if it is trying to go in but then doesn't. I have done a lot of driving in Cape York and the tele track as this is where I live and have never had a problem getting it to go into 4h.
                  The problem is going from 2h to 4h. The 4 green lights flash. Then the back ones go constant and the front ones keep flashing.
                  As I continue to move there is a clunk. I think if I keep moving there is another clunk and so on.

Comment

• Capeyorker
                    • Mar 2014
                    • Bamaga

Still in need of help. Don't know what the go is.

Comment

• RUGGA
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2014
                      • Adelaide

Are you able to post a Video, so some of the gurus are seeing/hearing the same you are ?
                      02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• Capeyorker
                        • Mar 2014
                        • Bamaga

So I went for a drive before to look into it more. Driving in 2h is fine. I stopped, put it into neutral and shifted into 4h. The green lights flashed then the green lights for the back wheels went constant and the front ones kept flashing. I put the car into drive and slowly moved forward. After about ten metres there was a clunk from under the car around the front diff or something. If I continued on the same noise occurred about every ten metres.
                        The front wheels definitely didn't engage because I tried driving up a steep embankment and the front wheels didn't turn.
                        I replaced the solenoid near the air box about 8 months ago and haven't had any trouble using 4wd until now.
                        Could it be the same thing again. It's a different thing to that time but might still be related.
                        Really lost for answers at the moment.

Comment

• Calspec
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2007
                          • SA

Capeyorker.

First things to do is confirm if your front diff is being engaged. Remove the sump guard under the vehicle. That is the rear of the two factory guards under the engine (the plastic one). Once this is removed you have a clear view of the front drive engage actuator. Change between 4H and 4L and you should see that the actuator moves to one position or the other. Note which position it is in, change to other mode and re check position. I cannot recall if extended position is 4 or 2, but you should see it in one position or the other. You may have to move the vehicle back and forth a bit to get it to move if is a bit stubborn. It should change and then stay is that position. If it does change but your green lamps for the front wheels keep flashing, then there is likely an issue with the sensor that detects 4H position. Clean with contact cleaner the three plug/connectors located midships on the LHS under the vehicle. Then try again.

See how you go with that as a first step.

FYI you can be driving at speeds up to around 80-100km/h (not accellerating though) and change between 2H and 4H without any concern. You need to be stationary ( or VERY slow) to change between 4H and 4Hlc and also to 4Llc
                          01 NM Exceed 3.5l Auto, SVI LPG, Pacemakers, Alloy Bar, IPF lights, GME TX3440, OME/King Suspension, 2" Lift, Toyo OCII 75's, 2500Kg Tow Hitch, Milford Cargo Barrier, ARB Fridge, ABR Dual Battery isolator, Rear storage drawers, Hema Navigator 7, JVC 7" In dash DVD, TJM Compressor, 2.5T Hand winch and all the bits that go with it, and a 17' Jayco Westport.

Comment

• Capeyorker
                            • Mar 2014
                            • Bamaga

Thanks calspec. I'll try that first this afternoon.

I'll let you know what I find and see where to go next.

Cheers

Comment

• Capeyorker
                              • Mar 2014
                              • Bamaga

So I got under and looked at the actuator. I hope I'm right in it being right in the middle between the front wheels. It's got a metal rod with a rubber sleeve over it and at one end there is a round bit. About 6-7 cm in diameter. From what I can see there is meant to be two small vacuum hoses connected to this round but.
                              One of these hoses has snapped off.

My new question is can I just get that round bit or do I need the whole actuator assembly.

I hope all that makes sense.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X