X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Craig Williams
    • Aug 2014
    • Gold Coast

Gauge removed and connected to a spare battery I had in my shed.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4958V2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	980121
    Removed thermistor from front bumper bar (passenger, LHS) and used it to measure the inside temperature (which are the Red and Red/White wires at the back of the gauge, these can be seen in the fourth photo)

Name:	IMG_4959V2.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	980122
    and then tested the outside temperature (you can see the thermistor in this picture which has some spare "speaker wires" running from it into the back of the gauge to the Black and Black/White wires)

Name:	IMG_4963V2.jpg
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	980123
    Note there is a 3 degree difference between both temperatures even though both were measured at the same spot and the same time, my work shed. The readings should be the same but as the gauge is almost 30 years old there is some inaccuracy.
    A view from behind showing how the wires are connected. Note: Blue/White wire to positive terminal and Black/Green is negative and the Black and Black/White going to the thermistor

Name:	IMG_4964v2.jpg
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	980124
    A close up of the light blue coloured worn out 62 ohm 2 Watt resistor in the bottom left corner (it was very hot and working intermittently). If you touched it with the plastic handle of a screw driver it went off, and if you tapped on the front of the gauge it would start working again. If you look close you can see the "burn" marks from where it has been over-heating.

Name:	IMG_4969v2.jpg
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	980125
    Will be continued on my next post....stayed tuned as the replacement resistor is still coming as its "in the post"
    Last edited by Craig Williams; 03-06-17, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• Craig Williams
      • Aug 2014
      • Gold Coast

3/06/17 a month later... the 62 ohm 2 Watt resistor arrived from China this week (in fact I made a mistake and ordered too many, so I have 39 spares! PM if you need me to post you one or two for a spare).

Name:	IMG_5088.jpg
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	980274
      the bottom left corner has the new blue resistor soldered in place (it gets very hot to touch, leave a small "air gap" of say 2mm underneath it when you solder it back in place to keep it's heat off the PCB). I placed the old one underneath it just for this photo.
      The small white resistor? immediately above the new blue one I just replaced was loose so I re-soldered it as well (check by gently wobbling each component using small long nose pliers and re-solder any loose ones)
      Below is my wiring diagram which I used to work all this out

Name:	IMG_5093.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	980275
      The gauge is now back in my Pajero Gen 1 and working perfectly, not bad for a 29 yr old gauge! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions
      Last edited by Craig Williams; 03-06-17, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• 1989pajero
        • Mar 2016
        • Brandon Mississippi

I will be doing this repair soon and thanks for the detail of your posts. you should be able to use a 62 ohm 5 watt resistor instead of a 2 watt right? I do not have one handy to compare but if the size will fit it should be able to work with less heat and prevent further heat damage.

Comment

• Craig Williams
          • Aug 2014
          • Gold Coast

Probably will work if not too long or fat, otherwise I can post you one or two as I have 39 of them left over

Comment

• 1989pajero
            • Mar 2016
            • Brandon Mississippi

Thanks for the offer but I live in the states so i am sure the shipping would be more than the resistor is worth.

Comment

• Craig Williams
              • Aug 2014
              • Gold Coast

Recently the IOTG stopped working again, it was the top component, a diode in this photo

Name:	diode loose.jpg
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	980901
              which had a dry joint which means re-solder to make a good connection.
              So I have had three dry joints, see photo (and I had already replaced the 62 ohm resistor the big blue one at the bottom, prior to this. It gets very hot, don't touch it!).
              My first post goes back to 1/11/14 almost 3 years ago now and it is still working (after a few interventions). Don't worry about the "-E" for error reading as I had not plugged in the thermistors!
              Last edited by Craig Williams; 09-10-17, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X