• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antman77
    • Jan 2010

Outlander as a second car

G'day everyone,
    So i currently have an 03 Pajero, which i was thinking about replacing however my plan got thwarted because my subaru is becoming annoying, every other week seems something is going wrong with it. Anyhow, I'm looking at the outlander.

How does the AWD system work, are they full time AWD or part time?

Does anyone know if the V6 with leather and so on was available as a manual.
    I'm looking at buying the previous shape, I think it went up to 09
    Are there any common faults with them?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

PS I know they are not real 4WDS, thats why I have the pajero.
  • nayala
    • Mar 2013
    • western victoria

Don't buy outlander, eventhough they are AWD but they has low ground clearance, Have you consider challenger? try to look for an ex display, you will get a good price.
    Cheers
    Ika

2013 NW 3.2 L GLX R : Boo's bash plate, Roley rear plate, ORS Drawer, GME 3110 plug n play, SPV mod, Redarc BCDC 1220IGN, Pioneer platform, 30" LED light bar on roofrack, ARB bullbar

2004 NP ; Dueller 697 ; ARB bullbar ; Uniden 7760 : RFI CD900 ; eagle eyes headlight ; double din Tablet PC DVD ; 7" spotlight ; (SOLD)

Comment

• Stroker
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Glenorie NSW

Hey Antman

We looked at an Outlander too when we were buying a petrol ASX for one of our kids. The V6 engine has been dropped from the new models AFAIK, you get a 2.4 petrol or 2.2 diesel in the AWD and a 2.0 petrol in the FWD. The 2.0 is only 110 kW, same engine as used in the ASX which is massively underpowered.
      Pity the V6 isn't around anymore

Cheers Glenn
      NP Exceed 2005 3.2 diesel automatic , 100% stock standard except for the headlight globes

Comment

• cannonsjs
        • Mar 2014
        • Melbourne

I had a 2011 Outlander VRX. I think that is the shape you are referring to. They sold from 2009 - 2011. When I was doing my research I didn't come across any common faults. They seem to be very well built. The V6 has a timing belt which needs to be changed at ~100000km. I believe the small petrol engines have a timing chain, although don't quote me on that one.

I really liked the car and would much prefer it to Challenger for a daily driver. It has heaps of storage space although the stock springs are super soft in the rear and need to be upgraded or use airbags if you want to carry any weight. Only other thing I didn't like off the top of my head is the V6 needs premium petrol. I am not sure if that is also the case for the other petrol engines you can get for that model.
        2016 NX Pajero GLX - Bushkinz Bash Plates, 50mm Ultimate Suspension Lift, Uniden 8050S, Projecta Dual Battery Kit, Kuhmo AT51
        2014 PC Challenger Base - Bushskinz & MM Bash Plates, Uniden 8050S, Projecta Dual Battery Kit, Falken Wildpeak AT02

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

My son in law has a MY 11 Outlander (previous shape),2.4 EFI with the CVT auto. Comfortable, reasonably economial, large cargo capacity, a bit under powered when loaded and on steep hills. Ok off the bitumen and on easy tracks but lack of ground clearance, long overhangs, short suspension travel, plastic underbody guards and no low range means it stops about the same time as any other SUV. Rear springs are super soft, so when loaded the backend bottoms out easily. He has already had a set of rear coils fitted under warranty and they are a slight improvement but I think within the year we will change these out for some aftermarket coils althought options are limited.

Summary, practical value for money AWD wagon.

cheers, OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Antman77
            • Jan 2010

Thanks for the feed back so far.
            The off road limitations don't really bother me because I'll still have the pajero.
            All I want the outlander for is a second car. I'll take it on dirt roads that a 2wd can go on, thats all i expect from it's off road ability.

The rear suspension sounds like a simple fix trip to a good suspension shop, I imagine a good set of springs would be fairly cheap.
            I might do a bit of research about the timing belt / chain. Preference is for a chain but i can live with a belt.

Seems like I should go and have a look at them, there don't seem to be many V6's on the market so I expect it will be a while before I manage to find one.

I like the ASX too, but for our family, I think it will be to small.

Comment

• vladguan
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2015
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Antman77 View Post
              Thanks for the feed back so far.
              The off road limitations don't really bother me because I'll still have the pajero.
              All I want the outlander for is a second car. I'll take it on dirt roads that a 2wd can go on, thats all i expect from it's off road ability.

The rear suspension sounds like a simple fix trip to a good suspension shop, I imagine a good set of springs would be fairly cheap.
              I might do a bit of research about the timing belt / chain. Preference is for a chain but i can live with a belt.

Seems like I should go and have a look at them, there don't seem to be many V6's on the market so I expect it will be a while before I manage to find one.

I like the ASX too, but for our family, I think it will be to small.
              We have a 2007 MY08 Outlander XLS 2.4 AWD as the wife's car. I find the suspension quite hard on these (corners without a lot of roll). Mind you, ours have the factory strut brace. The 2.4 I4 has decent poke off the lights and the 2.4 does not require PULP. If you are getting the v6, get the MY10+ as they are more economical and has more power/torque. AFAIK, the v6 only comes with the standard 6 speed auto (not the CVT with 6 artificial gates).

One thing to bear in mind is that if you get the VRX/XLS etc which comes with 225/55/R18 tyres, these cost a fair bit to replace as not many cars use that size.
              Please call me Vlad.
              -----------------------
              MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X