• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angus4032
    • Feb 2012
    • Perth, WA

265/65 R18 Tyres With No Suspension Lift

Hi Everyone,
    I've wanted for a while now to fit BFG KO2 A/Ts one size larger than the stock 265/60 R18's, aiming for 265/65 R18's but I was hesitant to outlay ~$2k buying 5 tyres in case they weren't going to fit without clashing with the guards and/or if the spare wasn't going to fit in the rear tyre carrier.
    After searching this forum for a decent write up on whether or not this is possible without a lift kit, I found I really struggled to find one that put the issue to bed.

I took the gamble today and had them installed, thankfully without any dramas. They fit easily, they've got heaps of clearance right the way through the steering range and they seem to fit the guards nicely. Sure a 50mm suspension lift will give me back any travel that I might have lost up under the top of the guards at full compression (for all you crazy guys out there that love hangin' wheels in the air). But for now, they'll do just fine for the beach and gravel roads, main thing I wanted was to be able to deflate them with a bit less worry and now that I have a 13mm taller side wall tyre than with the /60 profile, I can.

Also the rear tyre carrier fits the tyre with plenty of room to spare as well. So all-in-all I'm stoked.

Must adit they're a little bit more noisey than my Cooper A/Ts that were on the car previously but not enough to give a stuff. I've had a set of KO2s on my previous Paj so I know they're a good tyre.

Photos attached, if you're thinking about doing it because you want the extra tyre to deflate on the beach. Go for it. And for those that are going to say you should've just bought 17" rims. Yeah, ok, I've read all about the benefits but whatever, I cbf dealing with selling off the old set of 18's.

Cost of the tyres was $410 each incl fitting, balancing and alignment at Ian Diffen Discount Tyres Centre in Canningvale, WA.
    Attached Files
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Angus,
    As you have discovered a size up in tyre diameter fits without any issues.
    Because of the independent front and rear suspension design you have not lost any wheel travel, by upgrading the suspension to increase the ride height all you do is change the relative static position that determines the ride height within the existing suspension travel.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Angus4032
      • Feb 2012
      • Perth, WA

Winner winner chicken dinner! thanks mate.

Comment

• Cloverleaf
        • Mar 2017
        • Perth

Hi Angus,
        Will be interested to hear how you go on a decent run. I was looking to do the same but didn't when one of the lads at work went up one size on his 17" rims and he reckoned that it affected the cruise control because the motor 'fell out' of it's torque band at 100km/h.
        I ended up with 265/60 18" AT3Ws from Tyrepower in Willetton.

Keep us posted.

Cheers,
        Stuart

Comment

• Stacho
          • Apr 2018
          • Perth

Yes I fitted 275/65 R18 with no fuss. Fits spare carrier no worries.

Comment

• Angus4032
            • Feb 2012
            • Perth, WA

Originally posted by Cloverleaf View Post
            Hi Angus,
            Will be interested to hear how you go on a decent run. I was looking to do the same but didn't when one of the lads at work went up one size on his 17" rims and he reckoned that it affected the cruise control because the motor 'fell out' of it's torque band at 100km/h.
            I ended up with 265/60 18" AT3Ws from Tyrepower in Willetton.

Keep us posted.

Cheers,
            Stuart
            Done a few runs down south to Balingup and back already, no issues with cruise control at all (both at 100km/h on the Kwinnana Fwy and at 110 km/h on South West Hwy).
            Speedo is a little bit more accurate but not by much, GPS now shows speed is 98 km/h whilst speedo is reading 100 km/h.

Comment

• Cloverleaf
              • Mar 2017
              • Perth

Hi Angus,
              Thanks for posting the update.

Cheers,
              Stuart

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

I'll be interested to hear how your fuel consumption goes now. Your odometer will be reading a dew percent low, so I expect that would show up as slightly higher fuel consumption figures. In reality, there should be virtually no difference in true consumption though.

Comment

• toasta
                  • Oct 2014
                  • Northern Beaches, Sydney

Angus4302 - you've had these tyres on now for a little while - how are you finding the gearing and fuel consumption? Noticing anything dofferent?

I'm just doing a suspension upgrade and then going to get the new tyres when I take it to get alignment. I'm going to go the 265/65R18 as well.

Comment

• CarloGab
                    • Aug 2020
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by Stacho View Post
                    Yes I fitted 275/65 R18 with no fuss. Fits spare carrier no worries.
                    Is yours lifted? Sorry to revive this thread but I have a non lifted 2011 Paj NT and want to try this size. I plan on doing the lift later on thanks

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2019
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by CarloGab View Post

Is yours lifted? Sorry to revive this thread but I have a non lifted 2011 Paj NT and want to try this size. I plan on doing the lift later on thanks
                      Just another spanner depending on your set up
                      I have a lift kit on spare wheel, ex factory spare, road tyre 265/60R18
                      Misses the windscreen wiper by maybe 10mm tops.
                      No chance inflated 265/65R18 would work at a glance on my NX MY16 with spare wheel lift kit.

Spare would either have to be flat or i will have to lose the spare lift to fit 265/65R18's.
                      Flat might work & suit, cross the bridge when it matters

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• CarloGab
                        • Aug 2020
                        • Melbourne

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post

Just another spanner depending on your set up
                        I have a lift kit on spare wheel, ex factory spare, road tyre 265/60R18
                        Misses the windscreen wiper by maybe 10mm tops.
                        No chance inflated 265/65R18 would work at a glance on my NX MY16 with spare wheel lift kit.

Spare would either have to be flat or i will have to lose the spare lift to fit 265/65R18's.
                        Flat might work & suit, cross the bridge when it matters
                        Thanks mate. That means 275/65 R18 would def be an issue on the spare carrier but should fit With no rubbing based on Stacho's comment. I wonder this would affect Torque Converter, Speedo,.. I just wished the car came with 17inch wheels lol

Comment

• Angus4032
                          • Feb 2012
                          • Perth, WA

Hello everyone, just a quick reply to all those who're wondering. No noticeable change to fuel consumption from 265/60 to 265/65. Never had an issue with cruise control. Everything still operating as per normal.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X