• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mundy55
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2015
    • Gold Coast

Replacement high beam globes

Is there a simple replacement globe for the high beam, which is brighter, preferably bluer, preferably legal? In the past I've changed over H4s with high performane 150plus Narvas but they don't seem to make a better bulb for the H9.
  • NFT5
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Canberra

H9 is 'state of the art', well sort of. The same technology used in the H9 is in the "Plus" series bulbs, so around 50% more light output than the older technology bulbs such as H11.

Osram is probably the pick at the moment, but there's nothing really wrong with Philips.

If you're willing to move into a grey area of legality then HID is the answer. However you should have halogen or LED driving lights as well because the HIDs do take a while to warm up. In HID there are bulbs that are much higher output than standard, but still draw the standard 35W. Typically these produce up to 4000 lumens which is double that of an H9 and they don't have the headlight destroying heat and UV of high wattage HIDs.

Despite all the hype I've yet to test an LED bulb that gives high output AND a half decent beam pattern. Most LED sellers should be prosecuted for false advertising given that many will only output between 50% and 75% of a standard halogen bulb.
    Chris

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

I have run H9 Phillips Extreme Vision +100% 65 watt globes in my high beams for years and they have lasted unlike all the H11 performance globes I have tried in the low beam position. However my low beams run all the time whereas my high beams are not used that often. Yes the upgrade was worth the expense but now days the single row Lightforce LED light bar eclipses the performance high beams.

H9 performance globes are getting harder to buy, The Phillips Extreme +100 & +130 in the H9 are no longer available.

Only H9 performance globes I know of now are PIAA Hyper Arros +120 and these are 3900K colour temperature so are a bright white, $60 a pair online. Or the Phillips Blue Vision H9 4000K colour temperature that cost about $85 a pair online.

All halogen globes lose brightness with age/use, they start off at 3000K to 3300K colour temperature but over time can get as low as 2700K which is quite yellow.
      Performance halogens are 3600K+ and run hotter so they do not last as long, 150 to 250 hours is typical compared to standard halogen that can last 400+ hours.
      Also if the polycarbonate lens of the head light is not clear then this will cut down the amount of light that gets onto the road.

OJ.
      Last edited by old Jack; 23-05-20, 09:58 AM.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Mundy55
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2015
        • Gold Coast

Thank guys. I'll look into the PIAA and Philips. My high beam lights seem to be very yellow but whether that's because they've deteriorated or look so next to the low beams, I'm not sure.

Comment

• jkwpajero
          • Jun 2008
          • Young, NSW

I purchase my Osram and PIIA headlight globes from this place. Excellent service. https://www.powerbulbs.com/au
          2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X