• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RovingTech
    • Jan 2008
    • Darwin

Lovells springs

Hi . I took my NP in today to have the raised coils and bilstein shocks fitted . When driving down the road I noticed a knocking noise from both front shocks. I mechanic had a look and it seems I need spacers fitted on top of the springs as the shocks are bottoming out. Does anybody know if spacers are required when fitting HD raised lovells springs to the front with bilstein shocks
    2005 NP Exceed DiD .TJM Alloy Bull Bar. Dual Battery
    TX3440 UHF. Airtec Snorkel and false floor. Intercooler and sump guard.
  • enewmann
    • Nov 2008
    • Cashmere Qld

Lovells springs

Hi mate, I put Lovells in my NP last week and had exactly the same problem. Turns out when I disassembled the strut, I dropped the top rubber bush and missed it on re-assembly. There should be a bush either side of the top plate. Check to see if the top outside one is there. No need for spacers, once fitted correctly, all was well. Very happy with the new springs 2" lift all round.

Comment

• adrianp
      • May 2008
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by enewmann View Post
      Hi mate, I put Lovells in my NP last week and had exactly the same problem. Turns out when I disassembled the strut, I dropped the top rubber bush and missed it on re-assembly. There should be a bush either side of the top plate. Check to see if the top outside one is there. No need for spacers, once fitted correctly, all was well. Very happy with the new springs 2" lift all round.
      Hi! I was wondering why you didn't get more than a 2'' lift, like others, 60 to 80 mm. Did you fit the medium duty coils? (This mod is next on my list...)

Adrian
      AdrianP
      2014 NW Exceed, 2015 NX GLS

Comment

Less than 50kmm lift?

Hi Adrian, do a search in this forum on suspension lift. There was a looong discussion on this (I think more than 12 pages) about what product gives you 50mm lift. If not mistaken some King springs give that (and others as well). You are right about HD vs medium duty rates etc. It depends on the weight of the vehicle as well naturally, stock standard vs laden with dual tank, drawer system etc etc.

I got a medium duty set of springs from Tough Dog, and at kerb weight I got 4cm lift front and around 3cm rear. Not high enough lift for some but I'm actually happier at that level than let's say 7cm. The funny thing is that the rear one was advertised as OE height but I was told that it's a little higher than OE and they were right.

Regards,

Comment

• nswarts
          • Oct 2008

GDay all
          I have just had lovells springs and shocks fitted on a TD NP and have probably seen greater than 2"lift. Front were heavy duty and rear medium. The camber of the rear wheels once fully adjusted is still 3/4 of a degree positive. I also am noticing a slight vibration between 70 and 80km/hr which I am guessing could be tail shaft related. I think with some extra weight eg storage drawers, steel bullbar and with the springs settling a bit, these issues may be overcome.

Looks good and drives good, although with the extra height the flared guards make the 7"wheels and standard tyres look tiny.
          cheers

Nigel

Comment

vibration

Gidday Nigel,
            Well done with the spring upgrade, hope you'll have lot's of fun with the car now.

I however found it very interesting because I think my Paj also developed this minor but overall body vibration sensation, just around 70 - 80 khp like yours! Mine too was lifted to 7cm at the rear (only 4cm front). The problem is that I didn't pay attention so I can only think it was after the lift was done. Anyway a replacement set of rear springs have just been installed yesterday, now offering only 3cm lift and I'll share in the coming weeks if the vibration is gone. A brief try today seems to indicate it has, at least has become much much less obvious.

I also noticed the slight camber positive at 7cm lift, and learnt that as the wheel dropped further seems the wheels toe out more and more, and as they are compressed up, they gradually toe in, hence the critical realignment after a lift.

I did think the same that the tyres look a little too small when the lift is that high, well, easy get the bigger ones Not anymore now for me as the lift is very mild.

Cheers,
            Jon

Comment

• enewmann
              • Nov 2008
              • Cashmere Qld

Originally posted by adrianp View Post
              Hi! I was wondering why you didn't get more than a 2'' lift, like others, 60 to 80 mm. Did you fit the medium duty coils? (This mod is next on my list...)

Adrian
              The front springs are medium and the rear heavy duty. Front lift is 2" and the rear is more like 3" but will probably settle back to 2" with a load on. I didnt want too high a lift, just enough to keep me out of trouble. I kept the factory shocks. The camber on the rear wheels is 60' after adjustment, (was 50'). and Toe went from -5 before to +0.5 after adjustment. No vibrations up to 120k, havnt had it any faster :-) (yet) Cheers.

Comment

• RovingTech
                • Jan 2008
                • Darwin

I had medium duty rear and HD rear springs fitted to my NP. The rear lift was also around 70 mm and the front 40 mm. I find the ride quality quite harsh now as I seldom travel with a heavy load so I am considering getting them replaced again. The rear camber settings is also at its max adjustment and is just within specs. As the shocks are good for a 40 mm lift I am concerned that I might be damaging something. I also noted that the rear drive shafts are angled down quite steeply which might not be doing the CV joints any good.
                2005 NP Exceed DiD .TJM Alloy Bull Bar. Dual Battery
                TX3440 UHF. Airtec Snorkel and false floor. Intercooler and sump guard.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X