• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Travel Tragic
    • Nov 2017
    • Central Coast NSW

Seat Belt Alarm

HI All, just a quick question. I have disconnected the drivers seat in my Nx Pajero from the seat belt buzzer. (pulled out a cable fitting as per a thread on this forum). I have since wondered if this would also turn off the airbags as they would not know there was someone sitting in the drivers seat. Not good in an accident!! Thanks in advance John
    2017 NX Second Battery, Redarc DcDc Charger, Factory towbar, Redarc Brake Contoller. Otherwise standard
  • Pajshomoneroguntero
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Sydney

I don't believe so. If the airbag receives all the signals that satisfy the criteria to deploy then it should be reasonably safe to assume that someone is in the driver's seat without having to monitor the seat load specifically.

I'm happy to be corrected but if the driver is the sole occupant and the airbags deploy I'm pretty sure that both front airbags deploy therefore validating my theory above.

Just don't unplug the yellow connectors.
    NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• rgrubby
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2018
      • Wellington - NZ

I would assume the cable you unplugged is for the switch in the seat belt receiver that detects if you have connected to the seat belt (as that is what I did in mine). By disconnecting this, the computer thinks the seat belt is done up, even when it isn't (hence no alarm). As the computer thinks everything is OK, it will activate the airbags as normal.

FYI, If you are considering driving without the seat belt, be aware that part of the SRS system is the seat belt pretensioner. This tightens the seat belt to pull you back into the seat as the airbag deploys.
      2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by rgrubby View Post
        I would assume the cable you unplugged is for the switch in the seat belt receiver that detects if you have connected to the seat belt (as that is what I did in mine). By disconnecting this, the computer thinks the seat belt is done up, even when it isn't (hence no alarm). As the computer thinks everything is OK, it will activate the airbags as normal.

FYI, If you are considering driving without the seat belt, be aware that part of the SRS system is the seat belt pretensioner. This tightens the seat belt to pull you back into the seat as the airbag deploys.
        Also, if you hit something, even at low speed without a belt, or if someone hits you, with the engine running, even if stationary, without a seatbelt on, you may be thrown forward into the airbag deployment zone just as the airbag is deployed with massive force......... it has happened. These devices have hurt and killed people who were either too close or out of position when they deployed correctly (ignoring the separate issue of faulty Takata airbags). Many people don't realise they are sitting just a foot away from a powerful explosive device or several of them in most new cars!
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Travel Tragic
          • Nov 2017
          • Central Coast NSW

thanks

Thanks guys, I always wear a seat belt while driving but when I am backing up to hook up my caravan or trailer I have to jump out a few times and the buzzer drives me nuts. John
          2017 NX Second Battery, Redarc DcDc Charger, Factory towbar, Redarc Brake Contoller. Otherwise standard

Comment

• spot01
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2011
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Travel Tragic View Post
            Thanks guys, I always wear a seat belt while driving but when I am backing up to hook up my caravan or trailer I have to jump out a few times and the buzzer drives me nuts. John
            Another way to solve that issue is to leave the belt buckled up & just sit on it when doing such manouvering. You then have the alarm reminder working for other times or drivers.
            Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X