X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobt
    • Nov 2007

Help please from a 4X4 newbie.

Greetings all, I am a newbie & have just bought my first 4x4.It is a SWB NJ 1994 , soft top.

My question is fairly simple I hope for those that know this stuff !

On the 4wd gear lever it has 2H (thats simple) , 4H(I understand that)-but the diff lock light comes on ? , 4llC is the next & I can't really feel any diff between 4H & 4L,

I am a dumbo in this so

a, tell me I should not feel a difference
    b, Help please,,,what should I feel.

In 4H I have the top 2 wheel indicator lights on , in 4L I have the top two & the centre one ?

Am I missing something or this all as it should be...

Thankyou thanyou

Bob (in WA)
  • bounceferret
    • Jul 2007

Hi Bob
    congrats on the purchase!
    Is your car an auto or manual? I;m guessing auto.....with the auto there should be 2H,4H, 4HLC and 4LLC.
    4H can be used as full-time 4x4 as the centre diff (which locks the 2 axles together so they spin at the same speed) is unlocked. 4HLC means high range four wheel drive is actived but the centre diff is locked (this is only to be used when you really need the traction of 4x4, as using it on a paved road will lead to a nasty case of "windup" which will damage the driveline)

4LLC means 4x4 is activated with the centre diff locked and low range engaged, this is to be used when you need maximum tractability as low range effectivly doubles your torque, only ever use low range on some very tricky steep terrain. Also you cannot drive fast when low range is engaged, only slow driving.

If manual.... you have part time 4x4, 4h is to be used for sandy, dirt, or snow covered roads (never dry paved road surfaces) 4L is only to be used in tricky off-road conditions

hope this helps
    UPGRADING FROM THE NH TO AN NP EXCEED

anyone want an NH? - 2" suspension lift, King springs, Rancho RS 5000 Shocks, 27.5mm Rockcrawler Torsion Bars, 265/70 R 16" BF Goodridge All-Terrains, CIBIE Super Oscar 100 watt, UNIDEN UHF / scanner, Dual Battery, 140L Longrange fuel tank
    $6500

Comment

• bounceferret
      • Jul 2007

Also if you only have the top two lights showing when in 4x4 ( no rear wheel lights?) I'd say your bottom globes have blown, the bottom 2 lights on the 4x4indicator should be on all the time... unless ofcourse the car is turned off... then you will have no lights

anyone want an NH? - 2" suspension lift, King springs, Rancho RS 5000 Shocks, 27.5mm Rockcrawler Torsion Bars, 265/70 R 16" BF Goodridge All-Terrains, CIBIE Super Oscar 100 watt, UNIDEN UHF / scanner, Dual Battery, 140L Longrange fuel tank
      $6500

Comment

• bobt
        • Nov 2007

High running temps ? 94 SWB NJ

Thanks for the advice. I have since discovered that I was missing the "left , down & up on the lever". I have now been though the box & its all excellent. Yes it is manual , not auto.

Thanks again.

Can I please ask a second issue.

I noticed today , towing a bike trailer with 2 full size dirt bikes on it , that she seems to run rather high on the temp guage , back off on the gas & it came down a bit , but still seemed odd. Normally runs at just under 1\2 , but today was closer to 3/4 up the guage. Is this a common one or should I look further. It was 37 degrees here in WA today. I checked the water now its cooler & she is fine & no signs of leaks. It has a viscous liquid fan.

I am considering looking at the thermostat tommorow.Just stresing that it NEVER overheated , just got too high for my comfrt zone , that made me back off the gas .

If this is normal or should I consider further ?

Again , thakyou

Bob

Comment

• bounceferret
          • Jul 2007

Your temperature guage should always be at the half way mark, or just a touch under when the car has reached normal operating temperature. If the temperature guage goes higher then half way then usually something isn't right (unless it's 50 degrees outside and your towing with the aircon on)
          Best thing to do when buying a 2nd hand car is so perform a complete radiator/block flush when you get a chance, just so you know it's done and done right. Replace water with GOOD quality coolant (tectaloy 90+ or some other well recognised brand), Re-new the radiator cap and inspect all hoses. This will cost around $30 and 30 mins of your time. After this I would replace the thermostat (still a pretty cheap and easy exercise to do). If car is still running hot you may want to start thinking about your water pump, which is not a fun job

$6500

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X