• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trisome
    • Dec 2012
    • Bray Park

Originally posted by Sonic View Post
    Can you take a picture where you mean please mate ?
    Hi Sonic

Can't take photos as its all back together, the best I can do is this diagram showing the grease point for said brake drum.

Trisome
    Attached Files
    2007 VRX, Cold Air, HPD Intercooler, 3" Exhaust, Just Autos Tune, Lovels Springs, EFS Shockies.

Comment

• aussieintas
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2013
      • Sorell, Tasmania

Nice work Oakey and great to get back to the forum with the problem and fix
      2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
      88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
      92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
      99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
      95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
      08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Sonic
        • Apr 2015
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Trisome View Post
        Hi Sonic

Can't take photos as its all back together, the best I can do is this diagram showing the grease point for said brake drum.

Trisome
        Thanks so much mate 👍 and thank you guys for all your help and suggestions as forums are so fantastic in sharing ideas/problems and solutions - you are all legends 👏👏👍🤛

Comment

• fewa
          • Jun 2012
          • Melbourne

Originally posted by baida88 View Post
          i had a similar banging noise when i played with the rear shocks. one of the lower shock bolts wasnt tight enough and the shock was bumping around. I took me a while to find as the nut was tight but it just wasnt tight enough it seemed, anyway have a look seeing as you had them played with recently. best of luck
          Had the exact same problem with my NS, took me 2 weeks to find it, and after all the searching it turned out to be a loose l/h lower shockie bolt.

Comment

• Sonic
            • Apr 2015
            • Adelaide

Hi Sonic

Trisome
            Hi mate

Update : I changed my rear discs and pads and had the mechanic grease all the handbrake shoe springs both sides but the noise is still on the rear passenger side any ideas because it does stop when I apply the handbrake whilst driving!!!

Comment

• oscaroo
              • Dec 2017
              • Sydney

Originally posted by oakey View Post
              FOUND IT. Hi, had standard kings rear coils fitted, and the top 3 coils are touching each other under normal load and making the noise . have had plastic like raps fitted between offending coils and that has solved the metallic noise . hope that helps someone else. cheers.
              Gday

I also have a metallic rattle/clunk which seems to be less when the car is loaded. Mainly on the left.

The top 3 coils do seem very close to each other. I've got the kcrr35 at the back.

What was the thing you put between them? Did you put it between each coil loop? Or just one in particular? What material is it? Do you reckon a bit of rubber that Bunnings sells for antislip/antivibration/padding that is 5mm thick would be okay?

Thank you.

Comment

• Sonic
                • Apr 2015
                • Adelaide

So how would that make the noise stop if I pulled on my handbrake?

Comment

• geopaj
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by Sonic View Post
                  So how would that make the noise stop if I pulled on my handbrake?
                  See Trisome’s post from 23/10/18. I guarantee this will be the issue (sounds like your mechanic greased the wrong thing - it’s not the handbrake springs - it’s the contact point between the backing plate and the handbrake shoes, as per Trisome’s diagram.
                  Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Sonic
                    • Apr 2015
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
                    See Trisome’s post from 23/10/18. I guarantee this will be the issue (sounds like your mechanic greased the wrong thing - it’s not the handbrake springs - it’s the contact point between the backing plate and the handbrake shoes, as per Trisome’s diagram.
                    Yeah I see

I swear he grease everything that attached the shoes as he loosened off the shoes completely aswell tbh but seems to have stopped on the driver side so maybe not all in the right places on the left rear ?

Can these be greased from the back (non strip down)?

Comment

• Trisome
                      • Dec 2012
                      • Bray Park

You need to take the caliper off, and slide the disc off. You might need to back th handbrake off to get the disc off, see how you go.

When you get in there you will see the the spot you need to grease, and simply pulle the handbrake shoe away from the backing plate and wipe some grease in behind, you dont need to dismantle the shoe from the backing plate etc.

Trisome.
                      2007 VRX, Cold Air, HPD Intercooler, 3" Exhaust, Just Autos Tune, Lovels Springs, EFS Shockies.

Comment

• Sonic
                        • Apr 2015
                        • Adelaide

You need to take the caliper off, and slide the disc off. You might need to back th handbrake off to get the disc off, see how you go.

When you get in there you will see the the spot you need to grease, and simply pulle the handbrake shoe away from the backing plate and wipe some grease in behind, you dont need to dismantle the shoe from the backing plate etc.

Trisome.
                        Thanks mate 👍

Comment

• NTBenny
                          • May 2017
                          • Newcastle

Well thanks to this thread I've finally located my rear end squeaks. Took the rear disks off and greased the brake shoe locating points as pictured in the previously posted instructions and all fixed. This has been driving me mad for months, so pleased it's gone.

Thanks very much Trisome.

Gave the handbrake assembly a good clean out while I was in there, lots of dirt, dust etc in there.

Benny.
                          2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• Stacho
                            • Apr 2018
                            • Perth

I wish I could say the same. This thread was awesome and helped me locate this sound to the park brakes. As mentioned, it’s the shoes hitting the backing plate but no amount of grease will eliminate it in my case. I can replicate that sound with a blow from a rubber mallet on the disc. Anyways, it was more a car of knowing what the sound was. Now I know it’s not a problem then it doesn’t annoy me as much.

Comment

• Ruddopaj
                              • Apr 2019
                              • AU

Same issue. Totally doing my head in.. Any pebble on the road is a rattle. Should I remove the lot, handbrake assembly, start again by lining the rear mount plate with something?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Trisome
                                • Dec 2012
                                • Bray Park

Hi Guys
                                have been busy so haven't read the stories. Read carefully the 1.1.19 post at 1.11 pm, have a look at some exploded pictures of the brake assembly, and it will pay off.
                                You will be very happy when the noise stops.

Trisome

..........fancy having so many 1's in a post.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X