• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

All Masters stores closing December.

Woolworths announces its exit plan from hardware, with Masters to shut by year end and Home Timber and Hardware sold to Metcash.

Maybe some bargains down the track.
  • Hill
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Adelaide

Its a real shame Masters couldn't get their store size, location, product range and customer service sorted out earlier and traded out of the mess they ended making for themselve.

After the recent profit rise announced by Wesfarmers with a significant contribution by Bunnings WF must be rubbing their hands awaiting the cash cow to produce even more.

Hill
    200 Series
    AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• spot01
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Hill View Post
      Its a real shame Masters couldn't get their store size, location, product range and customer service sorted out earlier and traded out of the mess they ended making for themselve.

After the recent profit rise announced by Wesfarmers with a significant contribution by Bunnings WF must be rubbing their hands awaiting the cash cow to produce even more.

Hill
      I agree - the lack of competition in hardware will only get worse as B drive the remaining smaller players out of business, then we will all pay big time!
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• GOSSAMER
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2008
        • doncaster east vic

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
        I agree - the lack of competition in hardware will only get worse as B drive the remaining smaller players out of business, then we will all pay big time!
        It was announced this week that home hardware and mitre 10 have joined forces so they might be able to add a little pressure.
        Back from the Dark side
        NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• Georgie
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2013
          • Secret Harbour WA

And I read this morning that WF have bought out the Home Hardware group in the UK and Ireland so look out the Brits here comes Bunnings like it or not
          Cheers
          Georgie
          2015 Sahara
          Black Mica in colour
          BFG A/T 275x70x18s Black Widow drawers Redark dual battery system GME CB radio Redarc Tow Prow Elite

Wish List lots

SOLD 2013 GLX- R Pajero

Comment

• grhyso
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2012
            • Perth

Such a shame, i always shopped at bunnings when living in my old house as it was 5 minutes away, now we shop atmasters as its only 5-10 minutes and I'm now used to the store layout. Unfortunately our closest bunnings is a pita to get to and especially back from.
            2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• hinsch
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2010
              • Perth

Had a Masters open about two years ago just up from me, I found their shop difficult to navigate, bits and pieces stuck everywhere, some staff just not helpful or had no idea, not saying Bunnings is much different.
              One issue I found was for example buy one or two bolts, you had to buy a packet of 12, I don't want 12 and I don't want to pay the extra $$$ either, same with flyscreen mesh it came in packets to a set size a lot of waste compared to Bunnings off the roll, buy what you need.
              Woolworths have stated that they are trying to locate Masters staff to another woollies owned companies, maybe one day at Masters next at Dan Murphys, now that can't be all bad can it.
              NX 2016 GLS, Graphite, Nudge Bar, Pirelli Scorpion Plus.

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

The company that killed Dick Smith by filling shelves with cheap crap that people wouldn't buy has failed again by filling shelves with cheap crap that people wouldn't buy.

Those with good levels of disposable income don't make their buying decisions purely on price. If you regularly leave a store disappointed with the quality of the offerings, after a while you'll simply stop going.

Those with less disposable income, who make their decisions primarily on price, don't often exhibit store loyalty - they'll generally buy wherever they can get the best deal.

It's always been much easier to keep an existing customer than attract a new one. They couldn't attract the customers who have lots of money, and couldn't keep the customers who don't have lots of money.

Woolworths and Coles have for years both been shifting their business model to "value" "home" brands, cutting back on choice of name brands. Now the likes of Aldi have swooped in to entice away the customers who are happy to buy unfamiliar brands at bargain prices, while the customers who have their preferred name brands will go wherever they need to go to buy the product they want.

It seems to me that they're chasing the customers least likely to stay.

NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• GOSSAMER
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • doncaster east vic

Monday Masters start clearing their stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  Back from the Dark side
                  NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• GHendo
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Northern NSW

We have a Masters here that opened probably about 2 years ago – huge store with heaps of stock and the staff are very friendly and helpful – something the local Bunnings lacks at times. A lot of their stock is different brands to Bunnings and I’ve found some of the items superior and some not so good, so I’m very sorry to see them go as we’ve bought heaps of stuff from them and it is nice to have an alternative to the monopoly.

Geoff
                    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Katana Chatty
                      • Apr 2011
                      • Blackwood area SA

I try to shop local whenever I can - I refuse to shop at Woolies or Coles and will always go to Foodland/IGA in preference.

With hardware I tried using local - Mitre 10 or Home, but their stores were long on homewares and plants, but typically short on the stuff I wanted.
                      I tried the one and only Masters in Adelaide and came away disappointed on range and service.

Bunnings, much as I hate the "big" stores owned by Westfarmers, I could always go in and know that I would find whatever I was looking for, and generally a good range of options. They have the hardware market stitched up.
                      2008 NS Exceed DiD
                      Twin batteries, FuelManager 30 micron filter, Airtek snorkel, Rhino Pioneer tray, Foxwing awning, TJM bull bar, 9500lb winch, 2" lift + HD progressive rate springs + Polyair bags, 75 litre water tank + electric pump, custom fridge slide, custom drawers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X