• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pete71
    • Aug 2016
    • Qld

New buyer

Hey everyone, great forum here with lots of info.
    I'm looking at buying a new truck and I'm pretty keen on a Pajero. I've had a patrol for the past 15 years so never had any experiences with pajeros. Actually never even sat in one before. We do have an outlander and are very happy with the quality and how it drives. A mate recently got a 2005 Pajero and loves it.
    Im looking at 2008-2012 with a budget of around $25k. Is there anything I should be looking out for in the way of problems/issues with these year models? Obviously a good service history is important, I've read about the door rust issue.
    Also, I've never owned an auto 4wd. What are the automatic models like? Good off-road and towing (only small stuff, tinny and camper)? There seems to be a hell of a lot more autos on the market than manuals.
    Any any all help here greatly appreciated.
    Cheers, Pete
  • christopher
    • Mar 2012
    • Chidlow W.A.

When you look at one check under the clips left and right which cover the third seat connection.

For some reason car detailers forget to clean under these, just gives you and idea of what it's been up to.

I was skeptical about auto for towing, however since owning one I would never go back to manual.

I reverse a 2 horse float up a slope to the undercover park I have, easy as.
    2011 3.2 DID Pajero NT GLS Auto O/L Premium Steel Bullbar, Towbar, Redarc electric Brake controller, Graphite Tint Windows, Wireless Rear Camera low mount for easy float connection

Comment

• Hill
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2007
      • Adelaide

The NT on has a much better auto trans than earlier models and also a few extra Kw. Later NT's dont have DPF which also is a bonus. The rust in doors in NT's would be a great thing to avoid. Didn't affect all vehicles however with many having door tops resprayed it will be hard to tell if issue is likely to return. A small proportion of vehicles have had doors replaced.

Try for a NW auto and you will have a great vehicle.

Add a 3 micron 99% efficiency Donaldson second filter or similiar and your injector pump and injectors will thank you in their old age. Ditto EGR electronic blank.

Hill
      200 Series
      AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Rovingman
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2014
        • Blue mountains

X2
        Pretty good vehicle, have not had an issue with mine, I would replace belts regardless, that's the only thing that has gone wrong with mine, Lucky I was in town and not in bush. Mechanics did not pick it up which was disappointing.
        Pajero NT RX 2011
        Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
        LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• sam.cath
          • Dec 2014
          • Sunshine Coast

X3 for an NW if you can stretch- removes any issues with door rust & also DPF that troubled NS's & NT's.

Great vehicle, think you'll be very happy!!
          2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Fuel Manager secondary fuel filter

Comment

• Peterng
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2013
            • Northern Rivers NSW

x1

You will be very surprised, a very underrated and capable 4wd vehicle and a pleasure to drive.
            There are a few niggles and squeaks with the NT, yes, its a 4wd not a Rolls on the M4.
            Good after market goodies you can get for the Paj.
            The drive train and engine have been around for over 10+ years, so spares are plentiful and many 4wd mechanics are familiar with them.
            I have driven the NT around East Arnhem and its' environs with ease and it has done it without breaking a sweat.
            My only little problem is that my "better" half gets in and wants to drives more than me when she can.
            She use to drive a Peugeot 307, apart from its size, the Paj she says is easier to drive...
            Interesting...
            Last edited by Peterng; 07-08-16, 12:15 AM.

Comment

• ticky
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2015
              • Adelaide

A lot of 4WDers are starting to thing Auto is better than manual for 4WDing these days.

The NS had major problems with the DPF driven in the city without a good run in the country now & again.

The NT has no issues what so ever with the DPF provided the correct oil is used when servicing. From 2010, the DPF was removed altogether, but I am unaware of any DPF problems with the 2009 NT. It is a completely different DPF to the earlier NS model.

The NT also got a minor engine performance upgrade and a new Transmission. This produces more power and much better economy.

I would look for one with the rear Air con unit, which I believe is all but the Base Model. The family pack includes the roof mounted DVD player which is great for the kids, & bluetooth head phones which is great for the parents. The higher end models come standard with a rear Diff Locker.

In my Opinion, the best badge to look for is the VRX or maybe the Platinum. All the major goodies without the expense of the Exceed.

Steve
              2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Pete71
                • Aug 2016
                • Qld

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll take it onboard and go have a look at a few.
                Cheers, Pete

Comment

• Kirkster72
                  • Sep 2013
                  • Sydney

Nt seems to be the choice for the coin, so being bias I agree. I have a Sept 08 Nt (one of the first)
                  & I don't have a dpf, & love it. whatever model you choose you wont be disappointed so goodluck!

Bryan
                  2008 nt gls 3.2 smartbar, runva ewx9500 winch, airtech snorkel, ironman / ome combo lift, smartbar, 75watt hid's, lightbar, dual battery, rear worklight, bashplates, catch can 65ltr waeco, 18ltr engel, ors draws/fridge slide, 58ltr lra aux tank ,blah blah blah!

Comment

• Doowrag
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Gympie Qld

I love my NT Auto, you may struggle to fit an NW in a $25k budget.
                    I have the GLX model which has a couple extras that I've noticed but not the rear AC which is a shame. Mine had the door rust issue but it really isn't a major thing IMO. Mine was repaired for under $500 (paid for by MM) so if it needs doing every 5 years its not going to kill me.

Allow some coin ($400 ish) to do a Major Gearbox Service. Mine was done at 110km and was overdue.
                    2011 NT GLX - Hankooks, 2in Kings/Oztec, SmartBra, XTM Spotties, Warn XD9000, UHF, AutoMate, Ultraguage, Flat Rack, Awning, RedArc Dual Battery System... LOOKING TO BUY FACTORY SIDE STEPS...

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

I think there are many more autos than manuals in the years you're looking at because the autos are so good.

My first three 4wds were all manual, because I was adamant that manual was the way to go. And, with auto technology as it was back then, I'd like to think I was right. But things change, and when I bought my NT, I wanted a diesel auto.

Yes, auto uses a little more fuel than a manual, and engine braking is crap - which I blame on tall1st gear, tall (numerically low) diff ratio, and a tall (numerically low) low range ratio. Otherwise, the 5 speed auto in the NT diesel is pretty good.

On rocks, it's possible to ease up to an obstacle and gently climb over it, rather than having to either juggle throttle and slip the clutch or hit it hard to bounce over. On steep climbs it's possible to travel at whatever speed you like, rather than travel fast enough to avoid stalling a manual (although the extra momentum required by a manual can carry the vehicle over loose spots where traction is poor - which the Pajero's traction control counters pretty well).

The manual mode will actually hold gears past the redline (I saw 4500rpm playing in sand on the weekend - redline is 4200) and allows rapid gear changes under load - attempting to charge up a steep and loose sandy track, I could hit redline in 4th, then down-change to 3rd as the vehicle slowed without losing momentum. Try doing that with a manual!

As an aside, a late model Grand Cherokee on the same tracks wouldn't hold the selected gear - if wheelspin allowed the engine to hit redline, it would change up, even in manual mode. Score one for the Paj!

So go for it. An NT (petrol or diesel, auto or manual) with some lift and decent tyres will surprise you with its capability. I expected mine to be capable, but it still surprises me just how easily it can drive tricky tracks.

NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X