• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1WD
    • Aug 2011
    • Adelaide

All-Terrain Tyres: The Infomercial

What I'm aiming to set up here is a ready reference of all the All Terrain tyres on the market in Australia at the moment.

I'll put a photo and link to the website for each tyre, with the company blurb. Chime in on personal experiences with the tyres if you've used them.

BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A

All fun, all action, all the time, BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO tyres are the ultimate in on/off road tyres. Rocky or smooth, like their name says, they can handle anything on any terrain.
    Bridgestone Dueller D697 A/T

As the successor to the very popular D694, the Dueler A/T D697 has been tested torturously in the harshest Australian outback and found to have superior wear life and better resistance to cutting and chipping. This tough all terrain tyre also delivers better durability, less irregular wear and reduces noise in both new and worn condition.
    Continental ContiCrossContact AT

The ContiCrossContact AT feels at home on all surfaces. The open shoulder provides very good handling characteristics on off-road terrain. The progressive and wear resistant tread compound creates the potential for high mileage performance. And the three circumferential rows of blocks guarantee that the tyre rolls very smoothly and quietly.
    Cooper Discoverer A/T3

The new Cooper Discoverer A/T3 offers a direct OE replacement in a light truck construction for some of the most popular 4WD?s on the market today. The A/T3 utilises a balanced combination of technology, compounding and design to produce a tyre that will perform well in nearly all types of terrains.
    Dick Cepek Radial F.C II

With it's unique "hybrid" design between an all-terrain and mud terrain, the Radial F-C II has proven to be a real "Any Terrain" radial. This is one tough tire! Specialty Light Truck (SLT) Sizes Feature 3-Ply Sidewalls with crossply technology for better handling, increase puncture and tear resistance at the sidewall, and better towing capabilities.
    Falken Wild Peak A/T01

The WILDPEAK A/T 01 is an all-terrain, all-purpose, all-season performance tyre. It features a symmetric five-rib pattern and rigid block design allowing for exceptional on-road response and optimized off-road handling.
    Federal Couragia A/T

Federal?s new all?terrain radial - the Couragia A/T performs and handles brilliantly on and off the road.
    Wide channels and siped tread blocks provide excellent water dispersion while maintaining a quiet and comfortable ride.
    Available in light truck or passenger construction, Federal?s new Couragia A/T tyre could take you and your 4x4 everywhere.
    Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA

The Wrangler AT/SA delivers first class on-road ride comfort, wet grip and stability, while providing added sidewall puncture resistance and strength for when you venture off the bitumen. Featuring Goodyear's Silent Armor Technology, with the addition of DuPont Kevlar, this innovative tyre provides the ride performance required with minimal noise.
    Hankook Dynapro AT-M

Premium aggressive All-Terrain for PICKUP, VAN & Sport Utility Vehicle. Innovative tread & sidewall design to enhance the style of your vehicle. Developed for the most powerful PICKUP, The Dynapro ATM offers best grip & acceleration under all road conditions.

Kuhmo Road Venture AT KL78

The Road Venture AT KL78 is Kumho's On-/Off-Road All-Terrain light truck tire developed for the drivers of jeeps, pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles that want to combine on-road driving manners with off-road driving ability. The Road Venture AT KL78 is available in large rim diameter sizes designed to deliver year-round traction on-pavement and off-road, as well as in snow.
    Maxxis AT-700 Bravo

Even if your SUV spends more time around town than in the bush, you need a tyre that combines rugged handling with unbelievable control and stability. Maxxis tyres are constructed to be versatile in a variety of terrains and weather conditions, so you can feel comfortable and safe wherever you're going. For excellent braking, superb handling, high mileage and outstanding performance, Maxxis offer choice, value and quality.
    Michellin LTX A/T2

MICHELIN LTX A/T2 delivers maximum grip and durability of a rugged off-road tyre with the on-road comfort of a MICHELIN tyre.
    Mickey Thompson Baja Radial ATZ 5-Rib

The ATZ has a 5 rib all terrain design which allows the tyre to perform equally well on and off the road. The solid centre rib enhances straight line stability (less tracking) reducing driver fatigue and reduces noise. The siped tread lugs and full tread depth gives excellent wet weather handling.
    Pirelli Scorpion ATR

Off road it is tenacious and reliable. On road it provides comfort, excellent traction and resistance to wear.
    A versatile and safe tyre, the Scorpion ATR features a tread with a specific self-cleaning pattern. It facilitates the most demanding off-road driving and resists the hardest shocks on uneven surfaces. Once back on the road it provides safety when braking and whilst cornering.
    It delivers a high resistance to aquaplaning and low rolling noise, which enhances the acoustic comfort in the cabin. Excellent traction in all road conditions.
    Characterisation as an all terrain tyre, this is confirmed by its ability to provide a safe and controlled performance on the most diverse surfaces: from gravel to mud, it offers a reassuring grip.
    Toyo Open Country A/T

The Open Country All-Terrain ("OPAT") is a versatile all- terrain SUV tyre available in a large range of passenger and light truck construction sizes. The OPAT features a unique tread pattern that provides high levels of traction on sealed & unsealed surfaces with low levels of tread noise. The tread compound offers high levels of grip on wet roads with exceptional wear resistance.
    Yokohama Geolander A/T-S

Modern four wheel drives are refined & luxurious. Fit the right all terrain tyre and they?re also very capable off road. The Geolandar A/T-S gives impressive all terrain capability without generating the tyre noise and harshness of most all terrain tyres.

To be continued...
    Last edited by 1WD; 15-06-12, 11:06 PM.
    OLD: NW Ironbark Platinum - MM Nudge Bar with Lightforce Genesis Halogens. Bilstein/Lovells combo +50mm. Bushskinz bashplate and sump guard.
  • dryzoned
    • Aug 2009
    • Willunga, South Australia

Interesting.

I'm going through the process at the moment, so it would be helpful to me if your comments/marketing blurb listed 18" support or not. Most don't.

FWIW, my Goodyear Silent Armours havent given any problems in 45,000 kms. Not sure how much longer they'll last though. If I can't get a 25% discount again, I'll be looking at other brands.

A tyre shop in Kununurra didnt recommend Coopers. He liked BFG, but their 18" AT tyres are apparently very scarce in Australia and at $600+ each.

Cheers, David.
    Cheers - David
    NS Exceed 2006 Auto, Petrol+LPG, UHF, rear polybags,M/T STZ's, My roof-rack, My cargo-storage, Thumper, ++ Avan Tayla; picasaweb.google.com/Dryzoned
    Replaced NH GLX Auto, Petrol of 15 years.
    My convoy name was beervan, but when it had all gone my callsign changed.... and has stayed that ever since.

Comment

• cliddell93
      • Feb 2012
      • Tassie

am running the bfg A/t on my gen 2 nh atm and they are great, they are bald as shit yet i still havent manged to get bogged with them, the bloke i bought the car off siadi he'd dont about 65000 on them, i've done about 10000 and theres probably another 5000 on then. my old man had the pirellies on his patrol, and did about 45000 on them before selling the vehicle. they showed barely any signs of wear after that much distance. also quite capable off road, however they never seen that life much :P
      Last edited by cliddell93; 04-06-12, 11:54 PM.

Comment

• Genesis
        • Sep 2008
        • Selby Vic

Well done 1WD

Another worthwhile addition here would be the FALKEN Wildpeak AT 01, new release and well priced and should be very good on road.

Trying to decide on a new set of A/T's presently myself.

Importantly for prospective purchasers A/T's generally appear to be rated as approx 70% onroad / 30% offroad.

In doing research it may be of benefit to other readers to note the following observations. At the risk of generalising, available tyres can be broken into 4 catagories :
        - H/T Highway Terrain - 80+% on road / <20% offroad
        - A/T All Terrain - 70% onroad / 30% offroad
        - aggressive A/T, M/T Hybrid - 50% onroad / 50% offroad
        - M/T Mud Terrain <30% onroad / 70+ offroad

Additionally another factor to consider with A/T tyres is that usually there are a choice of Load Ratings & Construction available (within the same tyre type) ie:
        - Passenger construction (lighter, more fuel efficient, less rolling resistance, quieter bue to rounded shoulders)
        - LT construction (more durable with stronger carcass, more belts squarer shoulders for more off road bite)

OEM Tyres as fitted to new vehicles tend to be passenger of construction and its these that fail the most in the bush.

Currently runnnig BFG AT KO 265*75*16 on NM Pajero. 95,000km without puncture or fault. They do require Rotation, balance and alignment (as do all Tyres) to prevent scalloping and Increased noise levels. Overall an excellent all round tyre. Worst characteristic = clag up easily, little grip on wet (clay type) High Country Trails. Best Characteristic = Durability & long Life. Other wise do everything modestly well.

As they Say it's horses for courses and tyres aren't just tyres, identify your requirements, do your homework, dont believe everything you hear and shop wisely.

For me, I've given up trying to find 'the perfect compromise tyre' (bit like trying to find the perfect women ) need to accept a compromise, for me I'll be saving up for 2 sets, an everyday highway/towing A/T set and a separate High Country set of M/T's. As for 2 sets of women....crikey.... then I'd really need to head for the hills
        1990 NG paddock tractor,
        2002 NM GLS auto, 2"Lift Lovells & Bilsteins, Impco Injected LPG, 265* 75 Dynapro AT & MT, Wildcat Headers, 2.5" exhaust, Overhead UHF & DVD Console
        Offroad Camper, 20' Glastron GS209 225 hp 5L V8

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2012
          • Maitland, NSW

Originally posted by Genesis View Post
          For me, I've given up trying to find 'the perfect compromise tyre' (bit like trying to find the perfect women ) need to accept a compromise, for me I'll be saving up for 2 sets, an everyday highway/towing A/T set and a separate High Country set of M/T's. As for 2 sets of women....crikey.... then I'd really need to head for the hills
          Finding one perfect woman has odds similar to winning the lotto let alone finding 2 haha

I'm doing the same, going for a good set for beach/highway use on factory alloys that i have and an aggressive M/T set and a set of good steelies to go with them, just need to convince the minister of finance why there worth forking out for
          97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
          97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• 1WD
            • Aug 2011
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Genesis View Post
            Another worthwhile addition here would be the FALKEN Wildpeak AT 01, new release and well priced and should be very good on road.
            Added the Falkens for ya! Keep the suggestions coming that I've forgotten.

Cheers,

Aaron.
            OLD: NW Ironbark Platinum - MM Nudge Bar with Lightforce Genesis Halogens. Bilstein/Lovells combo +50mm. Bushskinz bashplate and sump guard.

Comment

• mabble
              • Nov 2011
              • Perth

I dunno whether anyone runs the procomp At's??

Saw them in a shop the other day while hunting for a set of tyres myself.

cheers
              Ryan
              Last edited by mabble; 06-06-12, 02:09 AM.
              2004 np 3.2 did, factory bbar, rack, 265/75/r16 Micky ts , Lovells Billys 2 inch combo.

Wanted
              Driving lights (narva 225's, awning, chip)

Comment

• hinsch
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2010
                • Perth

tyre info

Thread well done thanks for taking the time to put a bit of useful info together, all you need is some good honest feedback on each brand and type.
                I like the bridgestone 694 but will have a look at the Maxxis 771 or bridgestone 697 for my next set, it may have to come down to the $$$$$
                NX 2016 GLS, Graphite, Nudge Bar, Pirelli Scorpion Plus.

Comment

• Patagonia
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2009
                  • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

Be carefull with the Scorpion ATR&#180;s there are 2 different tread patterns that differ on the shoulders. If you see the 2 photos in this thread the first one has open shoulders better for off roading and the second one has more "H/T" like shoulders. Haven&#180;t been able know how to differenciate them by codes or sizes so check before you buy!

This is really an excelent thread, thanks for all the effort! If you like tyo put some more I&#180;ve been looking with interest the Good Year Wrangler duratracs between AT and MT (but don&#180;t know if they are available there)

Also a friend has Continental Crosscontact AT and is very happy with them (don&#180;t know availability there either)

2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
                  Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
                  31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
                  2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

• SWB 89
                    • Feb 2012
                    • Toowoomba

Good idea for a thread 1WD. Do you want to start one for Mud tyres??

Comment

• Traveller43
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2011
                      • Perth, WA

Originally posted by dryzoned View Post
                      Interesting.

I'm going through the process at the moment, so it would be helpful to me if your comments/marketing blurb listed 18" support or not. Most don't.

FWIW, my Goodyear Silent Armours havent given any problems in 45,000 kms. Not sure how much longer they'll last though. If I can't get a 25% discount again, I'll be looking at other brands.

A tyre shop in Kununurra didnt recommend Coopers. He liked BFG, but their 18" AT tyres are apparently very scarce in Australia and at $600+ each.

Cheers, David.
                      David

I purchased the Hankook Dynapro's in 18" for $289 a tyre fitted. I have done about 15000km on them so far and they have been great. Quiet, sure footed in the dry and wet and excellent off road. They are definitely a value for money tyre against the BFG and Coopers pricing in 18".
                      Cheers

John

2010 MY11 NT RX Diesel Turbo: Smart Bar, Bush Skinz Bash Plates, Bush Skinz rock sliders, Ironman side awning, Cibie driving lights, rear LED work/reversing light, Black widow rear drawers, 2nd battery, UHF, cargo barrier, Airtec snorkel, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, poly airs, air compressor, Hankook RF10 265/65R18s, Rhino aero bars

Wish list: Rear diff locker, long range tank, 48L water tank in rear seat well, 3" exhaust, Rhino roof basket

Comment

• 1WD
                        • Aug 2011
                        • Adelaide

Updated with a couple more, Conti and Dicks.

Comment

• Shogun 2000
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2009
                          • Dodges Ferry, Hobart, Tassie

Originally posted by 1WD View Post
                          Updated with a couple more, Conti and Dicks.
                          very good 1wd, how about mickey thompson atz 4 rib? great tyre, had mine for 18 months and still got about 80% tread left.
                          2008 NS Platinum 17x8 alloys with 265x65x17 All Terrains. UHF, auxillary battery in 3rd row seat well, alloy bullbar. window tint. 2" lift. bonnet struts to do away with the rod. catch can, Hikeit X9 throttle controller.

Comment

• jhsg
                            • Oct 2011
                            • ACT

Great thread!! subscribed!

Quick question though - i have a NT Platinum and have heard you can get away with a few different size tyres... Anyone able to comment / provide a better explanation on this?

Cheers,

John
                            Last edited by jhsg; 16-06-12, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Tricky Dicky
                              • Oct 2011
                              • Mc Laren Vale SA

Hi 1wd and all,
                              I am on the market and very interested in the Yokohama Geolander, any comments or experience from anyone with these tyres?
                              Cheers Richard

NW 2013 Pajero VRX, Thule roof bars with kayak holder, ARB Awning, AT Maxtrex tyres, window tinting, tinted Pajero bonnet protector, tow bar, dash mat, ARB colour coded deluxe Bullbar, Icom 440 UHF under dash with controls on hand piece, GME antenna, Primus IQ brake controller, OME suspension lift 40mm, IPF 900XS Etreme spots, Safari snorkel, Diff breathers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X