Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Electrical / Radios

Electrical / Radios Discussion of electrical systems and accessories.

Old 26-01-20
Valued Member

Default Dual battery advice

Hello,
Im looking at setting up my dual battery in the NS.
I have taken the isolator out of my NP, a Projecta 150 amp, as well as the ARB battery tray. But i am now thinking of mounting the battery in the third row seat well.
I have bought 8 b&s cable as i was going to run this to the back for the fridge and a merit plug running off a fuse block.
But now as i am thinking about putting the battery in tree back, would that cable be big enough?
Thanks,
Andrew.

Sent from my CPH1611 using Tapatalk

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.
Old 30-01-20
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman4x4 View Post
Hello,
Im looking at setting up my dual battery in the NS.
I have taken the isolator out of my NP, a Projecta 150 amp, as well as the ARB battery tray. But i am now thinking of mounting the battery in the third row seat well.
I have bought 8 b&s cable as i was going to run this to the back for the fridge and a merit plug running off a fuse block.
But now as i am thinking about putting the battery in tree back, would that cable be big enough?
Thanks,
Andrew.

I used 8B+S to the rear distribution point in my gen 3. It was fine. The battery was under bonnet though with a VSR.

I run 6b+S to a dcdc and a battery in the rear of the NX and that is fine too.

There is not much difference between 6 and 8 ga. If using a dcdc, I reckon 8ga will be ok, but not if using a VSR.

Just my opinion.....

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 30-01-20
Valued Member

That's for the reply. Might get some bigger cable. But i did see in the bargins thread sparesbox is having a sale...... Maybe a dc to dc instead.
Cheees,
Andrew

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.
Old 30-01-20
Valued Member

Looking at one of these now.

https://frankiesautoelectrics.com.au...RoC11QQAvD_BwE
Thanks,
Andrew

Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.
Old 31-01-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Looking at one of these now.

https://frankiesautoelectrics.com.au...RoC11QQAvD_BwE
Thanks,
Andrew

I run 6 B&S ALL THE WAY FROM STARTER TO CAMPER VIA THE THIRD ROW SEATS AND HAVE 2 X DCDC CHARGERS( ONE IN TUB AND ONE IN CAMPER)...ALL WORK WELL. i HAVE A pROJECTA 25AMP DCDC CHARGER i DONT USE...YOU CAN HAVE IT FOR 100 DOLLARS PLUS POSTAGE....Lot better than the Thunder. It also has a built in MPPT solar regulator.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavouring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?

Telegraph X camper
Old 31-01-20

I think you'll find the 8 B&S to be quite sufficient. I have the 2nd battery under the bonnet but the Intervolt controller in the rear seat well. this means I have two 8 B&S cables running between engine bay and rear seat well. (I know everyone will say this is stupid but it works for me). Anyway, the system works perfectly with no appreciable voltage drop. The controller in the rear means its out of the heat of the engine bay. The battery under the bonnet means I can fit my 40L water tank in the rear seat well.
Old 31-01-20

This chap has some quite good info,

https://www.fridge-and-solar.net/dual_bat.htm

I run 8 B&S for a fridge & my camper has Redarc BCDC1240 (40Amp charger), I run 4B&S for that with 120AMP Anderson plug.

6B&S would be fine for less amperage say 25amps.

Cannot be underestimated how joints & fusing is approached in my opinion. For me it's Mechanical crimp & solder with glue lined heat shrink & bolt down Midi fuses where applicable.
Old 01-02-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
I run 6 B&S ALL THE WAY FROM STARTER TO CAMPER VIA THE THIRD ROW SEATS AND HAVE 2 X DCDC CHARGERS( ONE IN TUB AND ONE IN CAMPER)...ALL WORK WELL. i HAVE A pROJECTA 25AMP DCDC CHARGER i DONT USE...YOU CAN HAVE IT FOR 100 DOLLARS PLUS POSTAGE....Lot better than the Thunder. It also has a built in MPPT solar regulator.
Thanjs Dicko. What would postage to Kurunjang 3337 be?
Cheers,
Andrew.

Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.
Old 01-02-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Thanjs Dicko. What would postage to Kurunjang 3337 be?
Cheers,
Andrew.

Unsure. I will post it for $120 and include 2 x 50 amp genuine anderson pluigs as well ..for your wiring. You may not need the plugs but use them elsewhere.
Let me know asap as someone else is keen on the unit.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavouring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?

Telegraph X camper
Old 01-02-20
Valued Member

Im keen. I'll send you a pm.

Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.