Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-2 Pajero

Generation 4-2 Pajero NT model 2009 - 2011

Old 27-06-17

Default Exhaust Temp Gauge

Hello All,

I purchased my first Pajero approximately a month ago now and loving it. It's a 2011 NT Platinum. It's got a few bits and pieces already and I've been busy reading this great forum for the last few weeks. Amongst many other plans I'm now considering installing an exhaust temp gauge. I've completed a search but only found minimal posts on the subject. Can anyone offer advice on the subject and have any of you got such a gauge installed in your vehicles?

Thanks,

Benny.
2011 NT Pajero Platinum, Fullriver DC105 & Odyssey 35PC1400 batteries, MM alloy bar, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced transcooler, 2 micron secondary fuel filter, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors & DBA XP pads, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, H-Reese Compact brake controller, Uniden UH7760NB.
Old 27-06-17
Valued Member

Hey Benny,

I am trialling one at the moment, my own design, and so far it looks very promising. I hope to be offering these to members soon once I get the design finalised and have made sure there are no issues.
I believe that an EGT gauge is the essential equipment on any turbo diesel especially.
Keep in mind this is a prototype and the finish will be very different on the final product:
IMG_2703.jpg
'08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!
Old 27-06-17
Valued Member

I have only ever seen one guy with an exhaust pyro (exhaust temp gauge). I don't have one. The one I saw was installed by drilling a hole in the exhaust manifold somewhere near the turbo and locating the readout where the card holder goes in the cabin

I think you will find pyros are not common as the Pajero's don't really need them. Unlike some other brands of 4WD's the ECU will shut the engine down if the exhaust temp gets to high.

Hope this helps
2010 NT DiD Platinum, MM tow bar, Red Arc electric brake controller, ARB Delux bullbar, Ultimate HD suspension and shocks, Engineers cert for GVM upgrade, Airtech snorkle, Cooper ST Maxx, 2nd Battery+ extra sockets, catch can, intercooler/ sump/ transmission guard, scan guage II, Hid driving lights, Ironman awning, daytime driving lights + other little bits
Old 27-06-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
I have only ever seen one guy with an exhaust pyro (exhaust temp gauge). I don't have one. The one I saw was installed by drilling a hole in the exhaust manifold somewhere near the turbo and locating the readout where the card holder goes in the cabin

I think you will find pyros are not common as the Pajero's don't really need them. Unlike some other brands of 4WD's the ECU will shut the engine down if the exhaust temp gets to high.

Hope this helps
How does the ECU measure the EGT? Just curious as i'd love to make use of a factory sensor output but am not aware of one. Certainly not in my manual NS without DPF....so no dpf temp sensor.
Old 27-06-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
Unlike some other brands of 4WD's the ECU will shut the engine down if the exhaust temp gets to high.
I'm pretty certain the factory ECU does not measure EGT's, and even if it did it doesn't intervene in the functioning of the engine.

I've replaced the factory exhaust on a couple of 3.2 Pajeros and they aren't fitted with an exhaust pyrometer from the factory.

I ran a digital EGT in my NP Paj and will likely install one in my NW. It's just another useful tool that can be used to measure engine operating parameters.
Old 27-06-17
Valued Member

I have one. It's sitting in the cupboard with all the other yet to be fitted mods.
Old 27-06-17
Valued Member

My pyro is mounted and cabled through the firewall. Just need to decide on a permanent place for the readout . . . .
Old 27-06-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbrown View Post
My pyro is mounted and cabled through the firewall. Just need to decide on a permanent place for the readout . . . .
See above.. I also have another design in the wings that will relocate the hazard light switch to the LHS blank, and utilise the vacated space for an EGT readout. :-)
Tried a prototype in the LHS blank but too hard to see due to the angle from the driver's location.
Old 27-06-17

Thanks for the responses. I do like the look of this unit from Redarc although it isn't cheap.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REDARC-52...53.m1438.l2649

I just feel when summer gets here and I'm either towing or hitting the sand it would be good to monitor how hard the engine is working and if I should back off a bit. I'm all for improved reliability and looking after my vehicle.

Benny.
2011 NT Pajero Platinum, Fullriver DC105 & Odyssey 35PC1400 batteries, MM alloy bar, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced transcooler, 2 micron secondary fuel filter, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors & DBA XP pads, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, H-Reese Compact brake controller, Uniden UH7760NB.
Old 27-06-17
Valued Member

Save yourself the money and get a Auberins gauge:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=230

Very accurate and reliable.