Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 12-08-11

Default Strut / Coil spacers?

Hey Guys and Girls,

Need some assistance lifting the front end approx 30mm.

I have KINGS springs and very happy with the ride, just want some more front end clearance and to sit more level then nose down attitude.

Has anyone done a strut spacer, or used the lovell's spacer supplied with there strut and notice an improvement?

Have thought of getting the max lift from KINGS however I don't need spare front coils lying around.

Also thought about getting spacer machined up, would anyone have a drawing of the strut top or an old one to measure?

Spacer would only be 15mm thick to get a 30mm lift, something to do with geometry!!!!!

PS: Have found this forum great for many jobs done so far to the NP Did - Thanks to all those that contribute photo's and idea's.
2004 NP Did, 2.5 inch Hi Flow cat and centre muffler, Kings 40mm Springs/Oztec Struts, Browns Intercooler Guard, Custom 3mm Sump &Transmission Guard, Great Kumho KL78 245/75 A/T's & 235/85 Hankook Muds. Red Arc Dual Battery Isolator, Narva 225 Ultima, Extended Diff's and Tranny breathers, DIY Sliders & Proud.
Old 13-08-11
Valued Member

i have noticed on Ebay Aust under Mitsubishi / steering susspension there is a spacer available to suit your needs. can,t recall the price but these would save you alot of mucking around trying to make a set up etc, they are Blue anodized in colour. have a look and see what you reacon.
NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.
Old 13-08-11
Valued Member

I think a new pair of springs would be cheaper/better than spacers..

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.
Old 13-08-11
Valued Member

are you talking spring spacer or shoch spacer? my Lovells gas legend shocks came with a spacer which i dont use. apparently they are a good way of getting lift from SD 50mm lift Lovel springs, not needed on the HD 50mm lift (push it up too far apparently).

Happy to post measure for size if you want to fabricate, or send them to you
Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!
Old 13-08-11

Thanks AJC,

Do you remember what those Lovell struts set you back, have not discounted replacing struts with Lovells to get that extra lift. Will proberly enquire about pricing on Monday from some local guys.

Let me know what you would like for your spacers if happy to sell them.

How do you find the Lovells? Currently running OEM with plenty of klm's on them but happy with ride quality.

Cheers, Rodney.
2004 NP Did, 2.5 inch Hi Flow cat and centre muffler, Kings 40mm Springs/Oztec Struts, Browns Intercooler Guard, Custom 3mm Sump &Transmission Guard, Great Kumho KL78 245/75 A/T's & 235/85 Hankook Muds. Red Arc Dual Battery Isolator, Narva 225 Ultima, Extended Diff's and Tranny breathers, DIY Sliders & Proud.
Old 14-08-11
Valued Member

Bushskinz sold me the front strust, rear shocks an 4 springs and polyairbags for around 1150..i can't recall the breakdown..check the website...bushskinz.com.au; i'll see if i can find the spacers and will let you know.
Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!

Last edited by AJC; 23-08-11 at 05:49 PM.
Old 23-08-11
Valued Member

I would go for a new front setup. i went with the bushskinz package and was very happy with it. Also the front strut can be adjusted with a circlip (just slide the spring perch up and you will fing 2 positions the perch can sit in) as i did to get the front to sit level with rear.
Cool Silver 09 VRX, tinted glass all around, 2 inch HD lovells, bilsteins, poly airbags, Airtek snorkel, dual battery, ARB deluxe winch bar, Lightforce 240's, Warn winch, Bushskinz full bash plates, UHF, scangauge, Bogaard turbo timer, towbar, 65 ltr brown davis fuel tank, on board ARB compressor + outlets, 50A anderson on towbar, rear diff lock-traction control modification, diff breathers, in-dash battery voltmeters, EGR blank, hacked navman, Cooper AT3's, Stebel horns.
Old 28-08-11

Strut / Coil spacers installed today.

For those interested in some DIY suspension mods.

I was lucky our local wreckers has a front strut assy to measure up for my strut spacer install.

ID - 85mm, OD - 135mm, Point to Point of Triangle - 95mm

What I found was a 50mm Backing Flange used on PE Poly Pipe was the perfect size and thickness ( just what was available where I work luckily ). 10mm thick and almost perfect size and fits without machining. ID - 62mm, OD- 135mm.
Most Irrigations shop should carry these in stock.

So follow the method of a strut replacement except don't require to remove the strut or take the disk brakes off.

Just enough thread spare on the three strut plate bolts to cater for this. A 10mm plate gives 20mm lift and confirmed with measurements.

Rear coil spacers installed - 20mm Cruiser 80 series fronts as learnt from other posts here. Removed the top coil rubber and installed spacer without dramas. It does take some pressure to get the lower control arm connected again.

Lower spring rubbers were shot, will get suspension shop to install new when wheel align carried out.

Before Measures - Front L 740, R 745
After 760, 765

Before Rear L 785, R 785
After 810, 810

Rear may come up about 10mm more when lower spring rubbers installed.

Will running such rear height cause me any dramas? Any one running around the 810mm rim to guard on 16inch rims. It does sits a little rear high however when camper and gear loaded should be perfect.
Old 29-08-11
Valued Member

Quote:
Will running such rear height cause me any dramas? Any one running around the 810mm rim to guard on 16inch rims.
I run 3" lift Lovells all round + the cruiser spacers in the rear with no probs so you should be good.

Thanks for sharing the info on the D.I.Y strut spacers, excellent info

Would you have any pics of this backing flange thing? I know nothing about plumbing
02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?feature=mhee
Old 29-08-11

Forgot to mention you are required to Drill the three holes in the steel spacer, the four holes allready drilled are not used. Point to point of 95mm and 12mm drill bit.

Will try to attach photo of flange and installed item. Bit of a hazzy picture as phone cam.

You can just see the spacer sitting on top of the black strut plate! Has a small shiny piece as galvanized.

Next mod when these shockies pack it in, will see some lovells struts installed with the 10mm spacers so I can raise the front up another 20mm.

That with some larger tyres of 235/85 should see a clearance of 300mm under front crossmember. Any ones used this size tyre? Happy with the 245/75 as far as traction and overall driving, just when replacment time comes and that extended holiday the extra height and some black stuff to try and fill the guards would be nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27082011.jpg (22.0 KB, 386 views)
File Type: jpg 29082011.jpg (10.4 KB, 372 views)