Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 08-06-11
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver
Thumbs up How to fix dust the non mma way

I've had troubles with cabin dust (like many others) and just never got around to fixing it till today. Below is an easy mod to perform to help with cabin dust. My door seals do not appear to be the issue but I recall Wrex writing about the breathing flaps. They are found below the rear lights on both sides and consist of two rubber flaps that raise when the cabin is pressurised. Unfortunately, there is not enough weight on these and they can raise whilst driving letting the dreaded dust in. Here's what I did to fix this.

First of all remove your tail lights. Undo 3 screws The one near the wheel is under the guard. You can see the white frame of the flaps in-situ.

In my case, my RHS lower flap had tucked underneath the top flap. No wonder I had a dust issue. The frame clips away from the parent metal by two clips either side. A gentle sideways push/pull should release it. Unclip the inside edge first. Then both pulling the bumper out the way and simultaneously unclipping the outside edge of the frame, you will have it out of its aperture

To get it out of the vehicle for remedial work, you need to remove the rear bumper lights. With a bit of fitting a square peg into a round hole, you will finally have it out. Note my bottom flap neatly stuck to the top one.

The remedial action I took was to apply some adhesive as per the red line above. This will stop the flap from lifting, but still allow the upper half to move, thus still allowing positive air escape from the vehicle, albeit at a far slower rate. I also went a bit further and plugged the holes in the vehicle with air filtration media. Then I duct taped the same material to the outside of the flap.

And below is the unit back in place. A leisurely hours work over a beer should you wish to do so. If this doesn't fix my dust, nothing will

Cheers,

Shane.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 08-06-11
Valued Member

Nice work Shane, thanks for the detailed images too. It would be good to hear how it goes on your first dusty trip.
NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.
Old 10-06-11

thanks! i will be doing this i have huge amounts of dust in my car
ARB Bullbar, GME UHF, Narva 225s, 2" Lift (lovells) HD Front EHD Rear, Snorkel, Waeco CF50, ARB Awning, Rhino Racks, Pajero Club Stickers, Rear Aux Battery (Excide Stowaway ST27DC105), Maxtrax, Homemade roof basket, LED camp lights, Red Arc Low Coolant Alarm, Drop down table, Fishing Rod Holder, Rooftop Water Storage, Tigerz 11 winch, Bushskinz Bashplates, Rear Storage, Dual Tyre Carrier
Old 10-06-11
Valued Member

Send a message via Skype™ to amr75wcr

Top job Shane i should have done the same when the rear bar mod was done. Oh well there is enought of this geat countrry inside already a little bit moe won't hurt.
04 NP DID GLX ARB Steel Bullbar 2" ARB/King Springs, Billies, Warn Winch, Rhino Track Mount Racks, Rola Basket, Rallye 4000 HID, UHF, Reverse camera, Custom Console, Fridge Slide and Rear Door Table, DVD Screen, 40lt Engel, Dual Battery Sytem with Auto Isolator, Cargo Barrier, polaris gps, Sat Phone, BFG A/Ts, Foxwing awning, ARB Locker, Bush Skinz sliders $ inter plate, 3" exhaust chip, custom bar & twin tyres

And a PB Challenger with a list if goodies getting as long as the Paj
Old 13-06-11

Guys,

It is great that some of you are fixing the dust issue yourselves 'BUT' it is a fix that Mitz will fix under warranty as it is a problem for them to do.

Anyone with a dust issue and I mean anyone that actually takes their Paj off the black stuff onto the red dust in outback Aust, then get Mitz to fix the issue for free. I have have seen some totally dust trashed Paj's in central Aust with the owners pissed off when they saw mine not affected at all on the same roads.

Like I say if there is a known issue with a diff do you fix it yourself or do you get Mitz to fix it at no cost to you !!!!

11 NT DID Auto, Bushskinz Intercooler Plate, Brown Davis Sump & Trans Steel Plates, ARB Colour Coded Bar, Light Force Lights, GME Radios fixed and handheld, SME Draws, Waeco Fridge, Dual Batteries, Milford Barrier, BFG ATR's.
Old 13-06-11

Shane,

Your fix will work if my experience with the same problem is any guide.

Discovered the same problem (RHS lower flap stuck under the upper) last Xmas. Did not go to as much trouble as you to fix it. Simply put a pea sized drop of selleys Allclear in the centre of the lower edge of both flaps on both sides (allows the corners to flap).
A couple of hundred Ks on the roads around Finke in the last couple of weeks and NO Dust inside.

At the time, I had taken the rear trim out of the wagon to clean the dust out (lots on the RHS under the trim) and to try to work out where the dust was getting in before finding the flap stuck. If you have had heaps of dust it might be worth doing same as it might be hard to tell how successful your efforts have been.

BTW the previous owner of mine had had the MMA "dust fix" done.

Cheers,
Doug.
Old 13-06-11
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBO View Post
Guys,

It is great that some of you are fixing the dust issue yourselves 'BUT' it is a fix that Mitz will fix under warranty as it is a problem for them to do.

Anyone with a dust issue and I mean anyone that actually takes their Paj off the black stuff onto the red dust in outback Aust, then get Mitz to fix the issue for free. I have have seen some totally dust trashed Paj's in central Aust with the owners pissed off when they saw mine not affected at all on the same roads.

Like I say if there is a known issue with a diff do you fix it yourself or do you get Mitz to fix it at no cost to you !!!!
Which is good info to share, however if your outa warranty or 2nd owner etc, you're snookered. Hence why I fixed myself and produced the thread for others that may be forced to look into it themselves. I would love to have MMA supply me shafts for the known diff issue, I even told them I would supply the labour. And guess what....They are prepared to put my family at risk in remote locations with a dislocated companion shaft at the sake of me trying to be pro-active by meeting them half way on repairing their design flaw

So if your under warranty, "try" to get them to fix it for free. If your not and want to save some dollars, this thread may just be of benefit to some.

Shane.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 14-06-11
Valued Member

Thanks Shane...another chore for me to do!

Well done.
Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!
Old 18-08-11
Administrator

I have just done mine too.. never have had trouble to the last trip & got a little more dust in than the normal open & close door expected..
Sure enough the 1 on the drivers side had sucked in...

So thanks Shane.. clad I read this before doing the Tanami & Gibb River Rds in a few weeks..

Gus.

How to get Forum Decals
Old 27-04-12
Valued Member

So I was cleaning out my car last week and couldn't believe the amount of dust in the cabin.

Shane, how is the dust scenario in the Paj after this mod, seeing as it has been some time now?