Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bits and Pieces

Bits and Pieces Whatever does not fit into the other catergories.

Old 09-02-20
Valued Member

An important thing not brought up was the fact that they had a window open. If the car had gone into the water with windows closed, they would not have been able to open them and they would not get out the doors either until the car filled with water and equalised the pressures inside and out.
Old 09-02-20
Valued Member

Been living in outer western Sydney fo 8 years. This afternoon off to the local shopping centre for a coffee and chat. Went through 300mm of water and around 50 metres long over the road. Had never seen water there before but I knew the road as i drive it twice a day.

Coming back 1 1/2 hours later the body of water had increased to 100 metres in length.

Didn't risk it and took a detour.

Not worth the drama.
Old 10-02-20
Valued Member

This happened near where I live – the same creek runs through our property. Oh, and it is nowhere near Nimbin, as mentioned in the report.

As you can see from the “Google” photo I’ve attached, there is a big drop off the side where her car went down and the pressure of the water going over there would have been tremendous.

If she’d got out and tried walking into the water before crossing, she should have realized it wasn’t a good idea – you can see from the video of them walking out, the level of the water was up to their chests.

I brought our cattle across the creek earlier to get them up off the flat. The crossing I used (on our property) had water over the top of my rubber boot, so it was about 600mm. deep – that wasn’t the problem, it was the force of the current that presented a danger and I would have been hesitant about driving through, however the stockman with me drove his ute across without any problems.

The councils now seem to get jumpy very easily and start blocking-off roads – yet the one in this incident wasn’t closed. Most of the time they start closing very early when it is still possible to get through. We went into town on Friday (I think this incident happened on Saturday) and the websites, including the local newspaper, said the road to town was closed. We’ve lived here for the best part of 50 years and you get to know where will be flooded by the levels of the water in the paddocks and the creek. We though we’d get through ok, and when we drove in, there was no indication that the water had been anywhere near the sides of the road, so I don’t know where they got their information. The area where this lady was heading has a lot of new homes and people who have migrated from the city live there. Local experienced knowledge is what is needed in flood time and many of the imports probably lack this.

The big danger in driving through water, besides the current and the depth, is that you can’t see where you’re going, and imagine if that woman had been a bit off course and driven over a bit to the side where the big drop-off is – they would probably both be dead.

You just can’t barrel off into flooded water without investigating. Thinking back, I’ve been very lucky and got away with driving through a lot of flood water when I was younger – not in 4WDs either – just sedans. Nowadays I’m much more careful and tend to let discretion be the better part of valor.

Geoff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bh road.jpg (131.3 KB, 43 views)
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 10-02-20
Valued Member

Its not only the depth and current. How do you know that what was once a small pot hole has not now become a very large pothole with deep sides and breaking up more and more as the water gets faster? You see photos of roads that have only had 500mm of water over them but the shoulders have collapsed leaving dangerous drop offs that cannot be seen in dirty water flow.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavouring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?

Telegraph X camper
Old 10-02-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
Its not only the depth and current. How do you know that what was once a small pot hole has not now become a very large pothole with deep sides and breaking up more and more as the water gets faster? You see photos of roads that have only had 500mm of water over them but the shoulders have collapsed leaving dangerous drop offs that cannot be seen in dirty water flow.
That's exactly right Dicko - that's why I was very wary about driving over the crossing on our flat the other day - I know what's there and it could have been eroded.

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 12-02-20

Default Don't drive through floodwater

Look at the last picture, "I've a snorkel so I'm good to go".
It is simply mind blowing.

The Collaroy Aphrodite, what do you thing the foam is she is bathing in?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ney-TODAY.html
Old 13-02-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
Look at the last picture, "I've a snorkel so I'm good to go".
It is simply mind blowing.

The Collaroy Aphrodite, what do you thing the foam is she is bathing in?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ney-TODAY.html

Old 13-02-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHendo View Post
This happened near where I live – the same creek runs through our property. Oh, and it is nowhere near Nimbin, as mentioned in the report.

As you can see from the “Google” photo I’ve attached, there is a big drop off the side where her car went down and the pressure of the water going over there would have been tremendous.

If she’d got out and tried walking into the water before crossing, she should have realized it wasn’t a good idea – you can see from the video of them walking out, the level of the water was up to their chests.

I brought our cattle across the creek earlier to get them up off the flat. The crossing I used (on our property) had water over the top of my rubber boot, so it was about 600mm. deep – that wasn’t the problem, it was the force of the current that presented a danger and I would have been hesitant about driving through, however the stockman with me drove his ute across without any problems.

The councils now seem to get jumpy very easily and start blocking-off roads – yet the one in this incident wasn’t closed. Most of the time they start closing very early when it is still possible to get through. We went into town on Friday (I think this incident happened on Saturday) and the websites, including the local newspaper, said the road to town was closed. We’ve lived here for the best part of 50 years and you get to know where will be flooded by the levels of the water in the paddocks and the creek. We though we’d get through ok, and when we drove in, there was no indication that the water had been anywhere near the sides of the road, so I don’t know where they got their information. The area where this lady was heading has a lot of new homes and people who have migrated from the city live there. Local experienced knowledge is what is needed in flood time and many of the imports probably lack this.

The big danger in driving through water, besides the current and the depth, is that you can’t see where you’re going, and imagine if that woman had been a bit off course and driven over a bit to the side where the big drop-off is – they would probably both be dead.

You just can’t barrel off into flooded water without investigating. Thinking back, I’ve been very lucky and got away with driving through a lot of flood water when I was younger – not in 4WDs either – just sedans. Nowadays I’m much more careful and tend to let discretion be the better part of valor.

Geoff
Common sense is required is the way I see it.
The water pressure from flowing water with a bit of depth & your gonski.
Glorious drop of rain I must add