Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-1 Pajero

Generation 4-1 Pajero NS Model 2006 - 2009

Old 01-02-20

Default NS Pajero suspension knock

Hi all,

I have a 2008 NS Pajero 3.2. I have a slight knocking noise which sounds like it's coming from the front right somewhere. I removed wheel today to suss it out and couldn't find anything that looked flogged out or loose when i tried to move it. there was no movement in the wheel when rocked either.

I'm thinking its one of the ball joints but i am no expert. Can anyone confirm this or recommend something else i should look towards/

Are the aftermarket ball joints any good or am i better off getting Mitsubishi ones?

Previously Owned
- 1992 NH 2.5L TD - Bullbar, Winch, Roof basket, UHF, AT tyres
Old 01-02-20

How many k's? And how many on the bushes if known?
Old 01-02-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky1e View Post
How many k's? And how many on the bushes if known?
its got 270,000 on it and i have no idea whats been done in the past. i've only owned it for a couple of months

Previously Owned
Old 01-02-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2freeq View Post
its got 270,000 on it and i have no idea whats been done in the past. i've only owned it for a couple of months
I'd suggest looking at your bushes and strut top bearings first.

My NS had a good knock in the front end, I've literally replaced everything except for sway bar bushes and it's still there, however nowhere near as bad as it was. Ended up having to cut out and replace 4 camber adjust bolts/nuts.

Good luck!
Old 01-02-20

When do you hear the knocks? I've got an NS with similar Kms and I get the knocks when going over those small short speed bumps.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonee View Post
When do you hear the knocks? I've got an NS with similar Kms and I get the knocks when going over those small short speed bumps.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk
i hear them mostly between 50 - 80kph with little bumps in the road when cruising or or slowing down. theres no knock over speed humps etc. Not sure if there is a knock on hwy at 100kph as i cant hear it over the tyres.

Previously Owned
Old 03-02-20

Hi ,
i've a knock too , on my NS , after finding and finding , noise comme from my left caliper .

I have to change these :

https://partsouq.com/tesseract/asset...i/MR407427.jpg

https://partsouq.com/tesseract/asset...i/MR407084.jpg

https://partsouq.com/tesseract/asset...MR407680-1.jpg
Old 03-02-20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2freeq View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2008 NS Pajero 3.2. I have a slight knocking noise which sounds like it's coming from the front right somewhere. I removed wheel today to suss it out and couldn't find anything that looked flogged out or loose when i tried to move it. there was no movement in the wheel when rocked either.

I'm thinking its one of the ball joints but i am no expert. Can anyone confirm this or recommend something else i should look towards/

Are the aftermarket ball joints any good or am i better off getting Mitsubishi ones?
It is extremely difficult to determine the condition of the suspension bushes when the wheels of the vehicle are off the ground as the coil springs preload the suspension arms. Even with the vehicle weight on the ground it is difficult to determine the condition of the suspension bushes by rocking a wheel because of the friction between the tyre and the ground, unless the wheels are on pivoting wheel alignment plates or on a set of grease plates, then these reduce the turning resistance and you are more likely the see and or feel worn bushes.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 1 Day Ago

You mention is happens over small bumps on the road so it's likely an up and down movement causing it. Id say it's the ball joints. Its worse on hot days for some reason as I think it reduces the viscosity of the grease in the joint. Get someone to shake the wheel while you hold the ball joints. Or alternatively rock the car.