Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 19-01-20
Valued Member

I wonder if the buy-back only applies to registered Cars... If not I know where 2 NL's with airbags are and I could make some good $$ on-selling them to MM...

I really hope you Fellas that are caught up in this have a happy outcome and can keep them on the road...
I feel that there should be another option than JUST a buy-back as you are being forced into a corner with no Escape..(no pun intended)

Im also curious as what 'Guide' they will use to establish the buy-back amount.. As when I had my little prang, the Insurance Co said My NL was worth $3900... But I got this bumped up to $6000 with the 'Improvements' fitted to it..

Gemster...
97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ARB bar, Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, Terrain Tamer Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, 3 core radiator, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps, and a New Heart to come
..and No Airbags. We die like real Men
Old 19-01-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumagoo View Post
Queensland is ok as of their guides in 2017 (cant link as its a PDF download only)

but it states here v> It is acceptable to replace a vehicle’s steering wheel without specific approval, provided the replacement steering wheel
does not affect compliance with ADR 10 (after 1970) and ADR 69 (after June 1995). Unless a steering wheel is marked or
has accompanying information indicating it has been tested to the appropriate ADR, it must not be used as a replacement.
In addition, for vehicles required to comply with ADR 69, the steering wheel assembly must be identical to one fitted as an Minor Modifications – VSI G19.7 - 6 -
option to the same model by the vehicle manufacturer, or alternatively, a steering wheel that has been certified by the
replacement wheel manufacturer as a complying wheel for the specific make and model may be used.
Replacement steering wheels should not be less than 330mm in diameter. If the original steering wheel was designed with
a recessed or padded hub, the replacement wheel should be of a similar design.

Thank God for that...I will go ahead and change to a non airbag steering wheel next week.
XSWAT 1998 NL GL, 3.5L MANUAL, 2" OME 50 mm Lift, MAXXIS 751 33X12.5R15 on CSA N26 RIMS with -11 OFFSET, UNIDEN UHF, NARVA 175 SPOTTIES, AIRCON & RADIO/CD,......CONVERTED to SEVEN SEATER, Manual Hubs (ex tritton)
1990 NG SWB 2.5 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, 33s, LIGHT BAR, GEN 2 IDLER & PITMAN ARMS. PLANS - Dual Battery, GEN2 front brake calipers.
1999 NL SWB 2.8 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, ARB BULLBAR, DUAL BATTERY, SPOTTIES.
2016 MY16 PAJERO GLX AUTO DID GRAPHITE COLOR STOCK
Old 19-01-20
Valued Member

stumagoo.
Your doing well, almost up to where I am

Fact 1
ADR10 applied to vehicles manufactured after 1988 but did not apply to off road passenger vehicles class MC.
Fact2
ADR 69 Applied to off road passenger vehicles MC BUT ONLY FOR "NEW MODELS" from 1/1998!
As NLs were first produced in 1997 it made them a "current model" so this ADR does not apply. But this was still only a basic crash test and air bags were not required on any vehicle for it to pass.
Fact3
ADR 73 Applied to passenger cars only!(and only from 2000) Off road vehicles were exempt and was the first ADR that incorporated wording with regards the requirements for manufacturers that did fit air bags to there cars. It was NOT an ADR that made airbags mandatory. There still isn't one.

Putting it basically the MMAL NL Pajero built between 1997 and 2000 did NOT require airbags to meet any applicable ADR's at the time of manufacture.

That's the facts as can be checked by anyone looking on the Australian Government Federal Register of Legislation._
__________________________________________________ ________________

I even read into it that the NL did not have to meet ANY frontal impact ADR's at all (they were either not applicable or exempt)

Now my interpretation (and what I have sent to the ACCC) is that if an NL pajero that had the SRS airbag option fitted has them removed and any replaced parts are from the equivalent model that did not have the SRS airbag option that vehicle would still meet the required ADR's for its date of manufacture.
(Just like you have done stumagoo)

Now, that is how I have worded it for the bureaucrats but reading the relevant ADR's CLOSELY not only is removing the SRS airbags fully legal the fact is there there were NO ADR's that covered NL Pajeros with regards frontal impact between 1997 and 2000.

I think the answer is to simply remove the SRS air bag from the drivers side, (you could fit a non airbag wheel of any kind, as long as it met AS), disconnect the passengers side airbag, just put a bit of tape or a sticker over the SRS writing, remove the SRS globe and present their car to a MMAL dealer and simply state that "This car does not have an air bag fitted and I wish to have my vehicle VIN removed from the recall list.

If nobody else wants to try I will be later next week....... if I am not in surgery and if I am this will be a low priority as I wont be allowed to drive for at least 4 weeks.)

Tom
2008 Mercedes W211 e280 CDI sport
2003 Ford Transit

Last edited by tomwithannl; 19-01-20 at 05:14 PM.
Old 19-01-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemster View Post
I wonder if the buy-back only applies to registered Cars... If not I know where 2 NL's with airbags are and I could make some good $$ on-selling them to MM...

I really hope you Fellas that are caught up in this have a happy outcome and can keep them on the road...
I feel that there should be another option than JUST a buy-back as you are being forced into a corner with no Escape..(no pun intended)

Im also curious as what 'Guide' they will use to establish the buy-back amount.. As when I had my little prang, the Insurance Co said My NL was worth $3900... But I got this bumped up to $6000 with the 'Improvements' fitted to it..

Gemster...
Yes, they have to be registered (and there is a short time for unregistered) and the starting point is the market value. They usually use red book as a guide. There is negotiation depending on condition. I don't think it will come to this!

Tom
2008 Mercedes W211 e280 CDI sport
2003 Ford Transit
Old 19-01-20
Valued Member

ADR do not demand a drivers airbag in MC vehicles - that is 4x4's - (not sure about others) Landrover Discos met ADR69 with no airbags as late as 2016 --- 7x series landcruisers met the impact rules until a similar time and I suspect both could after this but airbags are being used now to not just meet ADR's but to improve ancap ratings for ease of sales

.... and 1990 Nissan Z32 300zx for on road shenanigans
Old 19-01-20
Valued Member

If “no airbag” is an option, I’m kind of leaning towards the “im not the most keen” on that though.

Although I’m somewhat willing to risk myself and take the chance that it’s not going to be my fault running into something; it’s the other idiots on the road where I might not have the choice and end up hitting them/something. And that’s where I want airbags for me and my passenger (or someone else driving my car).

Happy to drive around myself, not planning to hit anyone/anything by my own doing; but not happy to risk myself and others because of other idiots.

I’m being pessimistic and getting prepared to say goodbye to my NLs
I just hope there’s a suitable solution as I don’t want to say goodbye!

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Last edited by Alex86; 19-01-20 at 06:06 PM.
Old 19-01-20

The Pajero that I have 1999 NL was the first vehicle I have owned that had air bags fitted, I have driven for the past 60 years with a lot less safety features and many of those were also before seat belts and I have not had any accidents.

I would be very happy to remove the airbags and get on with the rest of my life, I have spent many hours trying to work out what sort of replacement I can afford being a Pensioner and the vehicle that I have suits me fine and looks a lot better than some of the newer ones with all the driver assistant electronics and other bits that I do not need.I learnt to drive a car by looking at what is going on in my vicinity, not by listening to beeps or whatever to tell me there is a car alongside in the other lane.

Graham
Old 19-01-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lateagain View Post

I would be very happy to remove the airbags and get on with the rest of my life, I have spent many hours trying to work out what sort of replacement I can afford being a Pensioner and the vehicle that I have suits me fine and looks a lot better than some of the newer ones with all the driver assistant electronics and other bits that I do not need.I learnt to drive a car by looking at what is going on in my vicinity, not by listening to beeps or whatever to tell me there is a car alongside in the other lane.

Graham

this is the core of the problem for one reason or another we drive these 4x4's be it price or passion

I never expected to sell my Pajero and recoup my costs in building it.... I ntended to get the value in teh use I expected to get over the next 5-10 years or so or even longer.... I am that sort of owner....

whatever they offer to give me for it I cant see it being enough to get a vehicle to the standard this is at. both mechanically and mods wise....

Old 19-01-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumagoo View Post
for those interested --- I am trying very hard to find where these quotes came from but I am struggling and as the post is 8 years old it is likely they could have been superceded and no longer appllicable...

Optional Airbag in Vehicle Required to Meet ADR 69/..
If a vehicle was required to meet ADR 69/.. and it was originally fitted with an airbag that was optional equipment on that particular model or variant, the airbag need not be present, complete or operational provided the vehicle is fitted with all equipment (eg steering wheel, steering column, seat belts) that would have been fitted had the vehicle been originally manufactured without the airbag; i.e. the vehicle must be shown to still comply with the requirements of ADR 69/..
Optional Drivers Airbag in Vehicle Not Required to Meet ADR 69/..
For a vehicle not required to meet ADR 69/.. and originally fitted with a driver’s airbag that was optional equipment, it need not be present, complete or operational provided the impact energy absorption characteristics of the steering wheel and steering column are equivalent to those of the non-airbag variant; i.e. the vehicle must comply with the requirements of ADR 10/..
Optional Passenger Airbag in Vehicle Not Required to meet ADR 69/..
For a vehicle not required to meet ADR 69/.. and originally fitted with a passenger airbag that was optional equipment, it need not be present, complete or operational.
Bummer about being Registered I was hoping for a quick $$...

I think you will find that Federal Law will over-ride State Law...
I found lots of things like that when I built My V8 Capri here in QLD..

Time for a Class Action I say...

Welcome aboard 2Lateagain... wink..
Gemster
97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ARB bar, Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, Terrain Tamer Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, 3 core radiator, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps, and a New Heart to come
..and No Airbags. We die like real Men

Last edited by gemster; 19-01-20 at 09:25 PM.
Old 19-01-20
Valued Member

when it comes to vehicle mods state laws overide federal - thats one of the issues going inter state with heavily modded vehicles - as long as the sate law complies with or is stricter than federal then its acceptable at a federal level