Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 15-01-20
Valued Member

Default Recall. Today 9.03am

This was through the ACCC web site that directs to MMAL.
Note that this is on a MMAL letter head and asks that you contact your local dealer to have the matter rectified. Guess what? My local dealer (over an hour away) told me that my vehicle doesn't appear on any recall and I would have to bring the vehicle in so they could check the VIN. So I called MMAL and was told that they are not yet sure what they are doing about the problem. All they said was that I could keep driving the Pajero until they contacted me with an official recall letter telling me how they will rectify the fault. And at this time A. They are still unsure if the airbags will have to be replaced???as no Mitsubishi Nardi airback has faulted. B. If it goes further they don't know if the would replace the part or buy back the vehicle.
To clarify they were unaware that the ACCC had put this up on their web site.
We are putting our lives in these peoples hands.
2008 Mercedes W211 e280 CDI sport
2003 Ford Transit
Old 15-01-20
Valued Member

I can just imagine that MM will have to train the young ones on how to replace airbags in an NL... I also think that pulling the fuse to disable the Air-bags is illegal...

Man im so happy I don't have airbags... I looked at several NL's before I looked at Geopaj's, and that was one of the first things He told me was No Airbags... I cannot see how this Buy-back is going to work on a 20yr old car... Will they work on 'Market Value' ?.... If so I can see some arguments happening...

Gemster....
97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ARB bar, Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, Terrain Tamer Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, 3 core radiator, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps, and a New Heart to come
..and No Airbags. We die like real Men

Last edited by gemster; 15-01-20 at 10:46 AM.
Old 15-01-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemster View Post
I can just imagine that MM will have to train the young ones on how to replace airbags in an NL...

Gemster....
I hate the thought of anyone else working on my cars. That hasn't happened since I was about 15 and started my apprenticeship! but I certainly hope they go the replacement rather than a buy back!
Like a few others on this forum my NL is worth much more than money.
If they were to do a buy back I would imagine that allowing for the various conditions they would pay between $2500 and $5000.
This is just my guestamate after looking at how they worked out the price for the BMW and AUDI buyback.

How much would I have to spend to get a vehicle that would be a replacement?
Here is what it would need and remember I have owned mine for near on 20years!
Full service history
Automatic
7 seats
Leather trim
Dual A/C
Bullbar, towbar, window tint, weathershields, winch, seat covers, tray mats, brand new tyres rev camera. The list goes on, and on. Then there is the rego (transfer etc) and maybe an increase in insurance.
Tow my 2t caravan
But the main problem is that I know my Pajero. I feel confident in its ability and would not hesitate driving it around Aust tomorrow.
How long (and how much would it cost) to bring a replacement up to the standard I keep the Pajero?
I also like the fact that monetarily I can have it as a second (or third car) but know it is ready to go when the need arises.
As you can see by my signature I have other vehicles and I feel the same about all of them.
I know I am jumping the gun but the point is I don't want to get rid of my Pajero, full stop! It would be the hardest to replace.

As a side note I wonder if the steering wheel from the NM onward would be a straight replacement for the NL?
Anyone tried?

Tom
2008 Mercedes W211 e280 CDI sport
2003 Ford Transit
Old 15-01-20
Valued Member

the next factor is the passenger side aiirbag.... these use the same technology as the steering wheel airbag (as the takata issues has shown) NL's with a steering wheel airbag likely have a passenger one as well - and there are NK's with airbags as well.... are they going to look into the passenger air bags???

I just hope I dont lose my rego as I have no airbags left to replace lol

.... and 1990 Nissan Z32 300zx for on road shenanigans
Old 16-01-20
Valued Member

These vehicles were still manufactured in Asia until 2010 and China (Last I checked, 2018), so, it shouldn't be too hard to get a replacement.
Old 16-01-20

Just called my local dealership. He basically said I need to have the car towed to the dealership and not drive it.

He said they won't be replacing the part and Mitsubishi will be buying back the cars.

I only bought the car in November and have spent a whole bunch of money on it. Fuming.
Old 17-01-20
Valued Member

Today was emailed the gov safety recall notice

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/rec...on-my1997-2000

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) - OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch front #plate light bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T,Dash cam, 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap
Old 17-01-20

Can someone put up the VIN numbers please as it is Microsoft Office which I do not have unless the list is too long. What happens if I do not want to sell, are they going to cancel Rego and force them off the road.

Graham
Old 17-01-20
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lateagain View Post
What happens if I do not want to sell, are they going to cancel Rego and force them off the road.
Once they have a legitimate excuse ("unsafe on the road") the government can buy back anything they want - but they must pay a fair price. If you won't sell it to Mitsubishi then the government could insist that you sell it to them - and pass the bill to Mitsubishi.

If you're desperate to keep you NL start talking to an approved engineer about finding an alternative air bag. It might be possible to have a Gen 3 or Gen 4 steering wheel & air bag installed & certified.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 17-01-20
Valued Member

So changing interior/steering wheel to non airbag speed isn't enough to satisfy them? Just seems funny if not considering I have an NL here with no airbag and it's considered perfectly safe. They'll do it with engine changes if that engine was available in that model...