Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 18-12-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
There have been cases where the canister has activated without an accident and the driver has died.
Thata great news !!

So really are driving around wth possible bomb in your face.
Old 18-12-19

Contacted Mitsubishi this morning on their Takata Hotline, was advised that they were still awaiting confirmation from Japan as to which vehicles were affected in the latest ACCC recall for the Nadi airbag.Contact details were taken and advised that they would be in touch when more information available.
Old 18-12-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco stu View Post
Isn't that just as safe/dangerous as just driving a non airbag from the factory car? Seems a bit extreme to say it's an unsafe car

Can't you just unplug the airbag or ecu if you have to wait a fair while to get it done?
yes and yes... you can unplug the airbag ecu or even pull the fuse - but my wagon also does a lot of rock bouncing and sand dunes at speed the chance of an airbag misfire is higher in these situations adnI wanted teh grab rail on the non airbag dash for the passenger for the same driving.

My Paj is mainly a weekend warrior now not my daily so its lucky to do 5000kms a year and get used for 2 days out of every fortnight....

All in all I figured no airbags was no different from the NJ I drove before this

.... and 1990 Nissan Z32 300zx for on road shenanigans
Old 18-12-19
Valued Member

So, I don't disable the airbag and don't have a crash but where it might still might injure/maim/kill me, or,
I disable the airbag and have a crash where I might be injured/maimed or killed.

I think I'll go for the former as I reckon the odds are more in my favour.

Until MMC can be definitive in which NL's are affected then there is no certainty that my vehicles are at risk. My response from MMA was the same as that of Motorazr's. If it's a serious concern they would be acting with appropriate haste to limit their liability if nothing else. If it's a concern and they don't act with the appropriate haste then they are potentially leaving themselves somewhat vulnerable to possible action.

Last edited by arrow; 18-12-19 at 09:02 PM.
Old 19-12-19
Valued Member

With the NL the problem is age "deterioration" related. So as far as I can see ALL NL's with air bags will be affected. The problem with a recall on NL's is that they won't be able to issue a vin range as air bags were a "safety pack" option, not fitted standard from a certain build number. (Except maybe for the very last 99-2000 run?) I think IF a recall is issued it will be for any and all NL's fitted with air bags.
I have already been through two air bag recalls with other cars(twice each as they were like for like for the first time) and it is a pain in the AR*E especially if you are like me and live in a rural area!
Tom
2008 Mercedes W211 e280 CDI sport
2003 Ford Transit
Old 19-12-19
Valued Member

the absolute irony of mitsi australias comments is the whole reason mitsi US has recalled them was due to a death caused by an airbag in a NL Pajero here in Australia

.... and 1990 Nissan Z32 300zx for on road shenanigans
Old 19-12-19
Valued Member

Given the age of these airbags, the issues they appear to have caused & that BMW (& possibly other makers) have told owners not to drive them and get them towed speaks volumes to me. BMW is also offering to buy the cars back (presumably to crush them), perhaps because it isn't worth developing a replacement airbag at huge cost compared to buying the cars back at market value (20yo cars, so worth little).
I'm a bit surprised MMAL isn't taking more drastic action than we have seen so far - probably trying urgently to work out what to do.
If I had one of these I wouldn't be driving it until more is known - inconvenient but what value to put on the families' safety?
I think our government has also said not to drive them.
Hopefully MMAL will get to the bottom of it quickly.
Old 19-12-19
Valued Member

Tough call.

Of the supposedly 78,000 affected cars in Australia how many people will die due to "common" road deathes, verses being affected by possible airbag issue. Sorry, didn't know how to word more humanely

Not driver "potentially" affected cars? So don't go to work, or pay $100/day for a taxi?

Unsafe so needs crushing? Remove airbag and car becomes as "unsafe" as the same model without optional airbag.

Son is in this boat at moment with his NL. Paid good money for a low km, immaculate version. But official market value would be signifiantly less.

As a 1st year apprentice, and no public transport he can't afford the $50 each way taxi fare to work each day.
Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.
Old 20-12-19

I received the following from my email to Mitsubishi :

Subject: Web Enquiry – Pajero VIN: Unspecified

Mitsubishi Motors Australia Limited (MMAL) acknowledges receipt of your recent correspondence.

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the recent ACCC statement regarding a potential NADI airbag recall on our vehicles and we understand that you have concerns to your vehicles safety.

We can assure you that we take this matter seriously, as your safety is of the utmost importance to us.

We are currently seeking confirmation from our Head Office in Japan on whether or not this affects any of our vehicles.

Please may we request the following information in order to update our system. We will then be back in touch once we gain confirmation if your vehicle is affected or not.

VIN number:
Date of birth:
Address:

We await your response.

The VIN number was supplied, year of birth was supplied and PO Box number was supplied. No one gets DOB just because they ask and I fail to see what it has to do with an air bag issue. There was nothing about not driving the car so we continue on as normal, only driven rarely and as Christmas is here now, we will not be on the roads until all the terrorists have gone back home.

Graham
Old 20-12-19
Valued Member

Date of birth?
2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!