• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marcthelegend
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2008
    • Gosnells, WA

The funny thing is, some days it will get the rear wheels off the ground, others it wont, and its always at full height, hmm maybe i will get a trolley jack as well.

When the bottle jack is at full height, it looks rather un-trustworthy

Marc
    05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
    brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• Bernoulli
      • Jun 2007
      • Oregon, USA

Well, I just ordered the Hi-Lift accessory that hooks into the wheel to lift it. I plan on using the bottle jack to hold it up once it's off the ground.
      89 3.0L 5Spd SWB Raider in NW USA

Comment

• THE BRONZE
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by linc View Post
        Is that a recent switch over from hilifts?
        I used to work out bush for a mining contractor and we ALWAYS used roo jacks, and the same company still uses them (I checked yesterday). Wondering if the actual mine sites, or specific companies, have switched away from them due to HSE issues, or if your company simply has always used trolleys for different reasons.
        Exploration mining might be different but you won't get anywhere near a RIO or BHP site with a Hi lift jack...having said that each to their own
        89 NF Paj 3Lt V6 2" lift running on 32" TOYO Open Country A/T's, UHF, Hella 220 Jumbos, Bull Bar, Side Steps

Very soon to install...FRONT LOKKA & MANUAL HUBS....Booya!!
        Soon to have 1 1/2" body lift, Custom Snorkle, Custom Rock Sliders
        Wish to have Custom Bull Bar and Winch

Comment

• Ent
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2014
          • Tasmania

Hi

First trip out and flat tyre with the Challenger. Lucky it was a slow leak so could drive to flat land which on the West Coast of Tassie was some distance. Despite been a car park the supplied bottle jack did not inspire confidence. Given that I has traversed the Montezuma Falls track the day before I would not have trusted the standard jack there, though better than my Falcon one which the vehicle rolled off as the jack bent like a sardine can. Lot to be said for putting the spare under the car while removing a wheel.

I was toying with an exhaust jack but my reading indicates that I am asking for even more trouble. As having no exterior jack points a high lift jack does not appear to be an option.

What does one do when a flat happens and the track will not allow a vehicle with a flat tyre to move to a better spot due to say ground clearance?

Cheers
          2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• offroaddad
            • Nov 2013
            • Perth

Exhaust Jack concerns.

Hi Everyone,
            I have a Ridge Ryder exhaust jack, gave it a test the other day and found it very hard to stay connected to the exhaust ( 6g74, nm standard exhaust tailpipe ), to the point I thought I'd save it for another day. ( any worries about engine seals?) I see nobody has posted on this thread regarding the exhaust jack option. Opinions and advice please, re the original thread.
            Regards,
            Offroaddad.

Comment

• Poita
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2010
              • Adelaide

Glad this popped up! I was wondering what on earth to get that would lift the Paj up high enough. Came with the factory bottle jack but haven't tried to see if that goes high enough. By the sounds of it I wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with it.

Given I don't have any high lift jack points (completely stock right now) would the best option be to buy a heavier duty/bigger bottle jack? A trolley jack is a fairly large item to carry around in the boot.
              NW VRX MY2013
              Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• Dion
                Valued Member
                • May 2010
                • Brisbane

I've been looking on and off for a quality alloy trolley jack. I think they would be okay in the boot of the vehicle.
                2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

• Onslow
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2007
                  • Perth, Western Australia

Buy a better quality bottle jack and one of the highlift jack plates. Put the jack on the plate and you have the extra height, and if you are on soft ground your bottle jack won't sink under the weight of the paj.
                  NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

old Jack on jacks.

I have used all sorts of jacks over the years, hydraulic, mechanical, high lift and exhaust and this is my take on each of them.

Hydraulic,
                    Pro's - compact and light, less effort to use, great for breaking tyre beads.
                    Con's - do not work upside down or on side, require more maintenance, do not like mud or water or sand or bull-dust (seals can chop out easily). I do not trust them and they can let you down when you most need them!

Mechanical, two types: Scissor and Screw.
                    Scissor,
                    Pro's - great range of lift, lightweight.
                    Con's - low lift weights, hard to wind when at upper limit of height and load, unstable at height.
                    Screw,
                    Pro's - compact, light, work at any angle, underwater, in mud, sand & bull-dust, easy to maintain, safe, reliable.
                    Con's - crank handles can be too short but easy to lengthen.

Hi-Lift,
                    Pro's - can be used as hand winch with a bit of know how, great for pulling fence posts out!
                    Con's - heavy, can not be used on most modern 4wds as nowhere to fit the lifting tongue, mechanism does not like mud or sand. Extremely dangerous and unstable, and can easily result in damage to the 4wd and the jack user!
                    I do not trust them.

Exhaust,
                    Pro's - quick and stable, huge lift range, best used on petrol engine 4wds.
                    Con's - Apparently not suited for turbo diesels, exhaust system must be in perfect order, can puncture on rocks, sharp or hot underbody parts. I do not trust them.

I carry my factory hydraulic jack as a backup and to break tyre beads and the jack I use all the time is a mechanical screw jack.

It is a Toyota screw type (Isuzu do them as well) $50 from the wreckers, 1800kg lift and has a collapsed height of 187mm compared to the PB Challenger's 178mm and 1500kg.

Lift height of 430mm compared to the 450mm of the factory jack.

Has a larger cup head for locating on suspension arms, trailing arms and axles housings. It has been drilled out so it fits over the front lower wishbone stud and bolt so it can not slip out even at extreme angles.

I use it with a ply base board and have welded an extension in the crank handle so I do not need to get under the car the operate.

I can put it on the head of the long handle shovel and slide it into place in dirty and soft conditions and the shovel heads acts as a good base plate in all but the softest sand/mud/snow. When I have finished I just just slide it back out.

It is not fancy or pretty but it is light, reliable and safe.

cheers, old Jack.
                    Last edited by old Jack; 21-05-15, 08:51 AM.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• my.paj
                      • Dec 2010
                      • Tullamarine

I have had that type of jack in my shed for many years and used it for bending and pushing out damaged panels on cars but never thought of putting one in my Paj but you make perfect sense and I best go buy one.
                      Rick
                      Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
                      New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• Poita
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2010
                        • Adelaide

Supercheap have the 3000kg Kincrome trolley jack on special right now for $279. Range is 100mm to 550mm which is fantastic compared to most other jacks I have been looking at. Not much use off road due to its size limiting portability, but fantastic for home servicing.
                        Will be going to grab one this afternoon

Supercheap Auto is Australia's leading auto spares, parts and accessories retailer stocking a variety of car batteries, air filters, coolants and more online or in stores nationwide
                        NW VRX MY2013
                        Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• craka
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2009
                          • Newcastle (Newie)

I know this is an old thread and the mention of form ply is ok to use as a jack base. My question is would it be okay/safe to use form ply with a trolley jack ?

My reaon for this is my diveway is not concrete for the whole width it is only concrete for the wheel tracks if that makes sense and just have grass in between the concrete.
                          NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by craka View Post
                            I know this is an old thread and the mention of form ply is ok to use as a jack base. My question is would it be okay/safe to use form ply with a trolley jack ?

My reaon for this is my diveway is not concrete for the whole width it is only concrete for the wheel tracks if that makes sense and just have grass in between the concrete.
                            Should be no worries. Naturally I assume we are talking at least 13mm ply here, not something about 3-5mm. Get a piece 300mm square as thick as you can , keep it dry and clean and only use it for the jack. Will do the job
                            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011
                              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Best to use either structual ply, marine ply or form board ply as thes have more laminations and are stronger and water resistant. 16mm thick is fine.
                              My board is 500mm x 200mm, this is so it can be placed length wise and parallel to the wheel and the jack positioned centraly, this is important as it is more stable in very soft sand particularly if also on a slight incline.

cheers, old Jack.
                              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• craka
                                Valued Member
                                • Jun 2009
                                • Newcastle (Newie)

Sweet, glad to know it's ok I wasn't too sure. Thanks for your responses Dicko1 and Old Jack
                                NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X