• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tg123
    • Jan 2009
    • Adelaide

Joining Snatch Straps - is it OK???

Hi guys! Looking for advice on whether it's OK to join 2 identical snatch straps together to provide greater length & if it is OK, what's the best method of joining? Thinking of loop thru loop with rolled up newspaper as a 'buffer'. Any comments appreciated.

Cheers

TG
    2006 NP Exceed DiD, dual batteries, OME suspension, Polyairs, Waeco CF50, 'Custom' rear storage, Bridgestone 694LT's, ARB Awning, Safari Snorkel, diff breathers, Bushskinz Bashplates - full set, AORC Quantum
  • marcthelegend
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2008
    • Gosnells, WA

I would use a heavy duty 4x4 d-shackle, like the ones rated at 8000 kilos, although i cant see how looping them would be of any problem?

Regards

Marc
    05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
    brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• Matatak
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2008
      • Perth

the general consunes is not to Use a D shackle to join straps.

Do it how you mentioned. Loop through Loop and a magazine or newspaper to stop them combingin into one strap when you snatch someone out.
      05 NP DiD Auto. 265/75R16, OME Suspension, ARB Dlx B/Bar, Warn Zeon 10-S, IPF HID's, Rear Drawer Setup, Pioneer Platform Rack, ARB 78l Fridge, GME TX3520SW UHF.

Comment

• JoshF
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2008
        • Brisbane

I would be keeping away from sticks, shackles and all those methods

https://www.tektrek.com.au/images/4W...y%20straps.pdf has a pretty good summary of what I was taught during my driver training. I was shown that where they use the towel (not a projectile if it breaks) I could use a rolled up magazine or newspaper therefore I could pull them apart if too tight to separate later on and will not kill you if launched
        NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
        Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• outbackswine
          • Apr 2009
          • Mount Isa - The Back Of Bumf*ck

Using a shackle would be my very last resort if all else had failed. A broken strap, particularly the strap that still has the shackle attached would be like a massive bullet speeding back toward one of the cars, very stupid idea.

Comment

• marcthelegend
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2008
            • Gosnells, WA

Originally posted by outbackswine View Post
            Using a shackle would be my very last resort if all else had failed. A broken strap, particularly the strap that still has the shackle attached would be like a massive bullet speeding back toward one of the cars, very stupid idea.
            I know it should be common sense, but i learned something new, will make sure to never use a d-shackle, im just glad i never had to do that

Marc
            05 NP GLX 3.8 Auto. 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, Granke mk3 12,000lbs winch, Uniden UH015sx, HID spotties, Roof mounted light bar, Work lights, Upgraded stereo, Tinting, 2.5t tow, dual battery setup (homemade), Radar Renegade tyres, wired up dummy lights, Bushskinz Sump/Intercooler plates, home-made diff breathers (front and back) and a cheap ebay snorkel.

To-do:
            brake upgrade, oil seals (again!!)

Comment

• Kemsley
              • Apr 2008
              • Brisbane

I have seen the end result of joining snatch straps with a shackle, broken rear window, broken rear seat (had to be replaced), bad smell from driver?s seat!

If you must join them, then follow the good advice given above by Josh.
              Last edited by Kemsley; 09-07-09, 06:10 PM.
              I used to have a NS X DiD Shorty
              Now I drive a VW Amarok

Comment

• Bendero7
                • Aug 2007
                • Tas

Just dont try this either!!!!!

The article.....
                Attached Files
                95 GLS 3L man, ECB Bullbar, Uniden UHF, Magellan Explorist XL, Tinted Windows, 31"x10.5" Mickey Thompson MTZ, Lightforce 170 Striker D/Lights, Rocksliders.

Comment

• Kemsley
                  • Apr 2008
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by Bendero7 View Post
                  Just dont try this either!!!!!

The article.....
                  http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=468
                  That would be from the same people that think any old bit of chain is a snatch strap, axel housings are recovery points and that they are driving submarines because thay have a snorkel!

Scary stuff!
                  I used to have a NS X DiD Shorty
                  Now I drive a VW Amarok

Comment

• tg123
                    • Jan 2009
                    • Adelaide

Thanks for the input everyone - now feeling much happier about using 2 snatch straps!

Cheers

TG
                    2006 NP Exceed DiD, dual batteries, OME suspension, Polyairs, Waeco CF50, 'Custom' rear storage, Bridgestone 694LT's, ARB Awning, Safari Snorkel, diff breathers, Bushskinz Bashplates - full set, AORC Quantum

Comment

• CeeJay
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2008
                      • Samford, QLD

Lots of bad ideas here. Josh is on the money I think. It's OK to join snatch straps, or winch extension straps, or tree trunk protectors/equalisers. It is also OK to extend a snatch strap with a non-snatch strap (i.e. winch extension strap) by threading the loops. Thread rolled up newspaper between the loops, and you'll be able to unthread them afterwards.

2008 NS DiD GLX, ARB bar, Warn winch, BFG ATs, Bilstein/Lovell 2" lift, Milford barrier, VMS GPS, Rhino platform rack, Uniden UHF, Mobile 1 antenna, MMA tow bar, DIY dual battery system, Outback rear storage, Bushskinz bash plates x 3, custom steel sliders, Airtec snorkel, Narva HIDs, Ironman awning, ERPS, Glind hot water

Comment

• jmi
                        • Oct 2007
                        • Whyalla, SA

Originally posted by CeeJay View Post
                        Lots of bad ideas here. Josh is on the money I think. It's OK to join snatch straps, or winch extension straps, or tree trunk protectors/equalisers. It is also OK to extend a snatch strap with a non-snatch strap (i.e. winch extension strap) by threading the loops. Thread rolled up newspaper between the loops, and you'll be able to unthread them afterwards.
                        I reckon i have seen it done on one of the 4wd action dvd's. but would need someone to confirm that it is safe as i cannot remember the full details. I can just remember them saying to put somthing in between the loops so you can get them apart again.
                        I would guess and say that it is safe, but you would have to remember that it would only be as strong as the weakest strap.
                        * NS GLX 3.2L White Manual Poojero
                        * Uniden UH015sx UHF, Smartbar, Spot Lights
                        * Roof Rack, Dual Batteries, Water Bladder
                        * Kings 2", Diff Breather, Silent Armors
                        * Comming Next: A For Sale Sign!
                        * Pajero now sold!

Comment

• mumfy
                          • Apr 2008
                          • Carramar Perth WA

When I had my 4x4 training with Landrover in the UK join 2 snatch straps through the loops but add a rolled up newspaper into the joint, so you get them apart

It worked for me on the beach !!!!! and getting bogged
                          Pajero NM 3.5 V6
                          Extras 40mm lift, Roo Bar, UHF, Homebrew Storage,

Comment

• CeeJay
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2008
                            • Samford, QLD

Put into practice yesterday at LCMP, one 20m winch extension strap, and two 8m snatch straps joined together (loop through loop) to make a 36m strap to get Bennys up Telecom Hill!! (sorry Ben).

2008 NS DiD GLX, ARB bar, Warn winch, BFG ATs, Bilstein/Lovell 2" lift, Milford barrier, VMS GPS, Rhino platform rack, Uniden UHF, Mobile 1 antenna, MMA tow bar, DIY dual battery system, Outback rear storage, Bushskinz bash plates x 3, custom steel sliders, Airtec snorkel, Narva HIDs, Ironman awning, ERPS, Glind hot water

Comment

• NFPaj_Diver

Loop together with newspaper in the middle

dont zip tie them together like the Boat I saw the other day

He Ziptied his anchor chain to his anchor. Used about 15 of them... I guess he thought that he better not skimp on zip ties

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X