Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Is the new Y61 Patrol 3.0 Diesel still a hand grenade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aussie_Dan
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Cairns

Even if it does like a drink, enjoy your 4.8 Snapcatcher.
    Nissan do know how to screw together an excellent petrol motor, nobody can deny that.
    Cheers, Dan.
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• sharky
      Valued Member
      • May 2008
      • Kilmore

Originally posted by geoff&vi View Post
      Really,

So you own or have owned one of the CRD Patrols then? That's a pretty big call, considering how many of them are out there running around trouble free. Also consider how many of the 3.0l engines were fitted to the Navara.

Every vehicle has issues no matter what manufacture it hails from. Yes the pre CRD models did have engine issues that were unreasonably common. I have a 08 CRD manual with 142k on it and it is a great vehicle. OK, not as powerful, or handle and brake as well, however the suspension is more comfortable, the interior is bigger, the driveline is tougher and the vehicle is more simplistic.

Dont get me wrong, i loved my NT Paj and it was the most reliable vehicle i have ever owned. But i'm really enjoying the Trol every bit as much, for different reasons. I just find generalising comments like yours a tad unjust and uninformed.

I'm a Patrol forum member and have spent quite a lot of time scouring topics and can honestly say the member's to be knowhere near as friendly and understanding of others as this forum. Just my 2c worth.

cheers
      Geoff
      Hi Geoff I agree with you on the members there, I know of a bloke that bought an 05 or 06 model 3.0 new, never abused it and religiously maintained it with Nissan dealership and around 140k went bang. Couple of months out of warranty and I think Nissan offered him $2k towards it. aLL UP around $14k later was back on the road. I have heard a few stories similar to this with later ones too. I like them very much and nearly bought one but got to say personaly, just not convinced the issues have been solved.
      Last edited by sharky; 13-01-14, 10:56 PM.
      ----------------------------
      'Steve'
      2000 NL TD GLS

Comment

• Ent
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2014
        • Tasmania

Know first hand a Patrol Stationwagon that has had four turbos let go in four years. The vehicle tows a decent caravan but still not a good look.

An older one in flat try configuration has been reliable.

Not a motor I would trust especially if under continuous load.
        2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• Garthc
          • Jun 2014
          • Brisbane

I use to own a zd30, was a later model zd30, after the so called fix. Over the years I had it I would often spend time taking it back to nissan for repairs, had live axel issues on drivers side, did the injector pump 2 times, inter cooler leaked, and had terrible fuel economy. Not to mention the bubbling dash. Mehta finaly destroyed my faith in the zd30 was when towing on a flat stretch of highway it blew up. There was no warning, it just went bang. Injector failed and blew the top of number 2 clean off. There is a system out there called the nads, it's ment to,fix the problem, how ever the problem with the zd30 is the maf sensor reads wrong and it over fuels, which burns holes in pistons. The nads is boost control. The cost of a new long motor was around the 9k mark, with another 3 to swap bits from mine to new one, with no quarantine it wouldn't happen again. So the car was sold as is blown motor and all, with a young fella going to do a td4.2 swap on it.

Will I ever own a patrol again, no, just have no faith that the issue has been fixed. And for the cost of repair for me it's just not a viable option. My pajero is a stop gap for now untill I decide what way to go. With the cost of patrols and Toyota compared to pajero or jeep, get the exact same issues with them, half the cost,to repair and last the exact same time, I'll prob stick with pajero for a while.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X