• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

Gregory's Gorge, Pilbara - pic intense!

Last weekend a few friends and I went to Gregory's Gorge, just west of the Millstream National Park, 150km south of Karratha.

There was the Paj, a Patrol and a Cruiser, 7 people.
    2 nights spent in the bush, it was magic. Plenty of laughs round the fire with an "acceptable" (load) amount of beer.
    Once on the main track in, it was fairly slow going. A bit over 1hr of the 3hr trip in is slow going, 20kmh was about the quickest you could get, and not for very long either. It was mostly a dirt and rock track with a couple nice big soft sand patches, nothing difficult. Low range helped to crawl over and up/down along a few sections, but got through mostly in 4H without any trouble at all, Paj didnt miss a beat! Had a wheel or two in the air at one stage coming out of a riverbed, but I put that down to the crap line I took... 3 river crossings, generally about 2ft deep which were pretty easy but stupid me got a bit too eager (afraid of stopping in one of them!) and put a little too much boot in and pushed through the bow wave- took it much easier and with better results on the return trip through and was surprised at how little effort was actually required to get across.
    Once coming down the main track and crossing over the Fortescue River, you end up driving along it's riverbed out wide from the main body of water- I am led to believe that the majority of this area is underwater and not accessible when the rains come. You can camp pretty much anywhere along here, some are waterfront spots. We got the pick of the lot!

Awesome trip, absolutely loved it. Have to go again, but chances are it wont be till next year once we get through what is likely to be a stinking hot summer!

Anyways, the photos!

Packed and ready to go, about to leave a mate's place. Paj clean still....
    Had the Cruiser's spare up top with my 2nd spare.

On the track in.

One of the water crossings. Shallow but very uneven rock bottom bouncing us around, unfortunately i didnt get any shots of Paj going through- next time!

Almost there...

And we're there! WOOOT!

And some shots from the return trip.

Dirty Paj!

And the Promo Shot
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
  • Dazza.
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2009
    • Northern Territory

Tops! Jealous
    COOL SILVER MY10 NT DID GLS MANUAL PAJERO - Colour Coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar - Warn X9 Winch - 60L Auxiliary Tank - Towbar - HID Lightforce Spotlights - DIY dual battery system - TX3440 UHF - Lovells/Bilstien suspension - BushSkinz bash plates - Driver with a passion to explore Australia

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2010
      • Cairns

Great photo's Alex, looks like a beautiful spot!
      2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Ranger J
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Perth, Western Australia

That looks like a top camping spot Alex!
        NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

• sharkcaver
          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
          • May 2009
          • Perth

Fantastic Alex. When am I coming up to the Pilbara again......And I'va a mate with a boat in Karratha now too

Shane.
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Jords
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2011
            • Kellyville Ridge

Did ya try the rope swing? Looked very inviting!
            2007 NS VRX Cool Siver, Mitsu Alloy BB with spotties, MM towbar, Family Pack, ARB Awning, Duel battery with Optima yellow top starter, Bushskinz intercooler and sump combo, 2" lift with Bilstein shocks and HD Lovels, Ultragauge (Sold 2014)

Comment

• Alex86
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Here and there

Its a fantastic spot.
              Though one gripe I have is with the people who are too slack to either bury or burn their dunny roll..... It's not that difficult!

Rope swing.......many times! They are always fun. It's really the only way to get into the water!
              Never perfected the backflip off it though, most times i ended up landing in the water awkwardly; including entering the water with my face sideways first, that stung a little haha.
              The thought crossed my mind one day to do a swing in the darkness, but I later forgot about it unfortunately. It would have been so much fun. Woke up on the last morning and thought "crap, i didnt rope swing in the dark!" Another thing on the to-do list for when i go back.

I guesstimate the water at about 5m deep, took me a couple goes to find the bottom in various spots. Was a little chilly when first getting in but after a few seconds it was quite comfy.

An extra night would have been great though. Next time I'll take an extra day off just to spend that little bit longer unwinding, 2 full days and 3 nights of practically nothing would be ideal.
              '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
              Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X