• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hill
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Adelaide

Tappet Interval Adjustment

Had my tappets checked recently. I trust the guy who did this work. It was 45k km since last adjusted. I have an electronic EGR block.

Not one tappet required adjustment.

This set me thinking about why.

I stumbled across a post on Prado Point regarding the benefits of EGR block and one quoted benefit was less valve recession.

To me this make some sense as less abrasive material would be recirculated in engines with EGR blocks.

Your thoughts re less valve recession?

Your experience re tappet interval adjustment.

Hill
    200 Series
    AOR Quantum 4
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Doing tappets every 30,000k is just a money making scheme for the dealer. Plus they get to change and charge you for new injector pipes at the 5th or 6th change.

Can't answer your question Hill but ours has had 3 tappet adjustments in over 300,000k. In all cases there was little or no adjustment needed.

Comment

• Hill
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2007
      • Adelaide

3 adjustments in 300k km is fairly minimal even by my standards!!

Lets see what others say

Hill
      200 Series
      AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

Mine gets done next week at 40,000klms. If all is good I will get next done at 100,000klms. After that it will be every 70,000klms...depending on how the tappets seem on these next 2 inspections. The number of holdens, falcons and toyotas I had that never had the rocker cover off is huge. I think MM are scamming us!!
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Hill
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2007
          • Adelaide

Dicko

My belief is that a tappet adjustment at 30-40k km mark is the most important of all.

This check/adjustment sorts out any issues with initial engine set up from factory and is good insurance.

Do you have EGR blank?

Hill
          200 Series
          AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• dhula
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2012
            • South of Perth

Holdens, Fords and Toyota's - plenty of them had/have hydraulic followers so no need to pull the rocker cover to adjust the Vv clearances as there is no adjusting to do.

I think 40-50k between checks would be OK on the Paj, not sure if I'd be game to push it further than that tho.

Not sure what the new Prado uses but the 95s Prado which had the 1KZ-TE was shim in bucket. Ours went 160k without needing an adjsutment. I did check them on time though which IIRC was every 40k and you could certainly see the effects of wear etc as time went on because the clearance got bigger, but not big enough to need an adjustment.

EGR block/delete equaling less Vv recession? Not really sure on that comment TBH as I have no personal experience but seeing how an EGR block/delete will mean less abrasive oil+soot paste like substance in the intake, it does make some sense.
            Last edited by dhula; 31-10-17, 10:33 PM.
            2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
            2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• mckenzl
              • Mar 2013
              • WA

I've only had one adjustment done since purchasing at 160,000km. It was at 320,000km. MM said there was minimal adjustment required. No EGR block. I do think an adjustment at 30,000km would be wise as a new motor settles in.
              Sold. 2007 NS VRX DID

Now. Isuzu MU-X MY17 LST

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Hill View Post
                Dicko

My belief is that a tappet adjustment at 30-40k km mark is the most important of all.

This check/adjustment sorts out any issues with initial engine set up from factory and is good insurance.

Do you have EGR blank?

Hill

That,s my thinking as well. Also the opinion of the diesel mechanic who will be doing the work. Car has had catch can and SPV EGR nodule from brand new.
                Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Hill
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by mckenzl View Post
                  I've only had one adjustment done since purchasing at 160,000km. It was at 320,000km. MM said there was minimal adjustment required. No EGR block. I do think an adjustment at 30,000km would be wise as a new motor settles in.
                  This aligns to a dealership where I know the fleet manager.

They do first valve clearance check for new vehicles at 105k km.

First check at 30-40k km and second at 120k km and 100k km there after looks like it might work.

Owner assumes risk

Hill
                  Last edited by Hill; 31-10-17, 09:37 AM.
                  200 Series
                  AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Dicko1
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Hill View Post
                    This aligns to a dealership where I know the fleet manager.

They do first valve clearance check for new vehicles at 105k km.

First check at 30-40k km and second at 120k km and 100k km there after looks like it might work.

Owner assumes risk

Hill

Probably no more riskier than paying $500 for a valve check and all they do is an audible listen for a noisy tappet. Must have superhuman ears to pick up a tight valve.....
                    Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• dhula
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2012
                      • South of Perth

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                      Probably no more riskier than paying $500 for a valve check and all they do is an audible listen for a noisy tappet.
                      Or the do it for real, make a mistake when putting it back together which nearly causes the engine to run-away
                      2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                      2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                        • May 2009
                        • Perth

Originally posted by dhula View Post
                        Or the do it for real, make a mistake when putting it back together which nearly causes the engine to run-away
                        Which is the reason I had mine done at 35K recently (newly settled engine) and will be following that work up with an oil analysis that will check dilution as part of the test.

Next adjustment wont be done for 100K km's.
                        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• basil
                          • Apr 2012
                          • Gembrook

I did the first tappet adjustment at 130,000 kms, knowing that Mitsi wouldn't have actually taken the cover off before hand.

Result was that all intakes were within .02mm of what they should be, at .08mm and exhausts were within .05mm with all of the clearances being greater than the recommended .15mm gap.

So all exhausts had in effect gained clearance while the intakes had closed up ever so slightly.

Once the engine has dimensionally stabilised after a good period, then every 100,000 should be fine. If it drifts more for some reason, then there is a problem with excess carbon either forming on the valves which will increase the gap, or soot taking it's toll by abrading the valve and seat and closing the gap. Either condition is a result of some incomplete combustion.

So get them properly adjusted initially, and I mean actually adjusted and not just listened to, then not a lot is going to change excluding the above. The difference after the valves being adjusted perfectly was just noticeable.

Cheers,

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X