• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jasonmc73
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2019
    • Brisbane

Ball weight upgrade 300kg's towing over 2500kg's

Just came across this in my travels for anyone whom may be struggling with ball weight.

Vehicle NT Pajero

Company is in South Australia, I believe done by Equip Autoparts Sth Australia.

Equipe, exhaust, Xforce, suspension, Lovells, Lovell's, Akebono, brakes, Eibach, GVM, shocks, springs, gaskets, driveshafts, Superpro, ESA, Polyair, MOOG, Wagner, DBA, Airbagman, Selby, extractors, liftkit, headers

Attached Files
    Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

I'd love to read that engineering report.

For ball weights exceeding 250kg the 3rd row seating positions are not to be used.
    I can exceed my rear axle weight with only two seats in the car, well before I consider hooking any trailer onto the tow bar.

NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Jasonmc73
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2019
      • Brisbane

Only 80kg's GVM upgrade.

Main thing I suppose is he has the opportunity to be legal.
      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• 2bad4u
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2009
        • Perth, Western Australia

My ball weight goes 180kg and I haven’t got much to spare. Went over a weigh bridge 2 weeks ago with fully loaded car and van and car was 10kg off it’s limit of 3030kg. That was after I took a heap of stuff out as I knew the weight was getting up there. So 300kg on the ball leaves sweet FA for much else. And the Pajero has one of the better payloads of 4x4 wagons.
        Warren
        2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
        2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by 2bad4u View Post
          My ball weight goes 180kg and I haven’t got much to spare. Went over a weigh bridge 2 weeks ago with fully loaded car and van and car was 10kg off it’s limit of 3030kg. That was after I took a heap of stuff out as I knew the weight was getting up there. So 300kg on the ball leaves sweet FA for much else. And the Pajero has one of the better payloads of 4x4 wagons.
          According to the Workshop Manual a fully optioned Gen 4 has a 650kg payload, so if you use 300kg for ball load then you only have 350kg for the weight of the driver, passengers, fuel, any fitted accessories, upgrades or modifications and all cargo carried.
          It is so easy to exceed GVM!
          The Lovells 80kg GVM upgrade takes you up to the combined front and rear axle weight limits by changing the coils so the suspension ride height is above the minimum legal limit at the axle limits. Nothing special or magical about this.
          I am with NJswb, I too would like to see the engineers report to see what methodology and tests were used in the certification.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Also sounds a bit suss to me as well. Dont try and make it something it isn't...a heavy hauler. Removing the third row seat? Strange engineering practice..surely you,d do this before even trying a gvm upgrade. Wonder if the engineering report is hand delivered by a unicorn.. Seems to be a lot of people pushing the envelope when it comes to towing overweight vans/trailers. One engineering practice that can help....buy a suitable vehicle!!
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Jasonmc73
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2019
              • Brisbane

I agree i personally would look for something lighter to tow!

But reality is many are towing with ball weight above 250kg's, regardless of towed weight & not covered by insurance.

Would put the Pajero at "legal" capability of as example Holden Trailblazer, 600kg payload, 300kg ball weight with 3 tonne tow.

Sounds like TJM also offer same, in which states this is possible I have no idea.

Reported cost is $3,600 + $260 for Transport South Australia all completed by the installer in this instance
              Attached Files

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

The Equipe Lovells 80kg GVM and 300kg towball 3000kg tow capacity is a great piece of marketing for your $3600 what do you get?
                $1600 worth of front and rear coils with struts and shockers fitted.
                $2000 compliance plate that gives you a legal 80kg GVM upgrade and 300kg towball at 3000kg towing.

Even with this upgrade there would be many that would still exceed the upgraded GVM and towball weights as well so the manufacturers axle load limit.

Maybe there is a very profitable business in selling suspension upgrade data plates and cans of yellow or red rated recovery point paint?

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• NTBenny
                  • May 2017
                  • Newcastle

I contacted the above firm in SA and they advised they could not help me with my Pajero due to it being registered in NSW.

Benny.
                  2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2019
                    • Brisbane

Originally posted by NTBenny View Post
                    I contacted the above firm in SA and they advised they could not help me with my Pajero due to it being registered in NSW.

Benny.
                    Yeah makes sense, they wouldn't be able to have it certified in South Aussie as it is registered in NSW.

Ultimate suspension, in NSW I believe offer similar. Can't recall exaclty details there?

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2019
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                      The Equipe Lovells 80kg GVM and 300kg towball 3000kg tow capacity is a great piece of marketing for your $3600 what do you get?
                      $1600 worth of front and rear coils with struts and shockers fitted.
                      $2000 compliance plate that gives you a legal 80kg GVM upgrade and 300kg towball at 3000kg towing.

Even with this upgrade there would be many that would still exceed the upgraded GVM and towball weights as well so the manufacturers axle load limit.

Maybe there is a very profitable business in selling suspension upgrade data plates and cans of yellow or red rated recovery point paint?

OJ.

Yes Jack, same suspension many already have & fit in there back yard with the same towbar.

$2,000 sticker actually by the looks, not a plate. Very profitable.

Crazy world alright, no $2,000 sticker none compliant for many.

I work with machinery see expensive stickers there as well.

Agree no room for accessories or gear which is the same as most other brands.

Would suit a couple with stock standard vehicle i suppose whom pack correctly.

I can easily travel wife & I with 2 kids only thing in ute is bags of clothes towing a camper trailer as example.

Might be useful for someone was my thoughts.

Comment

• lewie15
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Whyalla

I've just done this upgrade. Yes it's expensive, but I bought my 2014 NW for $27K with 87,000 km on it and it's much cheaper sticking with my Pajero and doing the upgrade, than upgrading to something like a Ford Everest. Just upgraded to full size van (2.8T) and the Pajero tows it really well (and legally). Helps that my Pajero is pretty much stock. No roof racks, drawers, bull bars, drawers etc to eat up GVM. With the van fully packed and 3 young kids in the back seat, we still have around 200 kg to spare.
                        2012 PB Challenger.

Comment

• matthewi
                          • Aug 2021
                          • Melbourne

lewie15 . Can you give some more info on what upgrade you did and where? I'm currently looking into this myself as I'm borderline over GVM when I pack the car up for camping.

Comment

• Zigmeister
                            • Jul 2018
                            • Sunshine Coast Qld

Originally posted by lewie15 View Post
                            I've just done this upgrade. Yes it's expensive, but I bought my 2014 NW for $27K with 87,000 km on it and it's much cheaper sticking with my Pajero and doing the upgrade, than upgrading to something like a Ford Everest. Just upgraded to full size van (2.8T) and the Pajero tows it really well (and legally). Helps that my Pajero is pretty much stock. No roof racks, drawers, bull bars, drawers etc to eat up GVM. With the van fully packed and 3 young kids in the back seat, we still have around 200 kg to spare.
                            Did the upgrade also allow you to go over the Pajero's 180kg tow ball limit (when towing over 2500kg's)
                            2014 NW Exceed, 40mm TJM lift, M&H catch can, EGR delete, Engine Watchdog

Comment

• lewie15
                              • Sep 2019
                              • Whyalla

Originally posted by Zigmeister View Post

Did the upgrade also allow you to go over the Pajero's 180kg tow ball limit (when towing over 2500kg's)
                              Yes that was the main purpose of doing the upgrade. The GVM increase and lift were both added bonuses. Went away with our van last weekend. Put it on the weigh bridge on the way and it was 2930 kg's fully loaded. The Pajero towed it really well. Sat on around 95 km on the highway in 4th and used 18 L/100
                              2012 PB Challenger.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X