• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uxxo
    • Oct 2017
    • Perth

Oil dipstick bad reading

Does anyone else have an issue with the engine oil dipstick showing two different readings on each side of the dipstick? Once side shows the oil level between the two marks, the other side shows the level up to the “X” – see attached pictures
    It’s something that has been bothering me since I had the Pajero (2012 NW), and I always thought that my dipstick maybe was just a bit bent. Last week I bought a brand new dipstick and nothing has changed.
    I always read the oil level with the engine warm, at least half hour after turning the engine off
    Attached Files
  • littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

Originally posted by Uxxo View Post
    Does anyone else have an issue with the engine oil dipstick showing two different readings on each side of the dipstick? Once side shows the oil level between the two marks, the other side shows the level up to the “X” – see attached pictures
    It’s something that has been bothering me since I had the Pajero (2012 NW), and I always thought that my dipstick maybe was just a bit bent. Last week I bought a brand new dipstick and nothing has changed.
    I always read the oil level with the engine warm, at least half hour after turning the engine off
    start it .. turn it off and check it ... push it in slowly and count to 5 ... will give you an accurate reading ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Hazpet
      • May 2014
      • Mandurah

Read your manual, it tells you how to read the dipstick
      2014 NW VR-X, Ironbark. Dual battery, Off Road Downunder tray, Redarc BCDC1225LV, 92ah AGM, Projector dual battery moniter, Rhino racks & rod holders, ARB awning, MMA steel bar, MMA towbar package, Half rear wheel cover & lift kit, Xray vision 10led bar, Uniden UH 8080NB CB, Tint a car tint, Rear shelf, 40l Engel & slide, Blackvue in car video, Baintech power panel, Scan guage, ARB compressor, Rodezi rod holders, Sports grill, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guard & various other bits & pieces.

Comment

• gazza11
        • Aug 2017
        • Medowie NSW

oil dipstick bad reading

Yes you are right. Its very hard to see the level. I always have trouble reading the dip stick after changing the oil. I read the level on the face side and the level is always higher on the back. I always check when the oil is cold, first thing in the morning and again a few days after an oil change when the oil goes darker. I have a ride on lawn mower and its impossible to get a correct reading. Each time I check its different. A very annoying thing. The Dealers must have a monitored refill quantity to get the level correct.
        Cheers.
        NT Pajero Exceed-factory tow bar and nudge bar-Provent 200 catch can-Michelin LTX Force tyres-DBA slotted front rotors-Bendix 4x4 Pads-Sheep Skin front seat covers.

Comment

• GHendo
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2012
          • Northern NSW

The only way I can get an accurate reading on mine it to leave it overnight – you then get one, and one only chance of getting a reading when you take the dipstick out the first time.

When I do an oil change I know approximately how much oil mine takes, so I put that in, then the next morning I take a reading and top-up as necessary.

Cheers

Geoff
          03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• erad
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Cooma NSW

I recently had the same issue - different readings on each side. I turned the dipstick 180 degrees and it then read the same level,

Comment

• benckj
              Valued Member
              • Oct 2017
              • Alexandra , New Zealand

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
              The only way I can get an accurate reading on mine it to leave it overnight – you then get one, and one only chance of getting a reading when you take the dipstick out the first time.

When I do an oil change I know approximately how much oil mine takes, so I put that in, then the next morning I take a reading and top-up as necessary.

Cheers

Geoff
              ^^exactly. Best way to get accurate readings IMO. I do all my cars this way.

Its actually the easiest as you don't even need to wipe it first just pull dipstick and read level. Can do with one hand tied behind my back.

Comment

• Keithyv
                Valued Member
                • May 2018
                • Perth

I always put this down to the dipstick rubbing on something on one side on the way out.
                2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Uxxo
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Perth

So, checking the oil level with the engine cold seems to be the best option.
                  Anyway...it's a bit of a shitty design :-)

Comment

• benckj
                    Valued Member
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Uxxo View Post
                    So, checking the oil level with the engine cold seems to be the best option.
                    Anyway...it's a bit of a shitty design :-)
                    Agreed. Not really a big deal and many vehicles react exactly the same way.

Some of the contributing factors is using synthetic oil and improved filtration systems. This makes the slippery oil very hard to see on dipstick. One of the modern alternatives is to eliminate the dipstick all together and have a level sensor in the sump. Many vehicles already do this with transmissions and some German cars with engines.

Comment

• Morville
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2008
                      • Buxton Vic

I don't know if this applies to Pajeros, but with some engines the dipstick tube extends into the oil and as the engine cools down the oil will creep up the tube as the air in it contracts giving a false reading. To be sure even when cold, I find it best to remove the dipstick to allow the oil to return to its correct level and then wipe the stick before checking the oil level.
                      Peter

Comment

• benckj
                        Valued Member
                        • Oct 2017

You may be correct shortly after shut down but once it has reached equilibrium it should all revert to identical level. This is why its best to check in morning before departure.

I have always found that Mitsi's take quite a long time for all the oil to return back to the sump from head & oil galleries. Just another reason to wait until full cool down before checking.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X