Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-4 Pajero

Generation 4-4 Pajero NX model 2014 -

Old 30-08-19

Default NX tyre choices

I am looking at buying 265/60r18 BFG All Terrain T/A K02s for the NX. The tyre merchant suggested that I up size to 265/65r18 and it will put the speed out by 3.5%, i.e. speedo reads 100kph actually going 103.5kph.

Has anyone else have done this?

What are the mechanical ramifications, if any?

What advantage would this give me offroad or towing?

which way should I go?
Old 30-08-19
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby View Post
I am looking at buying 265/60r18 BFG All Terrain T/A K02s for the NX. The tyre merchant suggested that I up size to 265/65r18 and it will put the speed out by 3.5%, i.e. speedo reads 100kph actually going 103.5kph.

Has anyone else have done this?

What are the mechanical ramifications, if any?

What advantage would this give me offroad or towing?

which way should I go?
The larger size tyre proposed by your merchant is a common "upsize" for Pajero, and is a more common size of tyre, so you'll have a larger choice of tyres - but if you've already chosen the BFGs that isn't a significant issue for you. Many owners here have done this (and an equivalent upsize on 17" wheels on earlier models).

Your speedo will currently be "over reading" i.e. your indicated speed will be higher than your actual speed. Moving to the larger size of tyre will reduce this "factory error" and make your speedo more accurate.

Mechanically, the taller gearing means your torque converter is likely to spend more time unlocked, particularly if you're towing. MM 4x4 sells a couple of excellent lockup kits to help you manage this issue - check out MM 4x4's forum in our Commercial Advertisers section.

Offroad, the larger tyres will technically give you more ground clearance, but the extra sidewall height will probably encourage you to deflate your tyres further - so it's arguable if the extra sidewall makes a significant difference.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 30-08-19
Valued Member

The larger tyre makes your gearing taller and the car has to work harder if towing heavy loads or doing steep off road work.

Depends what you intend towing, where & for how long.
Old 30-08-19

Thanks NJ SWB

So now I need to weigh up whether it is worth upsizing (cheaper tyres), and buying ($450) and installing a TCC.

Now a new problem to ponder!

Old 30-08-19

Thanks Spot 01
your comments are appreciated
Old 30-08-19
Valued Member

Also, sometimes overlooked, but are you getting a matching spare?

If not, you may get issues with the car's electronics going nuts if the rolling diameters of all tyres on the road don't match closely - even the same tyres but with significantly different wear can upset these cars. The same size but different brands/types/construction increases the chances of a Pajero dummy spit. Using different sizes even for a short while will almost certainly result in Pajero saying no. Not to mention increased loads & wear on diffs, etc.

If yes, larger tyres sometimes won't fit in the spare cover, esp. with the spare lift kit if towing.
Old 30-08-19

Thanks Spot01
I am renewing all 5 tyres.

yes I have thought about the spare wheel lift and i do not think the "65"s will fit in.

So I have opted for the 265/60r18s.

Old 30-08-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
The larger size tyre proposed by your merchant is a common "upsize" for Pajero, and is a more common size of tyre, so you'll have a larger choice of tyres
Agree with everything (except for the above) nj swb states here and has covered the topic off well, plus input from spot01. The above though, through my own research isn't quite correct. 265/60 is a more common size of tyre than the 265/65. See below for example of what's available on Tyresales.

265/60 (69 choices)
https://www.tyresales.com.au/search?...pect=60&rim=18

265/65 (11 choices)
https://www.tyresales.com.au/search?...pect=65&rim=18

I thoroughly researched this and just about pulled the trigger on a set of 5 265/65s (upsizing the spare) but found out my truck would be technically illegal in WA as laws state a maximum 50mm raise from lift and/or tyre size change. I have a 2" lift and didn't want to risk issues with insurance if I have an accident. A secondary factor was torque converter lockup and also if I go bush and manage to puncture more than my spare I'd need to find a replacement which may be easier if I stick with the 265/60.

I ended up going with a set of 4 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws which I've been very happy with. Found them locally $885 total after the buy 3 get 4 deal.
Old 30-08-19
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc80 View Post
Agree with everything (except for the above) nj swb states here and has covered the topic off well, plus input from spot01. The above though, through my own research isn't quite correct. 265/60 is a more common size of tyre than the 265/65. See below for example of what's available on Tyresales.

265/60 (69 choices)
https://www.tyresales.com.au/search?...pect=60&rim=18

265/65 (11 choices)
https://www.tyresales.com.au/search?...pect=65&rim=18
Thanks for that - I stand corrected.

To be pedantic (because it's a special talent of mine ) if you select the offroad / 4wd option on the left, then look at load ratings, the number of options in both sizes rapidly diminishes (on that site). But I agree that the larger size doesn't show the larger range that I thought was available.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 30-08-19

Thumbs up thanks

Thanks Guys for your input
Its appreciated