Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 26-02-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Before the belts snapped did your aircon work well or just ok? Did it actually work at all? Also check gas. If its short of refrigerant the compressor won't get any cooling back to it. so when it's hot bearings wear and could possibly start to seize causing belt to snap. Does the clutch on the front of compressor disengage when ac button off and engine running?
HI yeah works perfect until belt snap.
Old 26-02-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Before the belts snapped did your aircon work well or just ok? Did it actually work at all? Also check gas. If its short of refrigerant the compressor won't get any cooling back to it. so when it's hot bearings wear and could possibly start to seize causing belt to snap. Does the clutch on the front of compressor disengage when ac button off and engine running?
And yeah disengage when ac off and can spin freely
Old 26-02-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemysa View Post
The pulley is shiny because the AC belt running from the crankshaft (A) to the AC tensioner pulley (B) is rubbing on it.
what ill do is try and get a different belt then have someone rev engine and ill have a look,or maybe test with the same belt to see see if it really rubbing
Old 07-03-16

Thanks guys for all your help,i think the belt was rubbing on fan bell housing,when installing ac belt it has to be tension right up so when engine rpm rise the belt doesn't flex out and rub, at this point i'll keep my eyes on the tension to see if its changing over time which i think is happening.
Old 07-03-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxice View Post
Thanks guys for all your help,i think the belt was rubbing on fan bell housing,when installing ac belt it has to be tension right up so when engine rpm rise the belt doesn't flex out and rub, at this point i'll keep my eyes on the tension to see if its changing over time which i think is happening.
The problem is that tightening the belt actually worsens the problem. Tightening it moves it closer to the fan bell housing.

I had the same problem with what I believe was the original factory fitted belt. The only solution was to get a slightly shorter belt.
Old 15-03-16

Wink

the tension pulley may need a new bearing, or the compressor bracket may be loose.
Old 18-03-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemysa View Post
The problem is that tightening the belt actually worsens the problem. Tightening it moves it closer to the fan bell housing.

I had the same problem with what I believe was the original factory fitted belt. The only solution was to get a slightly shorter belt.
Do you have part # for the shorter belt
Old 18-03-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymizzo View Post
the tension pulley may need a new bearing, or the compressor bracket may be loose.
i have installed new pulley
and it spins freely
Old 18-03-16

Why did you install a new pulley?

Anyway, the belt I have on now is a 13A 0940 meaning it is 940mm (94cm) long. Its just a belt from Supercheap. I just grabbed it when I went past supercheap one day, and used the recommended belt from their Gates book. It has about 1 cm of clearance between the belt and the underside of the fan bell pulley. I reckon if I planned it better I could have used an even shorter belt, say 93 cm.

I don't know how long the old belt was, its been lost, but it was definitely rubbing on the fan bell.

Whats the number on your new belt?

Belts are measured on the inside. The outside measure is usually 2cm longer, so a 94cm like mine belt is actually 96 on the outside.

Last edited by alchemysa; 18-03-16 at 02:37 PM.
Old 18-03-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxice View Post
i have installed new pulley
and it spins freely
The pulley itself will spin freely - until the compressor clutch is engaged. Then it will test if the guts of the compressor are seizing up.