Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 23-02-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemysa View Post
Is it just a clean snap or does it look worn? If the belt is a fraction too long the belt tightener will pull it towards the fan pulley and cause it to rub at high engine speeds. Check for rub marks/shiny patches around the fan pulley.
Ok no worries, the last time i get to see the belt it was a clean snap but i could be wrong this time the belt got lost because i no longer have the bash plate on
Old 23-02-16

But one crucial thing,i did smell rubber before it snapped the last time so
Old 23-02-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymizzo View Post
pulleys not aligned
That too i'll have to do up a video for you guys to see.
Old 24-02-16

Default Video to watch

Hi guys here we go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv0d...ature=youtu.be
Old 24-02-16
Valued Member

A bit hard to see, but I think that the pulleys are probably aligned OK. Certainly unless you have changed the mounting brackets, they should still be in line.

You tried turning the pulley whilst the engine was running. The part you were turning will always turn - with or without the A/C clutch being engaged. The bit to check it the centre of that pulley - does that turn OK when you have the A.C turned on? The clutch engages the central part of that pulley and then turns the compressor. The bit you were turning by hand always runs. I suspect that the central part of the pulley may be locked solid ie the compressor has seized internally. Was there any significant resistance as you tried to turn the pulley?
Old 24-02-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by erad View Post
A bit hard to see, but I think that the pulleys are probably aligned OK. Certainly unless you have changed the mounting brackets, they should still be in line.

You tried turning the pulley whilst the engine was running. The part you were turning will always turn - with or without the A/C clutch being engaged. The bit to check it the centre of that pulley - does that turn OK when you have the A.C turned on? The clutch engages the central part of that pulley and then turns the compressor. The bit you were turning by hand always runs. I suspect that the central part of the pulley may be locked solid ie the compressor has seized internally. Was there any significant resistance as you tried to turn the pulley?
Yeah i little resistance but not much at all
Old 24-02-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by erad View Post
The fan pulley looks shiny indicating the AC belt is rubbing. (Look at the shiny rings around the bell shaped pulley). This may not be apparent until the AC is ON and the engine revs are high. This may be the source of the burning smell and ultimately the belt failure.

This is what I was talking about in an earlier post. What size belt are you going to install next time? You may need to get a belt 1 cm shorter than previously.

Last edited by alchemysa; 26-02-16 at 10:04 PM.
Old 24-02-16

Before the belts snapped did your aircon work well or just ok? Did it actually work at all? Also check gas. If its short of refrigerant the compressor won't get any cooling back to it. so when it's hot bearings wear and could possibly start to seize causing belt to snap. Does the clutch on the front of compressor disengage when ac button off and engine running?
Old 24-02-16

Quote:
The fan pulley looks shiny
The pulley is shiny because the AC belt running from the crankshaft (A) to the AC tensioner pulley (B) is rubbing on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AC-belt.jpg (21.4 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by alchemysa; 26-02-16 at 10:03 PM.
Old 26-02-16

Quote:
The fan pulley looks shiny indicating the AC belt is rubbing. (Look at the shiny rings around the bell shaped pulley). This may not be apparent until the AC us ON and the engine revs are high. This may be the source of the burning smell and ultimately the belt failure.

This is what I was talking about in an earlier post. What size belt are you going to install next time? You may need to get a belt 1 cm shorter than previously.
Awesome,i was told the same thing by my mechanic m8 to get a smaller belt.