• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bru9
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Victoria

What do you do with On board water?

If it's used for showers you would only get a few out of a large tank.

Maybe it's a tradesman thing for washing hands & items. I can't see my self needing such a setup for going away & camping.

If it's used for drinking I would rather have water containers on roof rack & top up a few 2L container's stored in the 12V fridge. Which makes me think I would need another fridge just for water containers.

thanks
    2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5
  • Kingbrown
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Port Augusta - SA

eg: Warm weather, minimum for 2 people x 5L per person per day x 5 days travel = 50L (that's without any washing !)
    2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• stevemc181
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2012
      • Thornlie/Perth

Head out into the Simpson or some of the many other remote places and you'll soon find 60 or 70 litres needs to be managed carefully if it's the only water you'll have for a week or two. I use the fridge with water bottles filled from the 70 litre tank and always have a couple of spare full bottles tucked around the cab. This is in case of a major catastrophe with the tank.
      Carrying water on the roof isn't a good idea due to the weight (1kg per litre) and the resulting higher centre of gravity. For showering, the missus and I each get 5 litres which we recirculate in our shower bucket. Recirculating the water allows for longer showers, but generally a few minutes each is all that's required. Generally when camping we only shower every second day and use wet wipes on the other days for an APC clean (Arm Pits & Crotch)
      2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
      3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Rovingman
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2014
        • Blue mountains

I love those wet wipes camping, keeps you clean enough while your away..

The amount needed is different for each party. Personally with 3 kids I need alot for washing up, keeping them clean, cooking, drinking. Although I give mine up for beer.
        Pajero NT RX 2011
        Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
        LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• Paj People 2009
          Valued Member
          • Oct 2009
          • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

Originally posted by Bru9 View Post
          If it's used for showers you would only get a few out of a large tank.

Maybe it's a tradesman thing for washing hands & items. I can't see my self needing such a setup for going away & camping.

If it's used for drinking I would rather have water containers on roof rack & top up a few 2L container's stored in the 12V fridge. Which makes me think I would need another fridge just for water containers.

thanks

You can never have enough water when camping or touring! Agree with Steve about the weight on the roof, etc.

What do we use ours for? Drinking (we fill our tank with a B.E.S.T filter and RV hoses), washing down the boat trailer before we go out in it - this will delay the rust process dramatically, shower, run the boat motor at the ramp and again wash the trailer, etc. Wash the sale off at the beach, wash down any kayaks or surfboards, clean any muck or sand off the car. The uses are endless!

I reckon the Abber tank (or similar) in the 3rd row well is the best addition you can make!

Cheers,
          Sally
          SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

• aus_andyk
            • Nov 2013
            • Melbourne

Old Jack raised some really good ideas to assist with lowering your water usage when on a long haul trip:

Hope this helps
            Cheers
            Andy
            | PC Challenger Manual MY14 | Front eLocker | Dobinson MRR | 3.15 Gears | ARB Deluxe Bar | Runva 11XP | Bushskinz Sliders & Guards | Kaymar Rear Bar | LRA Tank | Safari Snorkel | Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 | Rhino Pioneer Platform | Foxwing Awning | Drifta Drawers | Lightforce Venom | Stedi Lightbar | Viair 480C | ARB 47L Fridge | GME TX3500 | TraxRax |

Comment

• Penchy
              Banned
              • Feb 2015
              • Sydney

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
              eg: Warm weather, minimum for 2 people x 5L per person per day x 5 days travel = 50L (that's without any washing !)

I want to see anyone drink 5L of water per day for minimum 5 days. Most I drink is around 3L and that's when I'm doing hard labour in a 45 degree shed at work.

Comment

• Downunder35m
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2011
                • Near Melbourne

I can tell you that on a hot summer day with a bit of fishing and some hiking I make it over the 6L mark quite easy.
                Of course if you spend your day driving with the aircon on and otherwise sit lazy in the shade you need less water.
                People working in the mines in WA drink over 20L per day, at least if you can trust those "documentaries" about them...
                '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
                Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

• aaron.miller
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2011
                  • Epping, NSW

When I was a geologist working west of Cue Wa, in January with temps in the high 40's drilling the crap out of an iron ore range, we had to drink 2 litres per hour. The camp caretaker came around every hr and if you hadn't finished the 2 litres you had to skull it, then start on the next 2 litres.
                  That was hard yakka though, and in winter we drank whatever we liked.
                  2012 PB 30th Anniversary Challenger, Arb 2.5m awning, Maxtrax, ORS Platform and MSA dropdown slide, Boo's Bashplates, MSA seat organisers with trays, GME 3120s uhf, GME 4705 UHF, Lovells Springs, Arb Deluxe Bullbar, Mitsubishi tow bar, 265/65 17 D697's At's, triple ram mount with ipad and lots more to come.

Comment

• GHendo
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Northern NSW

For storing drinking water on a trip, I’m not sure if it was on this forum or somewhere else I read what I considered a good idea. It was to fill a whole lot of either soft drink or milk bottles with water and put them strategically around the vehicle in places like nooks and crannies where other things wouldn’t fit. You have to make sure they are sealed well but by doing that you can end up with quite a bit of water and it virtually takes up no space – just “wasted” space.

Cheers

Geoff
                    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• jinks_one
                      • Feb 2012
                      • hoppers crossing

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
                      For storing drinking water on a trip, I’m not sure if it was on this forum or somewhere else I read what I considered a good idea. It was to fill a whole lot of either soft drink or milk bottles with water and put them strategically around the vehicle in places like nooks and crannies where other things wouldn’t fit. You have to make sure they are sealed well but by doing that you can end up with quite a bit of water and it virtually takes up no space – just “wasted” space.

Cheers

Geoff
                      That there is bloody good idea

Comment

• mckenzl
                        • Mar 2013
                        • WA

We carry 140L. Between the five of us we can last a full week (admittedly no long hikes or drilling iron ore hills). One tip we do is have a bucket to catch the hand wash water. Wash your hands in it again and then rinse with fresh. First thing in the morning decant the water off the top and that is the start of your hand washing bucket (actually quite clean). With three young kids we take a lot of wet wipes too!

Liam
                        Sold. 2007 NS VRX DID

Now. Isuzu MU-X MY17 LST

Comment

• sharkcaver
                          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                          • May 2009
                          • Perth

Originally posted by mckenzl View Post
                          We carry 140L. Between the five of us we can last a full week (admittedly no long hikes or drilling iron ore hills). One tip we do is have a bucket to catch the hand wash water. Wash your hands in it again and then rinse with fresh. First thing in the morning decant the water off the top and that is the start of your hand washing bucket (actually quite clean). With three young kids we take a lot of wet wipes too!

Liam
                          Far out. I will last over 4 weeks on 110L of water in warmer climates. I dont have 5 to cater for though (and probably stink a bit more )
                          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• m_and_m
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2010
                            • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
                            It was to fill a whole lot of either soft drink or milk bottles with water and put them strategically around the vehicle in places like nooks and crannies where other things wouldn’t fit.

Cheers

Geoff
                            Yep, great idea.
                            But, I wouldn't use milk bottles. I've found them to be quite weak. Softdrink bottle are far stronger...as they need to be strong enough to hold pressure.
                            2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                            2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                            Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Rovingman
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2014
                              • Blue mountains

Originally posted by Penchy View Post
                              I want to see anyone drink 5L of water per day for minimum 5 days. Most I drink is around 3L and that's when I'm doing hard labour in a 45 degree shed at work.
                              5lt of beer before i drink 5lt water!!!
                              Pajero NT RX 2011
                              Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
                              LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X